LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 180 users in the forums

We wont miss a step, and here's why...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
The unparalleled optimism of some 9'er fans never ceases to amaze me. The absolute decimation of our roster these past 2 years and the wholesale coaching changes, laughingly referred to as a "reload, not a rebuild", don't seem to be enough to damper some fans' enthusiasm. Ok, I get it; I just can't share in it. We lost some great coaches and replaced them with unknown quantities. Our starting D will be almost unrecognizable from last year's and the year before. Gore, gone. Iuapati, gone. Justin Smith probably gone, which will significantly affect Aldon's performance, as it has in the past. The rest of the line coming off a so-so year. Miller's legal troubles. Kap, hopefully rebounding from his noticeable regression last year. TE a big question mark. Yet, we won't miss a step? Superbowl anyone? LOL. i'm just shooting for us not to embarrass ourselves. A 500 season would be an accomplishment, which, now that i think about is, is actually not missing a step after all.

Ummmmm, what?
Originally posted by NCommand:
The unparalleled optimism of some 9'er fans never ceases to amaze me. The absolute decimation of our roster these past 2 years and the wholesale coaching changes, laughingly referred to as a "reload, not a rebuild", don't seem to be enough to damper some fans' enthusiasm. Ok, I get it; I just can't share in it. We lost some great coaches and replaced them with unknown quantities. Our starting D will be almost unrecognizable from last year's and the year before. Gore, gone. Iuapati, gone. Justin Smith probably gone, which will significantly affect Aldon's performance, as it has in the past. The rest of the line coming off a so-so year. Miller's legal troubles. Kap, hopefully rebounding from his noticeable regression last year. TE a big question mark. Yet, we won't miss a step? Superbowl anyone? LOL. i'm just shooting for us not to embarrass ourselves. A 500 season would be an accomplishment, which, now that i think about is, is actually not missing a step after all.

Ummmmm, what?

The talent has gone down the last 2 years. Not that hard to understand really.
Originally posted by 9erReign:

I see the loss of a Hall of Fame ILB and players like that are hard for any team to replace. I also see the transition to a younger faster running back, the addition of elite speed both at the receiving position and at running back, the influx of high draft picks on the line who seem better suited to ZBS, the emergence of some young defensive line and secondary players and a very strong young edge pass rusher to provide a bookend for the all-pro pass rusher on the other side.

To call this "the absolute decimation of our roster" is a huge exaggeration IMO.

Ummmmm, what?

"talent has gone down" does not equal "absolute decimation of our roster". Sure, the team has lost some talent...but, it has also kept a lot of its key talent intact, gained some talent via FA (and maybe not done), and will add more good talent in the upcoming draft picking in the 15th slot and also with nine total picks.
Originally posted by crake49:
I see the loss of a Hall of Fame ILB and players like that are hard for any team to replace. I also see the transition to a younger faster running back, the addition of elite speed both at the receiving position and at running back, the influx of high draft picks on the line who seem better suited to ZBS, the emergence of some young defensive line and secondary players and a very strong young edge pass rusher to provide a bookend for the all-pro pass rusher on the other side.

To call this "the absolute decimation of our roster" is a huge exaggeration IMO.

+1. Definitely huge exaggeration.

Who have we lost? Goldson? Whitner? Brown? Rogers? Franklin? Goodwin? A physically broken Willis? Returning ACL-CB in Culliver? 28-year old Cox who was cut a couple times by us? J.Smith and his 60% snaps and bad back at 34 years old? 32 year old Gore and his lowest production last year?

Just a tad bit of an over-exaggeration here.

Hell in terms of real loss on-the-field, the biggest loss may have been Borland at 24 years old.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Hmmm, let me see. The new cornerbacks who took the place of our previous corners are now gone. Who knows if Brock will be back to full strength and Johnson is a huge question mark. our best safety is concussion central. Bowman's return to form is also a big question mark, and of course, Willis and Borland are history. We can't keep our nose tackles healthy. McDonald is gone. Carradine hasn't proven himself yet, and is no Justin Smith (in fact, Justin was finally starting to show his age last year), at least not from evidence thus far. Aldon was subpar last season when he returned. And finally, our D genius, Fangio is gone. And that's just the D! Still think it's an exagerration?

Hmmm, let me see. The new cornerbacks who took the place of our previous corners are now gone. Who knows if Brock will be back to full strength and Johnson is a huge question mark. our best safety is concussion central. Bowman's return to form is also a big question mark, and of course, Willis and Borland are history. We can't keep our nose tackles healthy. McDonald is gone. Carradine hasn't proven himself yet, and is no Justin Smith (in fact, Justin was finally starting to show his age last year), at least not from evidence thus far. Aldon was subpar last season when he returned. And finally, our D genius, Fangio is gone. And that's just the D! Still think it's an exagerration?

If you didn't watch any games last year, yes!

The new cornerbacks who took the place of our previous corners are now gone. - didn't we say the EXACT same thing when we lost Rogers AND Brown AND Whitner the year before? Yet guys like McFadden, Johnson playing inside and out, Cromartie, Culliver returning from his ACL and playing tentative in the run game after his concussion, Cox losing steam at the end, we still finished top 5 defensively and #1 in INT's.
Who knows if Brock will be back to full strength and Johnson is a huge question mark. - this is a fair concern re: Brock but damn, he's had a whole year off. Even if he isn't healthy, we'll be able to assess him before the draft. And Johnson played very well at 2 positions last year...all year practically. Plus, we resigned McFadden, Cook and added some additional veteran competition in Wright as well and we have two free rookies in Acker and Reaser. Do you doubt Baalke here?
Our best safety is concussion central. - this is a fair concern and I do anticipate Baalke is going to nab a real FS. McCray looks like a find behind Bethea according to Fangio and my small assessment as well
Bowman's return to form is also a big question mark, and of course, Willis and Borland are history. - we've already shown that this is the one position anyone can produce in...Moore, Grant, Wilhoite, a rookie, Moody, etc. And obviously, this is an area Baalke is reviewing in FA right now as well as in the draft.
We can't keep our nose tackles healthy. - we can now. For the first time, both will be healthy at the same time. And now Dial got a ton of experience there as well with no drop off in production.
McDonald is gone. - he was gone last year and we didn't miss a beat. Now Dial can move back to LDE (natural position), added some guy named Dockett?
Carradine hasn't proven himself yet, and is no Justin Smith (in fact, Justin was finally starting to show his age last year), at least not from evidence thus far. - when Tank got the playing time late, he produced 3 sacks in 3 games, TFL and averaged the same # of tackles per game as Justin (5 sacks all year). He just needs the reps.
Aldon was subpar last season when he returned. - he was. Perhaps that was b/c his best buddy got canned from the team. And now he's on a prove-it contract and he'll have Brooks to rest him. Contract year? My guess is he decides to ball-out. No?
And finally, our D genius, Fangio is gone. - love Fangio. Fair concern, no doubt. The position coaches seem to be a wash (maybe even an upgrade) but can Mangini do what he said he was going to do? Take the best of the three schools together (3 defensive coaches with coordinator experience), add in what he already knows we do really well and build an ideal playbook and create stellar game plans, make in-game adjustments, etc.? That remains to be seen.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 24, 2015 at 1:15 PM ]

The new cornerbacks who took the place of our previous corners are now gone. - didn't we say the EXACT same thing when we lost Rogers AND Brown AND Whitner the year before? Yet guys like McFadden, Johnson playing inside and out, Cromartie, Culliver returning from his ACL and playing tentative in the run game after his concussion, Cox losing steam at the end, we still finished top 5 defensively and #1 in INT's.
Who knows if Brock will be back to full strength and Johnson is a huge question mark. - this is a fair concern re: Brock but damn, he's had a whole year off. Even if he isn't healthy, we'll be able to assess him before the draft. And Johnson played very well at 2 positions last year...all year practically. Plus, we resigned McFadden, Cook and added some additional veteran competition in Wright as well and we have two free rookies in Acker and Reaser. Do you doubt Baalke here?
Our best safety is concussion central. - this is a fair concern and I do anticipate Baalke is going to nab a real FS. McCray looks like a find behind Bethea according to Fangio and my small assessment as well
Bowman's return to form is also a big question mark, and of course, Willis and Borland are history. - we've already shown that this is the one position anyone can produce in...Moore, Grant, Wilhoite, a rookie, Moody, etc. And obviously, this is an area Baalke is reviewing in FA right now as well as in the draft.
We can't keep our nose tackles healthy. - we can now. For the first time, both will be healthy at the same time. And now Dial got a ton of experience there as well with no drop off in production.
McDonald is gone. - he was gone last year and we didn't miss a beat. Now Dial can move back to LDE (natural position), added some guy named Dockett?
Carradine hasn't proven himself yet, and is no Justin Smith (in fact, Justin was finally starting to show his age last year), at least not from evidence thus far. - when Tank got the playing time late, he produced 3 sacks in 3 games, TFL and averaged the same # of tackles per game as Justin (5 sacks all year). He just needs the reps.
Aldon was subpar last season when he returned. - he was. Perhaps that was b/c his best buddy got canned from the team. And now he's on a prove-it contract and he'll have Brooks to rest him. Contract year? My guess is he decides to ball-out. No?
And finally, our D genius, Fangio is gone. - love Fangio. Fair concern, no doubt. The position coaches seem to be a wash (maybe even an upgrade) but can Mangini do what he said he was going to do? Take the best of the three schools together (3 defensive coaches with coordinator experience), add in what he already knows we do really well and build an ideal playbook and create stellar game plans, make in-game adjustments, etc.? That remains to be seen.

I watched every game, even attended a few. One thing I think we all agree on is, the phrase, "it remains to be seen". Fangio was a magician with what he accomplished with our D. It "remains to be seen" what Mangini does with this one. Our O was pathetic and probably couldn't be much worse, so that aspect, who knows, could actually be better. If memory serves, the major positive on the O-line was Davis, and the only receiver we could truly count on was Boldin. Kap regressed and Hunter is coming off significant knee issues. And we all know about Vernon's disappearing act. So yeah, it remains to be seen. I'm hoping for the best, but I just can't agree with the assertion that we won't miss a step, or that the majority of the replacements are an improvement. That remains to be seen.
The title of this thread is we won't miss a step. I think this is very accurate. If we hit 8 wins, we didn't miss a step.

I watched every game, even attended a few. One thing I think we all agree on is, the phrase, "it remains to be seen". Fangio was a magician with what he accomplished with our D. It "remains to be seen" what Mangini does with this one. Our O was pathetic and probably couldn't be much worse, so that aspect, who knows, could actually be better. If memory serves, the major positive on the O-line was Davis, and the only receiver we could truly count on was Boldin. Kap regressed and Hunter is coming off significant knee issues. And we all know about Vernon's disappearing act. So yeah, it remains to be seen. I'm hoping for the best, but I just can't agree with the assertion that we won't miss a step, or that the majority of the replacements are an improvement. That remains to be seen.

I'm with you! There are a lot in questions right now so it's understandable to be skeptical...even pessimistic. Therefore I focus on what we do know...production on the field from last year with our projected starters and project out. I don't see a single area where we should see any real lost production from 2014 and several areas where we might see marked improvement. If the coaching staff can come together, we could see some special things here. But like you say, "that remains to be seen!" But I won't take a negative route until I "see" proof to lean that way.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 24, 2015 at 6:24 PM ]

Not to mention an entirely new coaching Staff all the way down to position coaches. To not expect drop off after experiencing that kind of turn over is to be quite frankly delusional imo. Yes hopi g for the best but my expectations for this team next season couldn't be any lower.

The 49ers have endured major turnover at certain positions the past 4 years I understand that but some of the credit for that has to go to the previous staff as well. With an unproven staff installing new systems I'm just hoping we start to see cohesion toward the end of the season and signs of improvement from the young players. Reload situation my a$$.

Good assessment. I can hardly wait for the draft and then to see how the new staff interacts with the players. I could not grasp how inept our offense was last year, especially in the second half. So getting Roman out of the way may have been our best off season move, all by itself. It was amazing how much productivity Fangio got out of the defense with the amount of injuries we had. So it will be intriguing to see if Mangini can pull all of the coaching talent together and get it done on the defense. So there is massive room for advancement for the team and for the new players.

I think this is the year we will see whether or not L. Okoye can play in the NFL and if the new guy from Australia can play in the NFL as well. This year we will see whether we can get some coherent productivity out of all of the OGs we have on the team. So our offensive line coaches will be massively important as to whether we will get a new system in place and have the discipline to be productive or not. I think Kaep took things seriously enough to seek some outside help for this year and we will see of our OC can utilize his strengths positively and widen his use of his RBs in the passing game as well as in the running game.

Our Defensive backfield will be an interesting area to watch and see if our DBs can develop and keep up with our recent history. I think that the draft will be most important in giving us some quality players and our coaches will have to develop them rapidly.

The area of most concern is STs. Will Holiday be a good punt returner and if we could get 2-3 touchdowns out of them and consistent good field position would be most helpful. Dawson and Lee are getting older and this may be another area that will get a hard look.

In the end all of our speculations will come down to the field. Can we put a competitive team on the field or not. That remains to be seen.
The biggest new "thing" for me is how our coaching staff performs. Baalke is under the gun with all the guys leaving, retiring, and he had planned well. Somehow, I don't think he planned on the mass exodus at ILB, however. Yes, Fangio is gone. But did anyone notice how all 31 other teams didn't make a mad dash for him. I have lost track of where he is now, but I do know that if he had been the second coming, he would have been scooped right up...and he wasn't. Maybe , just like BEFORE he got here, he didn't have the kind of spectacular D talent we had. Maybe, just maybe our D was that good based on talent. Sure it takes a coach, but....

On O, I know this isn't fashionable, and my favorite poster, AB , surely doesn't see it my way. But the sooner harbaw et al left town the sooner we could get around to getting better....getting a real pro NFL Offense on the field. Jeez, baalke busted his backside to put WRs out there, but that doesn't do much good for an OC/HC who couldn't find their azz with their elbow. Not scoring from 5 yds out w/ 4 tries with a Frank Gore on the team, well....it shows that there is an OC/HC who are offensively challenged. Or, as the wags say, they were offensive. So from my standpoint we got nowhere to go but up from here on O, and I look forward to some real coaching for Kap (the QB whisperer was the biggest joke of harbaw's 4 yrs here), I look forward to a game plan that 31 other teams in the NFL haven't already figured out, I look forward to aggressive O, and fewer FGs, and I think JT is the guy to do that. Going for 3 from the 37 got a tad boring after awhile and it proved that our OC/HC had no faith in our O. Also it showed an amazing lack of O innovation and variety. Good God, SEA knew what every O play was once we lined up. That was sickening. Rams did too, and same for Cards. Changes at mid way point in game? Fuggedaboudit. "We do what we do". That was a stupid quote for the ages.

So yeah, I am fired up for the season, have faith that like before baalke will come thru with what we need, and that the D will be better yet with 3 former DCs all setting it up. Players? Sure I am interested in them, but this yr, I can't wait to see what JT does and how he calls games....along with his OC. I will bet this. I bet he is one helluva lot more aggressive than harbaw who was about as vanilla and conservative as they come. I think JT has it and will show us. We'll see.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Mar 24, 2015 at 3:31 PM ]
Originally posted by ltrain:
We won't miss a step for sure.

Pretty accurate depiction of the "steps" the Niners have taken this offseason.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Mar 24, 2015 at 4:12 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone