LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 103 users in the forums

We wont miss a step, and here's why...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
f**k all the doubters
Maybe this will help. We had to rely on THREE MIKE ILB's last year. THREE. One was a rookie, one barely made the team and the other was a 30 year old who, obviously, was very beat up and not in his prime anymore. Between the three, they still produced 162 total tackles, 1 sack, 12 TFL, 8 PD's, 3 INT's, 0 FF's and 1 FR. Meanwhile, our backup TED, Michael Wilhoite, had to start the whole year and he produced 87 total tackles, 0 sacks, 5 TFL, 6 PD's, 2 INT's, 1 FF's and 0 FR.

Bowman, Borland and Willis ended the year on I.R. In short, we lost DEPTH for 2015 in terms of on-the-field production.

If Bowman comes back close to his 2013 form, he can produce around 145 total tackles, 5 sacks, 6 TFL, 8 PD's, 2 INT's, 4 FF's and 2 FR. We can expect a drop in production this year until he fully gets back into football shape but we can also expect Wilhoite to play better than last year too.

Together, we can still expect around 232 total tackles, 5 sacks, 11 TFL, 14 PD's, 4 INT's, 5 FF's and 2 FR. This is very similar to how we ended 2014 and that was WITH a rookie ILB that was on pace for 180+ tackles.

Long story short, we'll be fine!

Even if Bowman doesn't come back, an ILB, like Borland last year, can produce very highly in our system, even as a rookie. If Bowman comes back 100% healthy and doesn't miss a beat AND we upgrade over Wilhoite, we'll be BETTER than last year!
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
f**k all the doubters

Intelligent statement there. Just because we don't think that our team is going to be successful this year, doesn't mean that we are not "true fans". How could you possibly believe that we are going to be a good football team this year, with everything that has happened. We are going to suck. And that's ok.....It will take a couple of years in the dumps to get back to where we want to be.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Maybe this will help. We had to rely on THREE MIKE ILB's last year. THREE. One was a rookie, one barely made the team and the other was a 30 year old who, obviously, was very beat up and not in his prime anymore. Between the three, they still produced 162 total tackles, 1 sack, 12 TFL, 8 PD's, 3 INT's, 0 FF's and 1 FR. Meanwhile, our backup TED, Michael Wilhoite, had to start the whole year and he produced 87 total tackles, 0 sacks, 5 TFL, 6 PD's, 2 INT's, 1 FF's and 0 FR.

Bowman, Borland and Willis ended the year on I.R. In short, we lost DEPTH for 2015 in terms of on-the-field production.

If Bowman comes back close to his 2013 form, he can produce around 145 total tackles, 5 sacks, 6 TFL, 8 PD's, 2 INT's, 4 FF's and 2 FR. We can expect a drop in production this year until he fully gets back into football shape but we can also expect Wilhoite to play better than last year too.

Together, we can still expect around 232 total tackles, 5 sacks, 11 TFL, 14 PD's, 4 INT's, 5 FF's and 2 FR. This is very similar to how we ended 2014 and that was WITH a rookie ILB that was on pace for 180+ tackles.

Long story short, we'll be fine!

Even if Bowman doesn't come back, an ILB, like Borland last year, can produce very highly in our system, even as a rookie. If Bowman comes back 100% healthy and doesn't miss a beat AND we upgrade over Wilhoite, we'll be BETTER than last year!
I don't understand how all those numbers equate to winning games. Last year we barely beat the giants 16 to 10. I think we had 5 TO's in the game and yet they still had a chance to win in the end. The stats should have been in our favor.

All the tackles won't mean anything to me if its not followed by wins. One of my knocks with Borland last year was that he was a tackling machine because teams ran right at him. I picked him up in fantasy for this very reason. Lots of tackles but in a bad way.

I am hopeful though that we can be more aggressive on D. Last year when we had injuries, Fangio got more aggressive with blitzing. I'm hoping Mangini does something similar since we don't have the same superstars we are used to.

If the sacks and FF's and TO's go up then I will be pumped.
two things need to happen for us to become a contender again. #1 we need our offense to pick up the slack and actually start winning games for us. No more leaning on the defense to keep us in the game anymore. We need them to be a Top 15 offense at the least #2 We need to stay healthy on defense. Our depth is decimated on defense but luckily baakle built good depth where we are not completely in trouble to call this a rebuilding season. We withstand anymore injuries to the LBs or secondary personnel. If these two things click then we are good to make a superbowl run. Stay Faithful My Friends!!!
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
I don't understand how all those numbers equate to winning games. Last year we barely beat the giants 16 to 10. I think we had 5 TO's in the game and yet they still had a chance to win in the end. The stats should have been in our favor.

All the tackles won't mean anything to me if its not followed by wins. One of my knocks with Borland last year was that he was a tackling machine because teams ran right at him. I picked him up in fantasy for this very reason. Lots of tackles but in a bad way.

I am hopeful though that we can be more aggressive on D. Last year when we had injuries, Fangio got more aggressive with blitzing. I'm hoping Mangini does something similar since we don't have the same superstars we are used to.

If the sacks and FF's and TO's go up then I will be pumped.

True! The HaRoman+Fangio "philosophy" was to keep games close and win with defense, controlling the clock and timely offense (when needed). That formula can work and it can also work against you. We won 2-3 games last year on last second forced fumble-sacks, INT's, bombs, etc. and then we lost just as many in games we had in hand (Chargers, Rams, etc.).

The impression I get is that we'll be more aggressive on offense AND defense. Will it translate into more wins? Let's hope so! Will we have a killer instinct? Let's hope so!

As to the post itself, it was meant as a "the sky isn't falling" post despite losing both Willis and Borland recently.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
two things need to happen for us to become a contender again. #1 we need our offense to pick up the slack and actually start winning games for us. No more leaning on the defense to keep us in the game anymore. We need them to be a Top 15 offense at the least #2 We need to stay healthy on defense. Our depth is decimated on defense but luckily baakle built good depth where we are not completely in trouble to call this a rebuilding season. We withstand anymore injuries to the LBs or secondary personnel. If these two things click then we are good to make a superbowl run. Stay Faithful My Friends!!!

Agreed! It's funny as the 21 players on I.R. last year lead to a TON of playing time for players that normally wouldn't see the field. And now a couple of those guys will now be starting for us. If Baalke can continue to restock the depth we lost, maybe even bring in a couple guys who not only push current starters but earns starting spots over them, we'll be rolling.

I agree, improve from 25th in points to around 15th and remain top 10 defense (5 last year even WITH all those injuries) and we're a playoff team...even in this very tough division.

Tomsula and his "teachers" will have their work cut out for them...the good news is that they get to start in just a matter of weeks, well before anyone else.
Originally posted by javabsolute:
Originally posted by crake49:
Just give it up. You're not fooling anybody around here.

You bore me. Go away.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

Agreed! It's funny as the 21 players on I.R. last year lead to a TON of playing time for players that normally wouldn't see the field. And now a couple of those guys will now be starting for us. If Baalke can continue to restock the depth we lost, maybe even bring in a couple guys who not only push current starters but earns starting spots over them, we'll be rolling.

I agree, improve from 25th in points to around 15th and remain top 10 defense (5 last year even WITH all those injuries) and we're a playoff team...even in this very tough division.

Tomsula and his "teachers" will have their work cut out for them...the good news is that they get to start in just a matter of weeks, well before anyone else.

Yep, it will all come down the staff and now i am more pissed off that tomsula couldn't pull together more impressive coordinators. Oh well...we will have to make due with what we got. Baalke needs to hit a homerun on this draft. I talking 4 immediate impact players!
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
f**k all the doubters

Intelligent statement there. Just because we don't think that our team is going to be successful this year, doesn't mean that we are not "true fans". How could you possibly believe that we are going to be a good football team this year, with everything that has happened. We are going to suck. And that's ok.....It will take a couple of years in the dumps to get back to where we want to be.

It's just as easy to believe that the team will be good as it is to believe that they won't. While you focus on what's wrong, others focus on what's right. Many are dismissive of the quality of the coaching staff. It is just as likely that the staff will work well together as that they won't. The cumulative football knowledge of this coaching staff is huge. The question is can they impart that knowledge to the players in a way that the players can implement it on the field. I think this will fall right into the coaches wheelhouse.
The offense will be better, by far, than last year The defense will be very good. As muchas a surprise as it was for the retirements of Willis and Borland, Mangini is and was a very good DC. He will find a way to attack the other team with all the talent he has at his disposal. And he has alot of talent to use.

The glass is half empty or it's half full, all depends on how you look at it.

Wait until the season starts and theyplay afew games to declare it a 'lost' season.

Originally posted by eastie:
It's just as easy to believe that the team will be good as it is to believe that they won't. While you focus on what's wrong, others focus on what's right. Many are dismissive of the quality of the coaching staff. It is just as likely that the staff will work well together as that they won't. The cumulative football knowledge of this coaching staff is huge. The question is can they impart that knowledge to the players in a way that the players can implement it on the field. I think this will fall right into the coaches wheelhouse.
The offense will be better, by far, than last year The defense will be very good. As muchas a surprise as it was for the retirements of Willis and Borland, Mangini is and was a very good DC. He will find a way to attack the other team with all the talent he has at his disposal. And he has alot of talent to use.

The glass is half empty or it's half full, all depends on how you look at it.

Wait until the season starts and theyplay afew games to declare it a 'lost' season.

I think this draft became really, really critical to our success this year. We need home runs this year, no slow to develop guys. We could use day one starters at ILB, CB and WR and really need OG,DE, and OLB who can back up right away and compete to start if needed with the uncertainty at those positions. We are teetering right now...one more weight on either side of the balance could push our prospects this season hard towards one side or the other.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I think this draft became really, really critical to our success this year. We need home runs this year, no slow to develop guys. We could use day one starters at ILB, CB and WR and really need OG,DE, and OLB who can back up right away and compete to start if needed with the uncertainty at those positions. We are teetering right now...one more weight on either side of the balance could push our prospects this season hard towards one side or the other.

I really liked the positions you targeted PN. When you look at the current roster, do you see any rookies that could come in and start over the current slated starters?

Current Offensive Personnel:
QB: Colin Kaepernick; Blaine Gabbert
RB: Carlos Hyde; Reggie Bush, Kendall Hunter, Jarryd Hayne & Kendall Gaskins
H-Back: Derek Carrier
TE: Vernon Davis; Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek, Asante Cleveland & Xavier Grimble
FB: Bruce Miller; Trey Millard
X: Anquan Boldin; Quinton Patton & Chuck Jacobs
Y (SLOT): Bruce Ellington; Trindon Holiday & Lance Lewis
Z: Torrey Smith; Jerome Simpson
LOT: Joe Staley; Erik Pears
ROT: Anthony Davis; Chris Martin & Fou Fonoti
LG: Brandon Thomas/Marcus Martin; & Andrew Tiller
RG: Alex Boone; Joe Looney
C: Daniel Kilgore/Marcus Martin; Dillon Farrell

Current Defensive Personnel:
RDE: Tank Carradine; Kaleb Ramsey & Lawrence Okoye
LDE: Quinton Dial/Darnell Dockett; Tony Jerrod-Eddie
NT: Glenn Dorsey/Ian Williams; Mike Purcell & Garrison Smith
WILL: Aldon Smith; Corey Lemonier
SAM: Ahmad Brooks/Aaron Lynch; Chase Thomas
TED: Michael Wilhoite; Nick Moody
MIKE: Navarro Bowman; Shayne Skov
RCB: Dontae Johnson; Kenneth Acker, Leon McFadden & Cameron Fuller
LCB: Tramaine Brock; Chris Cook & Marcus Cromartie
SLOT/NICKLE: Jimmie Ward; Shareece Wright & Keith Reaser
FS: Eric Reid; Craig Dahl
SS: Antoine Bethea; L.J. McCray

Current Special Teams:
LS: Kyle Nelson
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
PR/KOR: Bruce Ellington/Reggie Bush/Jarryd Hayne; Trindon Holiday & Carlos Hyde
I wouldn't count on Reggie Bush being a return man lol
Originally posted by SoCold:
I wouldn't count on Reggie Bush being a return man lol

Yeah, he wasn't used in that capacity b/c he was the Lions "starting" RB...like Hyde won't be a returner this year for that same reason. However, since he'll be a 3rd down back, slot receiver, etc. I won't be surprised if we get him back into the returner role.
Share 49ersWebzone