There are 188 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by BayToBrazil:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by GoldBrick:
PFF is WACK.

That said, the young guys have been dang impressive. I've been high on Brunskill since the preseason. He generates a ton of movement in the run game and has shown that he can be effective at guard as well.

What are you basing that on?

It's based on a system that analyzes every football website and NFL article to deliver grades, stats, and rankings for the internet. He goes beyond traditional stats with metrics and dozens of other performance stats.

Just messing around GoldBrick. Actually I think a lot of people feel your frustration. But PFF seems to be the best (although still imperfect) option we have.

PFF has two levels. Edge gives basic player grades in two or three categories, depending on the position. It is a very good tool for general ratings and rankings. If you want to spend the money for their Elite/Premium product, you get some very advanced, very cool stuff. Virtually every serious football writer uses their stuff.

The PFF positives outweigh the PFF negatives for me. I haven't subscribed to the elite product but it's great everytime I have had any access.
McGlinchey had some low grades this year IIRC. Does anyone know what he rated at per game vs Brunskill?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

I'm gonna say what we're all thinking.

Brunskill & Skule >>> Staley & McG

Originally posted by NinerGM:
After this game there's no way McDaniel doesn't become a OC next year or even possible HC candidate.

Kyle already said no to him getting interviews for OC gigs this past off season.

No way he goes from running game coordinator to HC either.
Originally posted by Nastastical:

This kid will probably end up replacing Person one day.

What's really pretty cool is the there were a number of 'zoners who sniffed out these two guys back in the preseason. Tim Ryan set me onto Brunskill during the second PS game when he noted that Brunskill was improving every day in practic and would make the roster for sure. I was surprised but when I snooped around and found out he was a Staley clone, former TE who grew up, I was hooked. Then we found out Skule was also a former TE.

Kyle knows what he likes and where to find them.

DJ, did you hear the MM podcast interview with both Skule and Brunskill? Good stuff!
What's crazy is with how well Skule and Brunskill have played, what does that say about Shon? Kyle obviously sees something in him too.
We put 51 on a good Panthers team with backup tackles and no fullback. Think about that for a second.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
We put 51 on a good Panthers team with backup tackles and no fullback. Think about that for a second.

OK I thought about it. That's pretty darn good still. LOL
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
What's crazy is with how well Skule and Brunskill have played, what does that say about Shon? Kyle obviously sees something in him too.

Yup, now it is readily apparent why we didn't take an OT or two early on. JL and kyle liked both Skule and Brunskill. The fact both were former TEs in college raises the question is being a former TE in college (like Joe S), one of the prerequisites that JL/kyle use to draft OTs? And the answer is yes. Yes it is.

Brunskill had a good game and looks to be developing nicely....but there is a statistical drop off in protection and production with the loss of the starting tackles.

Jimmy G still has the second lowest Time to Throw in the NFL. The 49ers are still absolutely game planning around the lack of pass protection.

So no.... i don't think that at all.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

Brunskill had a good game and looks to be developing nicely....but there is a statistical drop off in protection and production with the loss of the starting tackles.

Jimmy G still has the second lowest Time to Throw in the NFL. The 49ers are still absolutely game planning around the lack of pass protection.

The two weak links in PP have been Person and Skule.

Over the past three weeks, the best PP have been, in order, Brunskill, Tomlinson, and Richburg.

Brunskill is the joker. He can play anywhere across the line, including center. Just plug him in wherever you need him depending on the draft.

Not sure about center. I actually think Garland would be the next man up at center if an injury happened.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

The two weak links in PP have been Person and Skule.

Over the past three weeks, the best PP have been, in order, Brunskill, Tomlinson, and Richburg.

LT is hard in the NFL..... There have been plenty of good NFL linemen that struggled at LT.

Life should get much better when Staley returns.

Could get a heck of a lot better when Brunskill moves inside.

Injuries suck, but this could be a blessing in disguise. Some young guys got a crash course and the 49ers should finish their starting tenure with a winning record. Come the playoffs this line might look exceptionally better then we expected it to look.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
With Skule and Brunskill we may be looking at 2 future Guards.

These guys could step in and play both positions.

We have DL, RB, and now some OL depth!

That's SUPER-IMPRESSIVE in just 3 years!!
Why? There developing quite well at Tackle.

I don't see McG moving to Guard so he stays at tackle.

Staley is probably done in 2 seasons.

So Guard could be the only open positions available for the best man up.

Like I said - they could step in and play BOTH positions
Originally posted by NCommand:

Even winning has changed Cohn.
Share 49ersWebzone