LISTEN: Brock Purdy's Critics Don't Live In Reality →

There are 133 users in the forums

We wont miss a step, and here's why...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If players take serious their job, condition and practice all year, then we will be great
If you want a superbowl, its a passion and drive on each individual to do so. Justin Smith, Frank Gore are perfect players who proved that. M. Nolan and Singletary knew how pick players but struggled at winning games.
we'll be just fine. i have a feeling our offense will catch a lot of people by surprise. we havent downgraded any position and gained, speed and versatility with smith and bush, hyde and a healthy hunter will be a great combo with bush being the new delanie that we line up everywhere. patton and ellington looked good at the end of the year and will play more hopefully with crabs gone. and we got rid of roman, addition by subtraction. defense has a lot of talent still and guys like tank and dial will be regulars now that some of the older guys have moved on. were still stacked in our front 7. need to draft a DB or two and were solid. tomsula may not be the best public speaker but he gets the best out of all of his guys and seems like a guy people love to play for.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Hmmm, let me see. The new cornerbacks who took the place of our previous corners are now gone. Who knows if Brock will be back to full strength and Johnson is a huge question mark. our best safety is concussion central. Bowman's return to form is also a big question mark, and of course, Willis and Borland are history. We can't keep our nose tackles healthy. McDonald is gone. Carradine hasn't proven himself yet, and is no Justin Smith (in fact, Justin was finally starting to show his age last year), at least not from evidence thus far. Aldon was subpar last season when he returned. And finally, our D genius, Fangio is gone. And that's just the D! Still think it's an exagerration?

Not to mention an entirely new coaching Staff all the way down to position coaches. To not expect drop off after experiencing that kind of turn over is to be quite frankly delusional imo. Yes hopi g for the best but my expectations for this team next season couldn't be any lower.

The 49ers have endured major turnover at certain positions the past 4 years I understand that but some of the credit for that has to go to the previous staff as well. With an unproven staff installing new systems I'm just hoping we start to see cohesion toward the end of the season and signs of improvement from the young players. Reload situation my a$$.

But why does the elevation of Geep and Mangini and adding a vastly improved (IMHO), or at least equal, set of position coaches automatically translate to lowering your expectations? Do you remember when Harbaugh and staff first arrived? What happened? Arrow up instantly until...it was arrow down (couldn't adjust).

Mangini and Geep and Tomsula KNOW our personnel WAY better than Harbaugh and staff knew ours when he first arrived...the approach the current staff is taking to build their playbooks is a sound one and could, dare I say, equate to BETTER results not only this year, but each year thereafter.

You're obviously more of a glass half full guy, and I must admit, you know football better than me. However, all the changes leave question marks that, no matter the wealth of knowledge, won't be answered until we actually play some games (not to mention, the draft). All this re-building (not re-loading, as Baalke claims) leaves me very nervous. You have to understand, I go back over 50 years with this team and have lived through some pretty abysmal regimes. I just can't believe that a team that's gone through as much as ours can rebound over the course of one off-season, without some serious growing pains. It's pretty much a general consensus that ours may have been the worst off-season of any NFL team in recent memory, if not all time. That's a big hump to clamber over! Having said all that, you make some very good points and are succeeding in making me a little less paranoid. LOL!

Totally understand your position...change can be unsettling esp. with a familiar regime over the past 4 years. But we changed from Nolan to Singletary to Harbaugh and each time, there were major changes not only to the coaching staff, but to the personnel (i.e. Baalke made 137 moves that first year). This time, we retained 6 coaches, added another great FO guy in Tom Gamble and the elevations of the coaching staff was in part, b/c of their familiarity with our personnel AND systems. That can't be overstated. As to personnel, we lost about the same number of players (6) that we lose every year...that every team loses (Seattle/Pats). In fact, when you really look at the roster closely, the depth, the experience of the depth and actual production on the field last year, you can start to see that we'll actually be stronger in many position groups and that's great news for a team that played through complete incompetence IMHO last year...and STILL finished 8-8. To me, this is still just a retool.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 30, 2015 at 8:14 AM ]
Originally posted by Constantine:
If you want a superbowl, its a passion and drive on each individual to do so. Justin Smith, Frank Gore are perfect players who proved that. M. Nolan and Singletary knew how pick players but struggled at winning games.

Gore subbed himself out every other play..the past two years
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I know I did notice that TOO!!! And all these people saying "we shoulda given it to Gore in the Super Bowl" Well people did you realize that Gore subbed himself out after his monster run to get inside the 8 yard line. He asked out of the game, I know I was THERE!!! I was actually BAFFLED when Gore excused himself out of the game. I think Hyde/Bush/Hunter are gonna bring a quicker element to the offense and the run game will be DRASTICALLY improved.

2 days ago I was watching the re-airing of the 49ers/Saints playoff game and Moose Johnston said that the Saints players told him during the week that the Saints FEARED Kendall Hunter and his quickness and speed more then they did Frank Gore. I actually thought and felt the same thing. Gore got toooo slow the last 2 years here.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I know I did notice that TOO!!! And all these people saying "we shoulda given it to Gore in the Super Bowl" Well people did you realize that Gore subbed himself out after his monster run to get inside the 8 yard line. He asked out of the game, I know I was THERE!!! I was actually BAFFLED when Gore excused himself out of the game. I think Hyde/Bush/Hunter are gonna bring a quicker element to the offense and the run game will be DRASTICALLY improved.

2 days ago I was watching the re-airing of the 49ers/Saints playoff game and Moose Johnston said that the Saints players told him during the week that the Saints FEARED Kendall Hunter and his quickness and speed more then they did Frank Gore. I actually thought and felt the same thing. Gore got toooo slow the last 2 years here.

All Harbaugh had to do was call a TO after that long run, let Gore catch his breath and have 1st and goal on the 8 with Gore in there. There was no reason to hurry at that point. To me, this was Harbaugh's first big-time game time blunder.
one of the all time great threads.
Originally posted by susweel:
one of the all time great threads.

Borland better than Willis.....
We won't miss a step because we suck so bad already that how can we really get any worse.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Well done Corv.

For last year:
Can we replace 1,100 yards rushing (Gore)?
Can we replace 700 yards receiving (Crabtree)?
Can we replace a 1-trick pony LG (power pull-guard)?
Can we replace 43 tackles and 5 sacks (Justin)?
Can we replace 34 tackles (Willis)?

No question! Can we replace the leadership? That remains to be seen.

Also, while focused on the "losses" don't forget about the experience the rookies got last year AND the 18 players coming back from I.R. plus the moves we already made pre-FA.

Oh man....this thread is full of gold! Tomsula a huge upgrade over Harbaugh haha.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Looked back at some of the comments and I'm just LMAO!!!
Solid bump. I'm considering re-reading this thread over watching tonight's fingerblasting.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
We didn't miss a step, we missed a chromosome
Share 49ersWebzone