LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 197 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Richburg was hurt most of '18 - it's a given that he'd play better this year. I always considered him a good signing, even when he was struggling.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Even winning has changed Cohn.

180 degrees. He's been on Kyle and Saleh's train all off season to now.

Richburg climbing up to the top.

It still makes 0 sense why the Chiefs didn't keep Hudson. And then to let him go to a division rival on top of that.
[ Edited by TheXFactor on Oct 31, 2019 at 8:22 AM ]
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

It still makes 0 sense why the Chiefs didn't keep Hudson. And then to let him go to a division rival on top of that.

Cap issues. John Dorsey didn't have Parage to bail him out of his spending pit.

He has been good but the boy wonder reporter is stretching it just a little bit to say he is "one of the best." Still, I won't quibble on that.

Richburg is the #8 center in terms of pass protection. His run blocking grades are quite a bit lower than his PP, however, that is generally true of all centers.

I did a quick check comparing run blocking to pass protection. There are only four centers in the top 20 whose run blocking is equal to or better than their pass protection and in one case, it is only due to the fact his PP is very low.

That having been said, Richburg has had to face Aaron Donald, Gerald McCoy, Cam Heyward, and Stephon Tuitt, and all of those guys are in the top 15 DI defenders. Those guys are going to make it tough on any center trying to snap the ball and then get on to a run block.
  • thl408
Originally posted by dj43:
He has been good but the boy wonder reporter is stretching it just a little bit to say he is "one of the best." Still, I won't quibble on that.

Richburg is the #8 center in terms of pass protection. His run blocking grades are quite a bit lower than his PP, however, that is generally true of all centers.

I did a quick check comparing run blocking to pass protection. There are only four centers in the top 20 whose run blocking is equal to or better than their pass protection and in one case, it is only due to the fact his PP is very low.

That having been said, Richburg has had to face Aaron Donald, Gerald McCoy, Cam Heyward, and Stephon Tuitt, and all of those guys are in the top 15 DI defenders. Those guys are going to make it tough on any center trying to snap the ball and then get on to a run block.

And that's why PFF has trouble ranking players with their player ratings. They haven't found a way to factor in quality of competition. A right tackle that got a 70 score while blocking Khalil Mack had a better game than the right tackle that got a 90 blocking Cassius Marsh imo.
Originally posted by thl408:

And that's why PFF has trouble ranking players with their player ratings. They haven't found a way to factor in quality of competition. A right tackle that got a 70 score while blocking Khalil Mack had a better game than the right tackle that got a 90 blocking Cassius Marsh imo.

That is true of the Edge package. I have never bought their Elite package, the one paid media types all buy, but I have heard they do weight the competition there.

What Edge does is give a general comparison. You have to wait until the mid-point of the season or so until things begin to even out.
  • thl408
That is true of the Edge package. I have never bought their Elite package, the one paid media types all buy, but I have heard they do weight the competition there.

What Edge does is give a general comparison. You have to wait until the mid-point of the season or so until things begin to even out.

Oh they do do that. That is good. Makes sense to wait till midseason to have more data to start weighing competition.

Oh they do do that. That is good. Makes sense to wait till midseason to have more data to start weighing competition.

That is why I started the thread on rating the players. I wanted to see the flow and check on consistency over the season versus spot checks now and then.

As you said, once you get more data, you can do a better job of analysis. Over the past two games, that consistency has begun to become apparent. The WRs, except for Sanders, continue to be our weakest group. LBs and guards have been up and down. Otherwise, the numbers support the kind of quality and consistency you see in a very good team.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
The 49ers have allowed 11 sacks through 7 games, but they are 31st in pass attempts. I don't think that's good if you look at it per pass play.

wrong thread. Go 9ers.
[ Edited by MrGriz on Oct 31, 2019 at 4:57 PM ]
Originally posted by FL9er:
The 49ers have allowed 11 sacks through 7 games, but they are 31st in pass attempts. I don't think that's good if you look at it per pass play.

Sack % per attempt would still rank 10th at 5.5% per passing attempt.
Considering our 4th and 5th OT have started many games this season. That is not bad at all.

What about Jimmy G rank 18th in DYAR from footballoutsiders. DYAR gives the value of the quarterback 's performance compared to replacement level, adjusted for situation and opponent and then translated into yardage. What do you think about the DYAR ranking? It seems Niners fans in this forum want to ignore total passing yards, which is understandable. They want to look at efficiency and QBR as that makes Jimmy G looks good, but I don't think they want to look at DYAR because the ranking isn't good.
the oline has 7 potential starters

but way more impressed with brunskill than with skule.

justin allows some sacks and bullrushes every now and then. dan has been unstoppable, even when going out to block.
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
the oline has 7 potential starters

but way more impressed with brunskill than with skule.

justin allows some sacks and bullrushes every now and then. dan has been unstoppable, even when going out to block.

well let's see Skule was going up against beast Chandler Jones and Brunskill had Marsh and 37 year old Suggs.
Share 49ersWebzone