There are 201 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Sounds like Brunskill will just stay at RT until MM is ready to and why not?

More and more over the past two games, he has been left on his own in PP and done a great job. No hurries, no hits, nothing. Right now I see no reason to rush McGlinchey back into the spot. Make sure he is fully healed before he goes back in.

Truth is, though the scheme has been involved, Brunskill has played better than Mc did in the games in which each has played.

Agree 100%. When Coleman comes back next season, with him and Skule backing up the Tackles, I'd seriously consider Brunskill at RG taking over for Person. MM and Brunskill would be formidable imo

I agree - Brunskill next to McGlinchey would be formidable.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Nov 2, 2019 at 11:52 PM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
This offensive line coach is another Mckittrick, working magic with these guys.

Benton deserves a raise and an extension.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Each Brunskill and Skule are among the best tackles in the NFL. They've each been tested against consensus top-tier pass rushers. And obviously, they have done well in the run game. The tape and grades (considering their experience level) is absolutely absurd.

I hope this means we don't have to suffer through an entire offseason of people trying to justify using a 1st round pick on OL -- considering it is painfully obvious we already have starting quality depth on the roster. Tough to see a late 1st rounder playing better than either Skule or Brunskill.

They are that legit.
[ Edited by okdkid on Nov 4, 2019 at 12:36 PM ]
Originally posted by okdkid:
Each Brunskill and Skule are among the best tackles in the NFL. They've each been tested against consensus top-tier pass rushers. And obviously, they have done well in the run game. The tape and grades (considering their experience level) is absolutely absurd.

I hope this means we don't have to suffer through an entire offseason of people trying to justify using a 1st round pick on OL -- considering it is painfully obvious we already have starting quality depth on the roster. Tough to see a late 1st rounder playing better than either Skule or Brunskill.

They are that legit.

We don't have quality depth at the interior. All you stated and I agree with is the tackle depth.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

They are that legit.

We don't have quality depth at the interior. All you stated and I agree with is the tackle depth.

I could be wrong but I believe Brunskill has played guard as well. I wouldn't mind using one of those 5th rd picks at OG depth.

They are that legit.

That too. You simply need to ask yourself, if MM and JS quit today, do you feel comfortable with the talent of Skuke, Coleman and Brunskill playing at such a high level to allow Kyle to keep his playbook wide open and rolling through the playoffs.

If so, cool. If not, we'll be drafting at the back end of the draft going forward...perfect target area where you get quality OL.

Otherwise you can fall off like the Rams, Bears and Browns no matter how many "skill positions" you have.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 4, 2019 at 1:20 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

They are that legit.

True. But neither Tomlinson nor Person require an upgrade. We are already one of the best OL in the league. And Westburg is on a massive deal. Why mess with it? It seems clear that there are far more pressing needs for our 1st round pick than OL. Compared to the rest of the NFL... we have an embarrassment of riches.
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Skule and Brunskill earned their spots for at least the next season or more. With Coleman coming back from injury, the promising plays of Skule and Brunskill, and the whole starting lineup coming back. OL will not be our weakest position, that should leave us with only one or two spots opened for competition. A Great problem to have.

I remember the beginning of the season when some posters said that O-line was the weakest position

LOL. You mean like everyone in the entire country?

Ya gotta feel great about the depth though. We're probably going to actually have to cut real talent next year at T. Great problem to have.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

Ya gotta feel great about the depth though. We're probably going to actually have to cut real talent next year at T. Great problem to have.

Nah. The situation around the NFL is so dire...they can for sure flip a guy for a pick.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

They are that legit.

I could be wrong but I believe Brunskill has played guard as well. I wouldn't mind using one of those 5th rd picks at OG depth.

He has, also some at center.

Perhaps move to RG next year. Person can be released for a $2,500,000 cap saving.

Quality options. All depends on who is available. I could still see an OT pick late in the first round if a quality guy is available.

When both Skule and Brunskill have to go against Bosa and Ford in practice, what doesn't kill you make you the next man up.
Originally posted by Bellaleo:
Cant underestimate how much going against our Dline all off training camp and OTAs has helped Brunskill and Skule this season.

Both Skule and Brunskill said the exact same thing on MM's podcast. They said it was the variety of the rushers that prepared them for everything. Great point.

Originally posted by Hopper:
Benton deserves a raise and an extension.

I was really questioning him coming into this year but looking back, Kyle was passing 60% of the time...lots of stress for pass protection and it failed. Now that we're running 60%, it's not as much an issue (understatement).

Coupled with Kyle's scheme for the first read, extra protection and this, they've MORE than weathered the storm.

Now with Staley, McGlinchey and Juice back, Kyle can open the whole playbook and the magic begins!!!

Nah. The situation around the NFL is so dire...they can for sure flip a guy for a pick.

Very possible!
Originally posted by dj43:
He has, also some at center.

Perhaps move to RG next year. Person can be released for a $2,500,000 cap saving.

Quality options. All depends on who is available. I could still see an OT pick late in the first round if a quality guy is available.

hey if OT is by far BPA I'm fine with it...IMO we need to upgrade the safety position. someone like xavier McKinney in a trade down might work

Probably won't have to cut. Trades are always available for quality OL.
Share 49ersWebzone