LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 99 users in the forums

We wont miss a step, and here's why...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I think this draft became really, really critical to our success this year. We need home runs this year, no slow to develop guys. We could use day one starters at ILB, CB and WR and really need OG,DE, and OLB who can back up right away and compete to start if needed with the uncertainty at those positions. We are teetering right now...one more weight on either side of the balance could push our prospects this season hard towards one side or the other.

I really liked the positions you targeted PN. When you look at the current roster, do you see any rookies that could come in and start over the current slated starters?

Current Offensive Personnel:
QB: Colin Kaepernick; Blaine Gabbert
RB: Carlos Hyde; Reggie Bush, Kendall Hunter, Jarryd Hayne & Kendall Gaskins
H-Back: Derek Carrier
TE: Vernon Davis; Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek, Asante Cleveland & Xavier Grimble
FB: Bruce Miller; Trey Millard
X: Anquan Boldin; Quinton Patton & Chuck Jacobs
Y (SLOT): Bruce Ellington; Trindon Holiday & Lance Lewis
Z: Torrey Smith; Jerome Simpson
LOT: Joe Staley; Erik Pears
ROT: Anthony Davis; Chris Martin & Fou Fonoti
LG: Brandon Thomas/Marcus Martin; & Andrew Tiller
RG: Alex Boone; Joe Looney
C: Daniel Kilgore/Marcus Martin; Dillon Farrell

Current Defensive Personnel:
RDE: Tank Carradine; Kaleb Ramsey & Lawrence Okoye
LDE: Quinton Dial/Darnell Dockett; Tony Jerrod-Eddie
NT: Glenn Dorsey/Ian Williams; Mike Purcell & Garrison Smith
WILL: Aldon Smith; Corey Lemonier
SAM: Ahmad Brooks/Aaron Lynch; Chase Thomas
TED: Michael Wilhoite; Nick Moody
MIKE: Navarro Bowman; Shayne Skov
RCB: Dontae Johnson; Kenneth Acker, Leon McFadden & Cameron Fuller
LCB: Tramaine Brock; Chris Cook & Marcus Cromartie
SLOT/NICKLE: Jimmie Ward; Shareece Wright & Keith Reaser
FS: Eric Reid; Craig Dahl
SS: Antoine Bethea; L.J. McCray

Current Special Teams:
LS: Kyle Nelson
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Andy Lee
PR/KOR: Bruce Ellington/Reggie Bush/Jarryd Hayne; Trindon Holiday & Carlos Hyde

Like every year, the team should throw a couple curveballs in the draft, but I expect -- and some of these of course are givens/expected by most fans -- that the team will go after the following positions in the draft: DE, WR, TE, CB, S, OLB, and ILB.

*ILB Obviously to bolster the depth there created by the loss of Willis, Borland, and insurance for the recovery of Bowman.

*OLB Due to the potential loss of Ahmad Brooks after this season, with Aldon in a contract year, and Lemonier still unproven.

*S Due to Reid's concussion concerns, little depth, and Bethea's age and him stating he's not sure if he has anymore than a year left in him.

*WR Due to loss of Crabtree, Boldin likely leaving after this season, and Ellington and Patton looking promising but still unproven.

*TE Due to Vernon likely playing his last season with us, and McDonald being disappointing. If he stays bad, we'd have no known option for 2016.

*DE Due to the pending retirement of Justin, Dockett's age and recovery from injury, and promising but unproven depth.

*CB Due to Wright and Cook only being on one-year deals, insurance for Brock & Ward's health, and promising but unproven depth in Johnson/Reaser/Acker.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think this draft became really, really critical to our success this year. We need home runs this year, no slow to develop guys. We could use day one starters at ILB, CB and WR and really need OG,DE, and OLB who can back up right away and compete to start if needed with the uncertainty at those positions. We are teetering right now...one more weight on either side of the balance could push our prospects this season hard towards one side or the other.

I really liked the positions you targeted PN. When you look at the current roster, do you see any rookies that could come in and start over the current slated starters?

TE: Vernon Davis; Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek, Asante Cleveland & Xavier Grimble

Current Special Teams:

Like every year, the team should throw a couple curveballs in the draft, but I expect -- and some of these of course are givens/expected by most fans -- that the team will go after the following positions in the draft: DE, WR, TE, CB, S, OLB, and ILB.

*ILB Obviously to bolster the depth there created by the loss of Willis, Borland, and insurance for the recovery of Bowman.

*OLB Due to the potential loss of Ahmad Brooks after this season, with Aldon in a contract year, and Lemonier still unproven.

*S Due to Reid's concussion concerns, little depth, and Bethea's age and him stating he's not sure if he has anymore than a year left in him.

*WR Due to loss of Crabtree, Boldin likely leaving after this season, and Ellington and Patton looking promising but still unproven.

*TE Due to Vernon likely playing his last season with us, and McDonald being disappointing. If he stays bad, we'd have no known option for 2016.

*DE Due to the pending retirement of Justin, Dockett's age and recovery from injury, and promising but unproven depth.

*CB Due to Wright and Cook only being on one-year deals, insurance for Brock & Ward's health, and promising but unproven depth in Johnson/Reaser/Acker.

Absolutely awesome! I couldn't agree more...also Carrier signed a two-year contract recently. He should be a nice H-back (TE) as well esp. if we go the way of a more prototypical WCO-type of TE's.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

LMAO. I can watch this all day. Ha!

Current Special Teams:
See I can agree with this line of thinking. There's is not much room for starters so we still have a pretty solid team. But that is if this team stays healthy.

Our depth is blahhhhhh. Everyone wants to trade back in the draft and acquire tons of picks. I just don't get it. People want wr and Dline or they want immediate answers to the Willis/Borland hole. I want all these things as well but I feel like the Oline being hurt last year was the worst. If we take one injury this year with our current depth, then i think we are sunk. Kap got sacked 52 times last year.

I have been pushing La'el Collins in the draft. It doesn't have to be him but I would like Oline depth in the first 2 picks. Collins can back up either guard spot or the tackle. I think he could even beat out the guys at the current guard spot but more importantly he replaces Boone when he leaves next year. Again it doesn't have to be Collins but I think he makes sense.

Dallas was middle of the road for years and over the last 3 or so years they drafted Oline in the first rounds. They returned to the playoffs and looked good. Their defense still sucked but it was their Oline that was their strength.

Please Baalke.... fix the Oline in the draft and do not wait till the 4th round to draft guys like Joe Looney.

LMAO. I can watch this all day. Ha!

This is great.

Current Special Teams:

Absolutely awesome! I couldn't agree more...also Carrier signed a two-year contract recently. He should be a nice H-back (TE) as well esp. if we go the way of a more prototypical WCO-type of TE's.

I like Carrier a lot, even though he is not an elite threat, albeit he's had limited opportunities at the moment. He's got the height and terrific hands that could make him starter-worthy if he's developed his game enough over his time here. Gelek's RFA deal only signs him through this year, and he's no lock to even make the 53 for 2015, so Carrier I think has the advantage and I wouldn't be surprised if the team tries to unload McDonald if they don't think he'll get any better. This would give Carrier more reps and the chance to prove himself while we have a rookie possibly developing too.
I like Carrier a lot, even though he is not an elite threat, albeit he's had limited opportunities at the moment. He's got the height and terrific hands that could make him starter-worthy if he's developed his game enough over his time here. Gelek's RFA deal only signs him through this year, and he's no lock to even make the 53 for 2015, so Carrier I think has the advantage and I wouldn't be surprised if the team tries to unload McDonald if they don't think he'll get any better. This would give Carrier more reps and the chance to prove himself while we have a rookie possibly developing too.

Yeah, I just had flashes of Brent Jones getting lit up but still making the catches...Carrier has that role-feel for me...just much faster and I doubt he has Jones' hands (albeit they look very good). He is going to be a fun one to watch. McDonald is still a guy we have very little info on as well thanks to the previous regime. I can see him as a huge weapon for us esp. if we roll Bush out of the backfield, curl around the end of the line and draw a LB across the field. I think he could be devastating in the middle of the field for CK esp. when he gets rolling (he catches and turns upfield very quickly). He is another guy I'll be watching closely to evaluate the coaching staff (ironically). Agreed...Celek is just security and familiarity for us. We still have Asante Cleveland & Xavier Grimble too but I don't know much about their roles or upside. But like you noted, TE is a big playmaking position for us so I'm with you...esp. if we can nab a tall RZ target.

agree, I think we miss a few steps
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
See I can agree with this line of thinking. There's is not much room for starters so we still have a pretty solid team. But that is if this team stays healthy.

Our depth is blahhhhhh. Everyone wants to trade back in the draft and acquire tons of picks. I just don't get it. People want wr and Dline or they want immediate answers to the Willis/Borland hole. I want all these things as well but I feel like the Oline being hurt last year was the worst. If we take one injury this year with our current depth, then i think we are sunk. Kap got sacked 52 times last year.

I have been pushing La'el Collins in the draft. It doesn't have to be him but I would like Oline depth in the first 2 picks. Collins can back up either guard spot or the tackle. I think he could even beat out the guys at the current guard spot but more importantly he replaces Boone when he leaves next year. Again it doesn't have to be Collins but I think he makes sense.

Dallas was middle of the road for years and over the last 3 or so years they drafted Oline in the first rounds. They returned to the playoffs and looked good. Their defense still sucked but it was their Oline that was their strength.

Please Baalke.... fix the Oline in the draft and do not wait till the 4th round to draft guys like Joe Looney.

Great post!

Man, depth is and has been critical for us...last year was a perfect example on the defensive side...most of those 21 on I.R. were on the defense and we STILL finished top 5 and #1 in INT's. That's insane! That's credit to Baalke (depth) and Fangio and team (and the players being ready for next-man-up). Well done!

But you are totally right...Baalke HAS to continue to add important depth b/c we always seem to get the worst injuries at the worst times. One pattern I've noticed with Baalke is that he tries to target like-players esp. physically (i.e. Lynch for Brooks, Lemonier for Aldon, Gore-Hyde and Hunter-Bush, Cook-Johnson, etc.). So that's a great place to start when considering the draft and the players Baalke may target.

As to the OL, I am like you...HUGE in-the-trenches guy here too. During the entire HaRoman era, I think we made 2 personnel changes....Boone at the vacated RG position and CK for Alex Smith. That's it. I am REALLY excited about Foerster and Wolford for two reasons 1) they are new here and can objectively evaluate these OL and make some personnel changes as needed and 2) they are about to install a zone blocking scheme which fits Hyde-Bush-Hunter and even CK best.

I can't stress the importance of "scheme" enough! I also can't wait to see what passing plays Logan designs for CK and to see if Chryst is a better rhythm and situational play-caller than HaRoman (better chess player).
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 18, 2015 at 11:14 AM ]

Great post!

Man, depth is and has been critical for us...last year was a perfect example on the defensive side...most of those 21 on I.R. were on the defense and we STILLED finished top 5 and #1 in INT's. That's insane! That's credit to Baalke (depth) and Fangio and team (and the players being ready for next-man-up). Well done!

But you are totally right...Baalke HAS to continue to add important depth b/c we always seem to get the worst injuries at the worst times. One pattern I've noticed with Baalke is that he tries to target like-players esp. physically (i.e. Lynch for Brooks, Lemonier for Aldon, Gore-Hyde and Hunter-Bush, Cook-Johnson, etc.). So that's a great place to start when considering the draft and the players Baalke may target.

As to the OL, I am like you...HUGE in-the-trenches guy here too. During the entire HaRoman era, I think we made 2 personnel changes....Boone at the vacated RG position and CK for Alex Smith. That's it. I am REALLY excited about Foerster and Wolford for two reasons 1) they are new here and can objectively evaluate these OL and make some personnel changes as needed and 2) they are about to install a zone blocking scheme which fits Hyde-Bush-Hunter and even CK best.

I can't stress the importance of "scheme" enough! I also can't wait to see what passing plays Logan designs for CK and to see if Chryst is a better rhythm and situational play-caller than HaRoman (better chess player).
I agree with what you and OTC are saying as well. We don't know Baalke's thoughts and he has the insight as to who they would like to retain next year with Aldon or Brooks or Boone, Vernon, etc...

I'm just guessing they would like Aldon and Lynch. IMO opinion, a good 3-4 D brings the pass rush from the OLB's so that would be nice if they can keep that. If they can't, then it's a huge need.

WR is a need as well but with Baalke already making a splash with Torrey, I don't know if he will go high in the draft at wr.

ILB is big IMO for the future. But if the right guy isn't in this draft than Baalke won't reach, he will add a depth guy. But if the right guy is in this draft, that might be one of our first 3 picks.

We obviously need cb's. Baalke seems to like the young guys through the draft. I think we will always be saying we need cb depth.

DE could be big as well. I think Justin comes back but it's only one year. Dockett is towards the end. Tank will get his shot. It just depends on how things role or fall to us. I feel comfortable for this year at least with the current guys we got.

And again, the Oline. It's not a sexy pick. Their not fantasy football stars. They don't win awards but man I feel like they control the game. Keep Kap on his feet, open lanes for Hyde so we can get 4 or 5 yards on first down, keep us out of 3rd and long, give Kap time for playaction to Torrey or Boldin, control the clock and TOP. If the Oline is hurt and the backups suck, we can't do any of those things.

We will see.
I agree with what you and OTC are saying as well. We don't know Baalke's thoughts and he has the insight as to who they would like to retain next year with Aldon or Brooks or Boone, Vernon, etc...

I'm just guessing they would like Aldon and Lynch. IMO opinion, a good 3-4 D brings the pass rush from the OLB's so that would be nice if they can keep that. If they can't, then it's a huge need.

WR is a need as well but with Baalke already making a splash with Torrey, I don't know if he will go high in the draft at wr.

ILB is big IMO for the future. But if the right guy isn't in this draft than Baalke won't reach, he will add a depth guy. But if the right guy is in this draft, that might be one of our first 3 picks.

We obviously need cb's. Baalke seems to like the young guys through the draft. I think we will always be saying we need cb depth.

DE could be big as well. I think Justin comes back but it's only one year. Dockett is towards the end. Tank will get his shot. It just depends on how things role or fall to us. I feel comfortable for this year at least with the current guys we got.

And again, the Oline. It's not a sexy pick. Their not fantasy football stars. They don't win awards but man I feel like they control the game. Keep Kap on his feet, open lanes for Hyde so we can get 4 or 5 yards on first down, keep us out of 3rd and long, give Kap time for playaction to Torrey or Boldin, control the clock and TOP. If the Oline is hurt and the backups suck, we can't do any of those things.

We will see.

I think Baalke has that right approach in the draft: look to draft impact players when needed (Davis/Iupati/Reid/Ward) but also look to 2 and 3 years down the road as replacements (Carradine, Thomas, Acker, Reaser, Johnson, etc.). This is why our average age is now 26.
I think Baalke has that right approach in the draft: look to draft impact players when needed (Davis/Iupati/Reid/Ward) but also look to 2 and 3 years down the road as replacements (Carradine, Thomas, Acker, Reaser, Johnson, etc.). This is why our average age is now 26.

Just a few weeks ago, complainers were complaining that the team was old. Now, some of the same complainers are complaining that the team has lost too many veterans.
Originally posted by crake49:

Just a few weeks ago, complainers were complaining that the team was old. Now, some of the same complainers are complaining that the team has lost too many veterans.

We just can't win...except on the field...that will bring everyone back together.
We just can't win...except on the field...that will bring everyone back together.

That's the bottom line.
Share 49ersWebzone