LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 135 users in the forums

We wont miss a step, and here's why...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Here's what will make me feel a little more confident in this off season of debacles and circumstance:

Kilgore comes back healthy and the oline is able to become a cohesive unit.

VD returns to form.

We sign Torrey Smith

Carrier or Millard show they are equal replacements to Delanie Walker.

Bowman is healthy.

We re-sign Cox.

We find a power back to back up Hyde.

Carradine steps up which allows...

Aldon to play like Aldon.

The two in bold i feel are the least likely. Especially vd. But i think bowman has over a 50% shot.

Do you think VD is hurt or something else?
Here's what will make me feel a little more confident in this off season of debacles and circumstance:

VD returns to form.

We sign Torrey Smith

Bowman is healthy.

We re-sign Cox.

Totally!

Kilgore comes back healthy and the oline is able to become a cohesive unit. - the best part is he was playing at a high level when he got hurt (so we know he can get better) PLUS Marcus Martin, Joe Looney and even Dillon Farrell all got live snaps at C as well. That's a great thing!

VD returns to form. - right now, coaches are analyzing players, their strengths and weaknesses and they know VD very well and how to use him...he's no secret. This won't be an offense where VD is just buried as a blocking TE like in the past. He's older too so the last thing they want is him throwing out his back blocking a DE.

We sign Torrey Smith - this will be a big signing b/c he's so young (just 26) and he adds a skill set that we never used (i.e. ability to stretch the field ala Moss, Lockette, Ginn, Marlon Moore, etc.). Anyone have a feeling we'll actually USE him now? I do! And if we don't sign him, there are options in FA and the draft.

Carrier or Millard show they are equal replacements to Delanie Walker. - if Miller gets in legal trouble, we now have a healthy Millard. Then again, if we move to a ZBS, thl/DeUh showed that Hyde/Hunter are actually used to running without a FB. So who knows if we even need/want an H-back or FB. If we use a more traditional WCO, then these 3 (Miller included) could become huge assets for us.

Bowman is healthy. - I'm holding my breathe on this one. But even worst case scenario, Borland and Wilhoite played all year together and played pretty well as a unit and should play even better this year (chemistry/familiarity). No doubt we'll try and nab an ILB via FA and the draft.

We re-sign Cox. - we can certainly afford to pay BOTH Culliver and Cox now but we typically only offer reasonable contracts. Culliver owes Baalke for standing by him all these years so we'll see if that is repaid here soon. If not, look to Brock (healthy) and Johnson starting on the outside with Ward (healthy) back in the slot and quality depth like a Cook-resigning, McFadden, Reaser, Acker, etc.

We find a power back to back up Hyde. - the best part about the NFL is that the RB's are undervalued. This means we could get another "Hyde" (best RB in the draft) late...2nd and 3rd round like last year.

Carradine steps up which allows...Aldon to play like Aldon. - yeah, he had 3 sacks the final 3 games plus was averaging the same number of tackles per game as Justin Smith. He also had 3 STF's which means he's not only playing off blocks but stuffing the RB in the backfield. This "activity" frees up both Aldon and Lynch/Brooks on the SAM side. Also, with Dockett, they may switch sides to provide additional confusion.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Totally!

Kilgore comes back healthy and the oline is able to become a cohesive unit. - the best part is he was playing at a high level when he got hurt (so we know he can get better) PLUS Marcus Martin, Joe Looney and even Dillon Farrell all got live snaps at C as well. That's a great thing!

VD returns to form. - right now, coaches are analyzing players, their strengths and weaknesses and they know VD very well and how to use him...he's no secret. This won't be an offense where VD is just buried as a blocking TE like in the past. He's older too so the last thing they want is him throwing out his back blocking a DE.

We sign Torrey Smith - this will be a big signing b/c he's so young (just 26) and he adds a skill set that we never used (i.e. ability to stretch the field ala Moss, Lockette, Ginn, Marlon Moore, etc.). Anyone have a feeling we'll actually USE him now? I do! And if we don't sign him, there are options in FA and the draft.

Carrier or Millard show they are equal replacements to Delanie Walker. - if Miller gets in legal trouble, we now have a healthy Millard. Then again, if we move to a ZBS, thl/DeUh showed that Hyde/Hunter are actually used to running without a FB. So who knows if we even need/want an H-back or FB. If we use a more traditional WCO, then these 3 (Miller included) could become huge assets for us.

Bowman is healthy. - I'm holding my breathe on this one. But even worst case scenario, Borland and Wilhoite played all year together and played pretty well as a unit and should play even better this year (chemistry/familiarity). No doubt we'll try and nab an ILB via FA and the draft.

We re-sign Cox. - we can certainly afford to pay BOTH Culliver and Cox now but we typically only offer reasonable contracts. Culliver owes Baalke for standing by him all these years so we'll see if that is repaid here soon. If not, look to Brock (healthy) and Johnson starting on the outside with Ward (healthy) back in the slot and quality depth like a Cook-resigning, McFadden, Reaser, Acker, etc.

We find a power back to back up Hyde. - the best part about the NFL is that the RB's are undervalued. This means we could get another "Hyde" (best RB in the draft) late...2nd and 3rd round like last year.

Carradine steps up which allows...Aldon to play like Aldon. - yeah, he had 3 sacks the final 3 games plus was averaging the same number of tackles per game as Justin Smith. He also had 3 STF's which means he's not only playing off blocks but stuffing the RB in the backfield. This "activity" frees up both Aldon and Lynch/Brooks on the SAM side. Also, with Dockett, they may switch sides to provide additional confusion.

You have a better chance of winning the lottery and getting struck by lightening on the same day than all of these pipe dreams coming to fruition lol
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Totally!

You have a better chance of winning the lottery and getting struck by lightening on the same day than all of these pipe dreams coming to fruition lol

I disagree. It's very likely that ALL of these will happen, save the issue with Bowman.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Lil Jed got his new stadium. That's what he cared about. Now nothing matters to him. Wins, losses, whatever. He knows no matter what he does, what ever decisions he makes people will still come. They will still pay high prices and come to games. No matter how unhappy we fans are. No matter how terrible the team looks. Jed still got what he wanted.
People talk so much crap about Jerry Jones. I'm not a fan myself of his. But I can atleast say he tries to win. No matter how dumb he looks at times or how terrible of a GM he is but in his own Looney way he at least trys.

Stopped at, 'Jed.'

Well, you know, it is Jed's fault that Miller hit his girl, Justin is 35 and considering retirement and Willis doesn't feel like he can return as the elite player he once was. Who knows... it's probably Jed's fault that I have tummy ache, too

I don't think I mentioned any of those players in this post. If you read it and got that conclusion then next time I will include pictures to help you.
You bet. My heart was hurting too (esp. regarding Willis) but context helps a lot and the reality is, Willis, Justin and Gore aren't able to give what they used to give...clearly. When that happens, you better have a transition plan. And we did.

Can we replace 1,100 yards rushing (Gore)? - before FA and the draft even starts we have Carlos Hyde; Kendall Hunter, Phillip Tanner, Jarryd Hayne, Alfonso Smith & Kendall Gaskins. Only two teams rushed more than we did last year. Is there any doubt we could collect 1,100 yards with Hyde let alone Hyde/Hunter/FA/Draft/Hayne, etc.?
Can we replace 700 yards receiving (Crabtree)? - imagine a WR that plays as passionately as Boldin...his name is Torrey Smith/Patton/Ellington. Now they'll finally get to show it on the field. And don't be surprised if we nab someone like DGB (prototypical WCO WR for Boldin's replacement next year)
Can we replace a 1-trick pony LG (power pull-guard)? - Looney alone is already a good pulling G and probably better in pass protection but we're already expecting great competition with Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin (a slimmed downed MM!). We'll be moving to a zone blocking scheme most likely so we won't need the "power" (aka fatties) as much anymore.
Can we replace 43 tackles and 5 sacks (Justin)? - Dockett put up similar numbers prior to his injury. What we also forget is that with Mangini, we may not run the same vanilla scheme (everyone just plays their position and follows assignments); Justin's "job" was to either bull rush and/or tie up two OL for Aldon to wreak havoc. With this front 7, there are endless uses for creative blitzes and attacking holes along the DL. Also, ALL of these players are versatile meaning you can move them all over the play to provide additional pre-snap confusion. We're expecting big jumps in play in year 2 for Dial over at LDE (natural position) and Tank (who came on big time at the end of the year with additional snaps). Don't forget about Okoye (year 3) and Ramsey (red-shirted) as well. Dorsey and Williams will be healthy together for the first time ever and bring different skill sets.
RDE: Tank Carradine; Kaleb Ramsey & Lawrence Okoye
LDE: Quinton Dial/Darnell Dockett; Tony Jerrod-Eddie
NT: Glenn Dorsey/Ian Williams; Mike Purcell & Garrison Smith
WILL: Aldon Smith; Corey Lemonier
SAM: Aaron Lynch; Ahmad Brooks & Chase Thomas
Can we replace 34 tackles (Willis)? - Borland alone averaged 11.25 tackles a game and was on pace for 180 tackles (40 more than Bowman's best season and 10 more than Willis). He also was on pace to have twice as many STF's over both. Coverage, clearly, he's not as good but coverage was also the one weakness of Willis (not Bowman). Also, will Mangini ask his ILB's to be in coverage so much or play down hill? Chances are, he'll use more DB's on the field.

Did I mention that we start FA today? We have some $22-25M now. Did I mentioned in a month and 1/2, we'll be picking #15 with 9 picks at the moment?

We lost leaders and older 49er icons who gave us tremendous memories when they were at their peaks and performing at a high level. But don't discredit talent. We have a ton of it and EVERYONE has us pegged for last place. This team is primed to shock everyone. But the intelligent fan should be able to see the roster for what it is...top 3-5 talent-wise and probably the best in terms of depth and experienced depth. It will now just be on the coaches to "teach them up" and put them in the best position to succeed, while running similar systems, with better game planning, situational awareness, series of calls, etc.

Bottom line: FA starts today and Baalke has already been very busy filling out the 90 (most active during the pre-FA period) and a whole lot of cap space just opened up for us. We still don't have many "needs" which is a great sign. I still don't even think I can find a spot where a rookie would "start" this year!

Very nice. I have been saying the same thing. If we lose cully and cox our 2 nd cb spot opens up for a rookie......that is unless d Johnson doesn't take it. We still have a great top 3 roster and with Torrey smith and a HEALTHY TEAM with Kilgore a Davis VD on offense we will improve.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Wow, nice breakdown there. Please enlighten us to your wisdom here. We'd ALL love to hear!

VD returns to form.

We sign Torrey Smith

Bowman is healthy.

We re-sign Cox.

Totally!

One thing you haven't mentioned is the return of Anthony Davis. I think missing him for essentially the year and the disappearance of Vernon were the biggest hits to our offense on the year, which is ultimately what took us from 10-6 team to an 8-8 one. Those final couple of game where Davis started we ran the ball down team's throats. He is a massive massive upgrade over Jonathan Martin and I think it will show this year if he can stay healthy.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Very nice. I have been saying the same thing. If we lose cully and cox our 2 nd cb spot opens up for a rookie......that is unless d Johnson doesn't take it. We still have a great top 3 roster and with Torrey smith and a HEALTHY TEAM with Kilgore a Davis VD on offense we will improve.

Originally posted by JohnMatrix:
One thing you haven't mentioned is the return of Anthony Davis. I think missing him for essentially the year and the disappearance of Vernon were the biggest hits to our offense on the year, which is ultimately what took us from 10-6 team to an 8-8 one. Those final couple of game where Davis started we ran the ball down team's throats. He is a massive massive upgrade over Jonathan Martin and I think it will show this year if he can stay healthy.

I'll be honest, this is a great point. I keep reminding everyone we ended the year with 18 players on I.R. But we haven't gone into WHO those 18 players are. So this is a terrific point.

Injured Reserve:
RB: Kendall Hunter
WR Kassim Osgood
WR: Chuck Jacobs
TE: Vance McDonald
TE: Derek Carrier
TE: Garrett Celek
G: Fou Fonoti
C: Daniel Kilgore
NT: Glenn Dorsey
NT: Ian Williams
ILB: Patrick Willis
ILB: NaVorro Bowman
ILB: Chris Borland
CB: Kenneth Acker
CB: Chris Cook
DB: Jimmie Ward
OT: Luke Marquardt

Reserve/Non Football Injury:
FB: Trey Millard
OG: Brandon Thomas
CB: Keith Reaser

Reserve/Physically Unable To Perform:
DE: Kaleb Ramsey

Practice Squad:
OT Chris Martin
WR Lance Lewis
TE Xavier Grimble
RB Kendall Gaskins
NT Mike Purcell
DE Lawrence Okoye
OLB Shane Skov
OLB Chase Thomas
CB Cameron Fuller

Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/177313-2014-team-needs-updates/#gr5w8PeQwSHjjrRT.99

@JameyEisenberg: Just spoke to Anquan Boldin. He said Torrey Smith is going to the #49ers as a done deal. Said he helped with recruiting.

https://twitter.com/jameyeisenberg/status/575304058631798784
We won't miss a beat because we have replacements for every guy leaving
Originally posted by 49erGlory:
@JameyEisenberg: Just spoke to Anquan Boldin. He said Torrey Smith is going to the #49ers as a done deal. Said he helped with recruiting.

https://twitter.com/jameyeisenberg/status/575304058631798784

God bless you Boldin! You have been a heaven-send for us!
Originally posted by LVJay:
Lil Jed got his new stadium. That's what he cared about. Now nothing matters to him. Wins, losses, whatever. He knows no matter what he does, what ever decisions he makes people will still come. They will still pay high prices and come to games. No matter how unhappy we fans are. No matter how terrible the team looks. Jed still got what he wanted.
People talk so much crap about Jerry Jones. I'm not a fan myself of his. But I can atleast say he tries to win. No matter how dumb he looks at times or how terrible of a GM he is but in his own Looney way he at least trys.

Stopped at, 'Jed.'

Well, you know, it is Jed's fault that Miller hit his girl, Justin is 35 and considering retirement and Willis doesn't feel like he can return as the elite player he once was. Who knows... it's probably Jed's fault that I have tummy ache, too

I don't think I mentioned any of those players in this post. If you read it and got that conclusion then next time I will include pictures to help you.

I'm probably going to need a few pictures to help me understand why an NFL owner actually wants his team to lose. Help me out there, could you?
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
We won't miss a beat because we have replacements for every guy leaving

And the players we lost all produced the least of their careers (Justin Smith with 34 tackles and 5 sacks), (Gore 1,106 and 4.3 - 2nd lowest for both in career) and of course Willis (only 20 games the past 2 years and 34 tackles last year).
Share 49ersWebzone