LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 141 users in the forums

We wont miss a step, and here's why...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
f**k lupati. of all the guys i will not miss.. 4.5 million for gore is more than fair. fine see ya frank and i will welcome you back to the fold when you retire. we have a good defensive line right now in my opinion without country so whatever happens there i am fine with
Originally posted by Gelder:
I've been on 49erswebzone for I would say 10 years or so now, but barely post at all. I also notice that in life in general, people tend to react based of their emotions instead of sitting down and cooling off before reacting. I've found it is never smart to react instantly, but to think it over. So for some people to react just like the media is, bothers me quite a bit and kind of makes my blood boil just how naive some fans could be.

I completely agree with the original poster in this thread. I'm going to go over the losses in free agency with you guys now that we had 24 hours to cool off.

Mike Iupati: Sure, the guy has been a great run blocker these first few years of his career with us. However, I feel ever since he got hurt in the Seattle game in the NFC championship two years ago, he was a shell of his former self - especially in the pass blocking department. We drafted Brandon Thomas who was supposed to go much higher in the draft, but fell to us due to his injury. Also, we will have Kilgore returning from his injury and Marcus Martin who seems like he could be a future fixture on the OL (Only 21-22 years old) . Between Kilgore/Martin/Thomas plus Looney and a FA/Rookie, I think our interior line (LG/C) will be just fine, and pretty inexpensive for the meantime.

Patrick Willis: Ok, I have to be honest his retirement shocked me. I think he still had some left in the tank, but a nagging toe injury and his religious beliefs caused him to hang it up early. Although, we still have Borland and Wilhoite from last year, who held things down and brought us to a Top 5-10 overall defense. Bowman coming back should be good, assuming he is fully healthy as he will be a very important part of the defense. Only positive here is we just freed up some more cap space and we have depth to hold down the fort.

Frank Gore: I think I read we offered him 4.5 million for his services. He is reading the tea-leaves that this team is in flux at the moment, as we won't know how the coaching staff will turn out for us. He's got 1-2 years left in this league and he wants a title and to be a workhorse back. I see him going to Indy. I'm also perfectly fine with Carlos Hyde, all of the analysts last year claimed he was one of the best RBs in his class, and I'm friends with a lot of serious Ohio State fans who would agree with that. Kendall was always solid, I wouldn't be surprised if we draft a RB in the first three rounds that knock Kendall off the roster after training camp. Rumors of Ryan Matthews coming to us as well (although I'm not a huge fan he is solid) RBs are much easier to find in my opinion. We can draft a back/flex guy and end up with a situation like Cincy has now with Hill/Bernard.

Justin Smith: He still may end up returning, so we'll see what happens. If he does come back, I LOVE the depth on the DL with Justin/Dorsey/Dockett as the 3 starters. Carradine/TJE/Ian Williams would provide a nice rotation. If Justin does not return, I can see us adding a vet or a high draft pick (first 3 rounds) on another DL. Wildcard here is Lawrence Okoye if he could ever put it all together. Also if he left that frees up more cap space to help out (not to mention he only played 60% of snaps last year, so he isn't quite his old self).

On the rest of the free agents as I write this: Crabtree is as good as gone, and I consider that a positive if you bring in Torrey Smith and Jerome Simpson who add speed (finally). We need to resign either Cox or Cully to form a solid duo with Brock/Jimmy Ward and Dontae Johnson. Also We'll see what happens with Kennith Acker and the rest of free agency/draft at that spot. Baalke has had a reputation for drafting CBs late and getting production.

You need to post more often!
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Borland is not better than Willis even the injury plaqued Willis that was here the last 1/2 season.Stop it

Really??? How many people agree with that??? If that's what fans believe wow. Not what the tape and stats say but ok you continue to think that. Willis hasn't been "great" since 2010 because of his toe injury. He's been good and a great leader but not a great player. Just because someone wins an award like a Pro Bowl berth doesn't mean much these days. Love Patrick Willis but no he was not better than Borland last year. Lol.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
Love Borland, but he had only finished 1 season healthy in his career college an pros. Il take a wait an see approach with him. He really seams to be a Bob Sanders type right now. Amazing talent but small in stature an a bit fragile

I think this is a fair concern! I also think that is why we locked up Wilhoite as well. I agree that he just plays balls-out (esp. last year to make an impression); I wonder, if knowing he'll be a FT starter, if he'll dial it back a bit or the coaches will teach him how to tone it down while still remaining very effective? Thoughts?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Again, you're making the same mistake many fans are...living in the past. You aren't looking at what Gore, Smith and Willis add TODAY. You think this is 2012 again and that is just not reality at all. And the guys who ARE on the field are producing more than you realize. You also aren't factoring in HOW players will be used in our new/old system. Justin is a bull-rush King and he gets away with "holding" b/c of who he is. So we used him that way and Aldon has a field day. Now, we have Tank AND Dockett who can rush the passer ALONG with Justin and Lynch and both can slide inside to DT and rush from there as well. Can either tie up blockers the way Justin could for Aldon? Probably not...at his prime, he was the best at that skill set. But the past two years now, Justin has battled big injuries that didn't allow HIM to be HIM the second half of both season and consequently, Aldon's numbers dropped too.

So no, I don't think we'll have a drop-off. I think Tank, Hyde and Borland actually have the "license" to produce significantly better than Willis, Smith and Gore in 2013.
I hear your skepticism though...but I'm approaching this with actual stats/production on the field and also under the assumption that with more snaps and training this off season as full time starters, they will be "arrow up." That's all. Again, they still have to do it, but I think it's fair to see that all three players have big time potential and we shouldn't discredit that b/c we love Smith/Gore/Willis esp. from 2 years ago!

Fair enough, but also realize I am not attacking hopeful fans, I am stating why people are also pessimistic. Some comments on here are stupid - from both perspectives and i see both attacking each others opinions. Even i fall victim to it from time to time lol If everything works out like this thread suggests we would have won 4 Super Bowls in a row. My point is its not probable cause unforeseen things always happen. Who on this forum would have predicted Vernon Davis' past season? Can anyone explain that? Also I feel Gore had great year and look at what he did the last two weeks when they relied on him again! Hyde MAY work out, but there will be growing pains and we simply dont know.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
As far as I know Justin Smith has not retired yet. Everyone is acting like it is already done. He might make it official soon but what if he doesn't. Don't jump the gun.

Exactly! Excellent point...but just in case...we still good.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Fair enough, but also realize I am not attacking hopeful fans, I am stating why people are also pessimistic. Some comments on here are stupid - from both perspectives and i see both attacking each others opinions. Even i fall victim to it from time to time lol If everything works out like this thread suggests we would have won 4 Super Bowls in a row. My point is its not probable cause unforeseen things always happen. Who on this forum would have predicted Vernon Davis' past season? Can anyone explain that? Also I feel Gore had great year and look at what he did the last two weeks when they relied on him again! Hyde MAY work out, but there will be growing pains and we simply dont know.

Totally get that and I appreciate the response and discussion! Let's be real...we had 17/21 players on I.R. Probability says we that won't happen again so that could make a big difference this year! At least I hope so!
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 10, 2015 at 9:19 AM ]
Originally posted by crake49:
What exactly have our NFC rivals done lately that gives you the impression that they're improving?

Since the defense made top 5 with Borland and Wilhoit as ILB'S and without the full-time playing of Aldon Smith, why are you so sure there will be a huge drop off with Borland/Wilhoit and Bowman along with a season-long Aldon Smith?

Setting aside the musings of sports media hacks, what exactly makes you think the front office isn't respected around the league. Do you have any quotes from other GM's, scouts or trainers without a specific player-related bone to pick?

Is it possible that since Foerster will probably move to a ZBS, Hyde might actually do a lot better than you expect?

What was our record in the division last year? We lost a lot of players. Have they? Lets see how FA and the draft goes for THEM as well. Those are 6 very very tough games next year,

Who said huge dropoff? Do you really think they will step right up under new coaches/schemes and play the same without Cowboy, P52, and who knows what else will happen? Maybe throughout the season they will gel and play fantastic, but I expect mistakes early on at a minimum.

Is this even debatable? Everyone knows he is in his own way - just look at his twitter feed. My biggest concern is Baalke doesn't jump ship! (Yes, I like him)

Is it possible? A ZBS may work great yes? How probably is the line will learn the new scheme with out issue after running a different scheme the past 4 years? It could work, but again, I don't expect it week 1.

Oh yeah, another huge question mark is how this new coaching staff works out. What if the defenders hate Mangina (lol) ? He didnt exactly pan out with the Jets or Browns. Players weren't exactly praising him.
[ Edited by Cisco0623 on Mar 10, 2015 at 9:05 AM ]
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Do you think VD is hurt or something else?

I just think he lost it. Hoping he proves me wrong. But signing the 3rd te to an extension leans me think so too.
Oh by the way, what an insane offseason in general. I wish the 49ers weren't so prominent, but its been crazy all over. I cant wait to see what goes down later and this week. At this point I am excited to see how the first round of the draft goes. We could seriously go in an direction. Would anyone be made if we moved up for Gordon? So many options.

Oh by the way, what an insane offseason in general. I wish the 49ers weren't so prominent, but its been crazy all over. I cant wait to see what goes down later and this week. At this point I am excited to see how the first round of the draft goes. We could seriously go in an direction. Would anyone be made if we moved up for Gordon? So many options.

Looks like we're signing Torrey Smith to a 4-5 years, only $6.5M per. That's a terrific contract/value.
Looks like we're signing Torrey Smith to a 4-5 years, only $6.5M per. That's a terrific contract/value.

Waaaaay better fit for us than craptree. lol

He takes the top off - lets boldin do his thing and then we can work patton and ellington underneath as well. Vd is the big ? here. I hope these coaches are up to par man.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erz4Life:
Originally posted by 9er2k:
Borland is not better than Willis even the injury plaqued Willis that was here the last 1/2 season.Stop it

Really??? How many people agree with that??? If that's what fans believe wow. Not what the tape and stats say but ok you continue to think that. Willis hasn't been "great" since 2010 because of his toe injury. He's been good and a great leader but not a great player. Just because someone wins an award like a Pro Bowl berth doesn't mean much these days. Love Patrick Willis but no he was not better than Borland last year. Lol.

Since 2010!? Willis does everything like cover people. Borland is an excellent tackler and thats about the just of his game right now.No offense I like Borland but he's a tad bit overrated to me at this point.I hope he proves me wrong

Waaaaay better fit for us than craptree. lol

He takes the top off - lets boldin do his thing and then we can work patton and ellington underneath as well. Vd is the big ? here. I hope these coaches are up to par man.

I couldn't agree more! Yeah, individually, coaches (esp. assistants) look great...now, how does Mangini and Geep do...how do they ALL do collectively? Can Tomsula manage them all? We shall see...either way, TALENT won't be a reason to fail.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ercrusher:
Originally posted by cris_sonic:

i hope jim tomsula,york and balke are inside..

v
Share 49ersWebzone