LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 124 users in the forums

We wont miss a step, and here's why...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What kind of cracks me up about this thread is how quickly and angrily people rush to their keyboards to chastise anyone with a positive thought. When you read through the posts, this jumps out. Every time someone offers a positive take, one or two fans immediately and sternly almost scold them for being dead wrong.
Originally posted by crake49:
What kind of cracks me up about this thread is how quickly and angrily people rush to their keyboards to chastise anyone with a positive thought. When you read through the posts, this jumps out. Every time someone offers a positive take, one or two fans immediately and sternly almost scold them for being dead wrong.

It's pretty much the same approach as KKFC. They OWN these fans!

Notice how none of them ever offer a counter either...let alone an intelligent, well-thought out one.

Just one-line vent-machines.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
You have a better chance of winning the lottery and getting struck by lightening on the same day than all of these pipe dreams coming to fruition lol

Wow, nice breakdown there. Please enlighten us to your wisdom here. We'd ALL love to hear!

My wisdom is we were an 8 win team last year in the toughest division. Have we improved? I laugh at all this speculation since FA HASN'T EVEN STARTED YET.

I laugh at everyone saying will we have no drop off from Willis or Cowboy to Borland or Tank. Does Tank require two blockers on every play and still disrupt said play? I know Cowboy does. Borland is super promising, but he is not Willis. Willis was insane over all. Borland cannot cover like Willis did, that changes the scheme right there. I laugh how if we lose Gore we will not miss a beat because Hydes 83 career carries are proof he is the real deal, not Gore who gave us over 2400 attempts during a wonderful ten year career. Does everyone really think we wont have a drop off losing so many key players?

Also that is on the field. We are losing probably the 3 most respected 49ers in the locker room and last time I checked they don't exactly have a great reputation for staying out of trouble to begin with.

We lost a ton of talent and at this point I expect it to be a rough year. To keep pace in the division the defense would need to maintain a top 5 caliber play. The offense needs to improve immensely. All of this is in question now. Our rivals are improving. The Rams, Cardinals, and Hawks have not experienced the talent loss we are going through right now. If we were in the AFC east I would be more optimistic, but we are not. Everyone who thinks a complete coaching staff overhaul wont affect the teams performance.... it will have growing pains. Oh yeah, our front office isn't exactly respected around the league. None of this adds up to promote success.

That being said I 100% agree that Crabtree sucks and Smith is an upgrade. I do begrudgingly agree to let Gore walk - better a year early, than a year late - its just also silly to say Hyde will step right in no dropoff - no way. I think they are trying to mitigate the defensive loses with wise acquisitions (Dockette). But i still think we will have a drop off from the success of the past few years.

Before we guarantee doom or glory lets see what FA we pick up and how the draft goes.
[ Edited by Cisco0623 on Mar 10, 2015 at 8:30 AM ]

It's pretty much the same approach as KKFC. They OWN these fans!

Notice how none of them ever offer a counter either...let alone an intelligent, well-thought out one.

Just one-line vent-machines.

Or just the little head laughing at you... can't argue with that!
Originally posted by THEB:
Baalke has been preparing for this day to come. We already have or are set to acquire all the replacements for the guys we lost, and some of them are better than who we lost.

Frank Gore - He will be replaced with a tandem of Hyde and Hunter (if hunter can recover from the injury) I firmly believe that even if we just had Hyde, it will be a slight improvement in speed and stamina. We will lose a team leader, but whos to say Carlos cant step into that role until he has the chance to?

Justin Smith - He wasnt great by any means last year, and we have Dockett coming in to help solidify the d line.

Patrick Willis - I can confidently say that Borland is better than Pat right now. Pat was obviously better in his prime, but right now is what counts, and what Borland did last year was spectacular.

Michael Crabtree - Bringing in Torrey Smith will be a HUGE upgrade over Crabtree, who most of us are ready to let go of.

Jim Harbaugh and Staff - Jim & staff are seriously the only loss that im not confident we have replaced with equal or better talent, but i have to hold judgement until i see Tomsulas staff perform.

first of all Baalke is a moron , he inherited this team from MaCholugh
we don't know if Hyde will be as effective as Gore , Game in , game out .
Justin Smith was and is the best player we had on the line this year last and the year before that cuz if it was not for him getting double and triple teamed we would not have the likes of unsown rookies pass rushers to sack the QB's
Borland couldn't hold Willis's Jock strap , he is a good player but he can cover for s**t and can't run down a WR like Willis
I give you Crabtree , he is useless .
the New players needs good Coaches if you think what we have is good coaches you are blind as a bat , no one wanted them or offer to hire them other than 49ers out of desperation.

6-10 if we are lucky . Baalke couldn't pick a good players to save his life .
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Borland is not better than Willis even the injury plaqued Willis that was here the last 1/2 season.Stop it
Originally posted by cNiner:
Justin Smith was and is the best player we had on the line this year last and the year before that cuz if it was not for him getting double and triple teamed we would not have the likes of unsown rookies pass rushers to sack the QB's
Borland couldn't hold Willis's Jock strap , he is a good player but he can cover for s**t and can't run down a WR like Willis
the New players needs good Coaches if you think what we have is good coaches you are blind as a bat , no one wanted them or offer to hire them other than 49ers out of desperation.

Can't get past this line. Comedy!
My wisdom is we were an 8 win team last year in the toughest division. Have we improved? I laugh at all this speculation since FA HASN'T EVEN STARTED YET.

I laugh at everyone saying will we have no drop off from Willis or Cowboy to Borland or Tank. Does Tank require two blockers on every play and still disrupt said play? I know Cowboy does. Borland is super promising, but he is not Willis. Willis was insane over all. Borland cannot cover like Willis did, that changes the scheme right there. I laugh how if we lose Gore we will not miss a beat because Hydes 83 career carries are proof he is the real deal, not Gore who gave us over 2400 attempts during a wonderful ten year career. Does everyone really think we wont have a drop off losing so many key players?

Also that is on the field. We are losing probably the 3 most respected 49ers in the locker room and last time I checked they don't exactly have a great reputation for staying out of trouble to begin with.

We lost a ton of talent and at this point I expect it to be a rough year. To keep pace in the division the defense would need to maintain a top 5 caliber play. The offense needs to improve immensely. All of this is in question now. Our rivals are improving. The Rams, Cardinals, and Hawks have not experienced the talent loss we are going through right now. If we were in the AFC east I would be more optimistic, but we are not. Everyone who thinks a complete coaching staff overhaul wont affect the teams performance.... it will have growing pains. Oh yeah, our front office isn't exactly respected around the league. None of this adds up to promote success.

That being said I 100% agree that Crabtree sucks and Smith is an upgrade. I do begrudgingly agree to let Gore walk - better a year early, than a year late - its just also silly to say Hyde will step right in no dropoff - no way. I think they are trying to mitigate the defensive loses with wise acquisitions (Dockette). But i still think we will have a drop off from the success of the past few years.

Before we guarantee doom or glory lets see what FA we pick up and how the draft goes.

What exactly have our NFC rivals done lately that gives you the impression that they're improving?

Since the defense made top 5 with Borland and Wilhoit as ILB'S and without the full-time playing of Aldon Smith, why are you so sure there will be a huge drop off with Borland/Wilhoit and Bowman along with a season-long Aldon Smith?

Setting aside the musings of sports media hacks, what exactly makes you think the front office isn't respected around the league. Do you have any quotes from other GM's, scouts or trainers without a specific player-related bone to pick?

Is it possible that since Foerster will probably move to a ZBS, Hyde might actually do a lot better than you expect?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

its ok for them to call us homers, blind homers etc. employees of jed( will never get over that one) i think they must have worked in the obama white house because the first thing they have to do is try to destroy the messenger if it is not what they want to hear or think everyone else should hear. i am not sad about gore, surprised about willis but will get over it, whatever justin decides is fine with me. i also know their are lots and lots of people in this world from announcers, to any sort of media to former players coaches employees of the niners who will bury this team at any chance they had so i am numb to the hate we hear in the media about us. i look forward to how free agency shakes out, i look forward to the draft,, i really look to see how our team is put together in camp and pre season. nothing that has taken place in the last 24 hours has made me lose my faith in our team. as crake said,, the people who think different are practically foaming at the mouth as i dare take a positive view so i will now end and allow them to trot out their worn out talking points because god forbid,, we can not allow a positive thought about our team enter their universe.. i am sure the word denia or blind homer will be part of their blather
Originally posted by cNiner:

Can't get past this line. Comedy!

Right. A couple of years ago, he was GM of the year. Now he's an idiot. Unbelievable.

I've been on 49erswebzone for I would say 10 years or so now, but barely post at all. I also notice that in life in general, people tend to react based of their emotions instead of sitting down and cooling off before reacting. I've found it is never smart to react instantly, but to think it over. So for some people to react just like the media is, bothers me quite a bit and kind of makes my blood boil just how naive some fans could be.

I completely agree with the original poster in this thread. I'm going to go over the losses in free agency with you guys now that we had 24 hours to cool off.

Mike Iupati: Sure, the guy has been a great run blocker these first few years of his career with us. However, I feel ever since he got hurt in the Seattle game in the NFC championship two years ago, he was a shell of his former self - especially in the pass blocking department. We drafted Brandon Thomas who was supposed to go much higher in the draft, but fell to us due to his injury. Also, we will have Kilgore returning from his injury and Marcus Martin who seems like he could be a future fixture on the OL (Only 21-22 years old) . Between Kilgore/Martin/Thomas plus Looney and a FA/Rookie, I think our interior line (LG/C) will be just fine, and pretty inexpensive for the meantime.

Patrick Willis: Ok, I have to be honest his retirement shocked me. I think he still had some left in the tank, but a nagging toe injury and his religious beliefs caused him to hang it up early. Although, we still have Borland and Wilhoite from last year, who held things down and brought us to a Top 5-10 overall defense. Bowman coming back should be good, assuming he is fully healthy as he will be a very important part of the defense. Only positive here is we just freed up some more cap space and we have depth to hold down the fort.

Frank Gore: I think I read we offered him 4.5 million for his services. He is reading the tea-leaves that this team is in flux at the moment, as we won't know how the coaching staff will turn out for us. He's got 1-2 years left in this league and he wants a title and to be a workhorse back. I see him going to Indy. I'm also perfectly fine with Carlos Hyde, all of the analysts last year claimed he was one of the best RBs in his class, and I'm friends with a lot of serious Ohio State fans who would agree with that. Kendall was always solid, I wouldn't be surprised if we draft a RB in the first three rounds that knock Kendall off the roster after training camp. Rumors of Ryan Matthews coming to us as well (although I'm not a huge fan he is solid) RBs are much easier to find in my opinion. We can draft a back/flex guy and end up with a situation like Cincy has now with Hill/Bernard.

Justin Smith: He still may end up returning, so we'll see what happens. If he does come back, I LOVE the depth on the DL with Justin/Dorsey/Dockett as the 3 starters. Carradine/TJE/Ian Williams would provide a nice rotation. If Justin does not return, I can see us adding a vet or a high draft pick (first 3 rounds) on another DL. Wildcard here is Lawrence Okoye if he could ever put it all together. Also if he left that frees up more cap space to help out (not to mention he only played 60% of snaps last year, so he isn't quite his old self).

On the rest of the free agents as I write this: Crabtree is as good as gone, and I consider that a positive if you bring in Torrey Smith and Jerome Simpson who add speed (finally). We need to resign either Cox or Cully to form a solid duo with Brock/Jimmy Ward and Dontae Johnson. Also We'll see what happens with Kennith Acker and the rest of free agency/draft at that spot. Baalke has had a reputation for drafting CBs late and getting production.

Again, you're making the same mistake many fans are...living in the past. You aren't looking at what Gore, Smith and Willis add TODAY. You think this is 2012 again and that is just not reality at all. And the guys who ARE on the field are producing more than you realize (I've posted those for everyone several times). You also aren't factoring in HOW players will be used in our new/old system. Justin is a bull-rush King and he gets away with "holding" b/c of who he is. So we used him that way and Aldon had a field day. Now, we have Tank AND Dockett who can rush the passer ALONG with Aldon and Lynch and both can slide inside to DT and rush from there as well (not a strength of Justin's). Can either tie up blockers the way Justin could for Aldon? Probably not...at his prime, he was the best at that skill set. But the past two years now, Justin has battled big injuries himself that didn't allow HIM to be HIM the second half of each of the past two seasons and consequently, Aldon's numbers dropped. Justin only played 60% last year.

So no, I don't think we'll have a drop-off. I think Tank, Hyde and Borland actually have the "license" to produce significantly better than Willis, Smith and Gore in 2013. I hear your skepticism though...but I'm approaching this with actual stats/production on the field and also under the assumption that with more snaps and training this off season (mentality) as full time starters, they will be "arrow up." That's all. Again, they still have to do it, but I think it's fair to say that all three players have big time potential and we shouldn't discredit that b/c we love Smith/Gore/Willis esp. from 2 years ago!
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 10, 2015 at 8:54 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
its ok for them to call us homers, blind homers etc. employees of jed( will never get over that one) i think they must have worked in the obama white house because the first thing they have to do is try to destroy the messenger if it is not what they want to hear or think everyone else should hear. i am not sad about gore, surprised about willis but will get over it, whatever justin decides is fine with me. i also know their are lots and lots of people in this world from announcers, to any sort of media to former players coaches employees of the niners who will bury this team at any chance they had so i am numb to the hate we hear in the media about us. i look forward to how free agency shakes out, i look forward to the draft,, i really look to see how our team is put together in camp and pre season. nothing that has taken place in the last 24 hours has made me lose my faith in our team. as crake said,, the people who think different are practically foaming at the mouth as i dare take a positive view so i will now end and allow them to trot out their worn out talking points because god forbid,, we can not allow a positive thought about our team enter their universe.. i am sure the word denia or blind homer will be part of their blather

All sorts of dismissive, condescending names for any Niner fan who dares hope for the best or who finds anything positive to latch on to in this chaotic off season, but you question their commitment to being a Niner fan and they'll throw a conniption fit.
As far as I know Justin Smith has not retired yet. Everyone is acting like it is already done. He might make it official soon but what if he doesn't. Don't jump the gun.
Love Borland, but he had only finished 1 season healthy in his career college an pros. Il take a wait an see approach with him. He really seams to be a Bob Sanders type right now. Amazing talent but small in stature an a bit fragile
Share 49ersWebzone