There are 195 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
hey if OT is by far BPA I'm fine with it...IMO we need to upgrade the safety position. someone like xavier McKinney in a trade down might work

I like this!
Originally posted by 60sFan:
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. You mean like everyone in the entire country?

Ya gotta feel great about the depth though. We're probably going to actually have to cut real talent next year at T. Great problem to have.

Probably won't have to cut. Trades are always available for quality OL.

It certainly has become a trading league.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by dj43:
He has, also some at center.

Perhaps move to RG next year. Person can be released for a $2,500,000 cap saving.

Quality options. All depends on who is available. I could still see an OT pick late in the first round if a quality guy is available.

hey if OT is by far BPA I'm fine with it...IMO we need to upgrade the safety position. someone like xavier McKinney in a trade down might work

I'm not all that familiar with who is coming out this year, however, I could see Lynch looking for an upgrade from Tartt.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Each Brunskill and Skule are among the best tackles in the NFL. They've each been tested against consensus top-tier pass rushers. And obviously, they have done well in the run game. The tape and grades (considering their experience level) is absolutely absurd.

I hope this means we don't have to suffer through an entire offseason of people trying to justify using a 1st round pick on OL -- considering it is painfully obvious we already have starting quality depth on the roster. Tough to see a late 1st rounder playing better than either Skule or Brunskill.

They are that legit.

I will sort of agree with you but as GM alluded to, kyle has helped scheme around both Skule and Brunskill , but also for the first handful of games had TEs just behind them and a bit outside them so they had plenty of help.. IOW, he was protecting both, and did a commendable job of it.

They are not among the best OTs in the NFL however. As depth they are the best i have seen. Big difference between A+ depth and among the best OTs in the NFL.

As for using a #1 pick , most likely late, on an OT, that is no longer #1 need. Safety is. However, based on BPA and assuming we trade for more picks, which could be with a player or one of our picks(eg, trading down from 1st rd), if a sure fire OT is there and Ss are funky, sure we just may go OT...or if a DE is there i could see that.

Point is with Brunskill and Skule, we no longer have a desperate need at OT starter nor depth, but can look for someone on down the pipeline depending on BPA . Also if a great Corner were there, we would look there also.

I do agree that this OL + depth is as good as we have had in yrs
So damn it looks like we have some honest depth at tackle! I was worried when Staley and McGkinch went down but they've done okay. Good experience gained that we may need again later in the season.
Both Skule and Brunskill said the exact same thing on MM's podcast. They said it was the variety of the rushers that prepared them for everything. Great point.

I was really questioning him coming into this year but looking back, Kyle was passing 60% of the time...lots of stress for pass protection and it failed. Now that we're running 60%, it's not as much an issue (understatement).

Coupled with Kyle's scheme for the first read, extra protection and this, they've MORE than weathered the storm.

Now with Staley, McGlinchey and Juice back, Kyle can open the whole playbook and the magic begins!!!

Starting next Monday against the Seahacks!! Lehhss Goooo Niners!!
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Each Brunskill and Skule are among the best tackles in the NFL. They've each been tested against consensus top-tier pass rushers. And obviously, they have done well in the run game. The tape and grades (considering their experience level) is absolutely absurd.

I hope this means we don't have to suffer through an entire offseason of people trying to justify using a 1st round pick on OL -- considering it is painfully obvious we already have starting quality depth on the roster. Tough to see a late 1st rounder playing better than either Skule or Brunskill.

They are that legit.

I will sort of agree with you but as GM alluded to, kyle has helped scheme around both Skule and Brunskill , but also for the first handful of games had TEs just behind them and a bit outside them so they had plenty of help.. IOW, he was protecting both, and did a commendable job of it.

They are not among the best OTs in the NFL however. As depth they are the best i have seen. Big difference between A+ depth and among the best OTs in the NFL.

As for using a #1 pick , most likely late, on an OT, that is no longer #1 need. Safety is. However, based on BPA and assuming we trade for more picks, which could be with a player or one of our picks(eg, trading down from 1st rd), if a sure fire OT is there and Ss are funky, sure we just may go OT...or if a DE is there i could see that.

Point is with Brunskill and Skule, we no longer have a desperate need at OT starter nor depth, but can look for someone on down the pipeline depending on BPA . Also if a great Corner were there, we would look there also.

I do agree that this OL + depth is as good as we have had in yrs

Solid post paso!
Wait, so oline isn't a weakness as I was told earlier in the season
Originally posted by Alfienator:

depends on the mood of some posters.

It was a major concern as the season opened based on last season's performance.

Many of us, including me, were most pleasantly surprised how well our running game improved.

Now at the half-way point I think the OLine is a solid respectable unit that still has room to improve.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

It was a major concern as the season opened based on last season's performance.

Many of us, including me, were most pleasantly surprised how well our running game improved.

Now at the half-way point I think the OLine is a solid respectable unit that still has room to improve.

Well said.
LMAO. Joe gets it.

But sorry buddy...Kyle's been waiting weeks to open this up. Get ready to pass protect!
For perspective, 125 hits least year or 7.81 a game. This year? 4.25.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Damn we look damn good considering both starting tackles were out for some time.

On another note...Pitt is second in least hits so, their oline is pretty good considering their QB isn't a running QB like Kyler and Lamar. However, our D line was able to harass that ass all day. Can't wait for our trenches to serve the cawks on Monday
For perspective, 125 hits least year or 7.81 a game. This year? 4.25.

Damn how is Wilson still alive?
Share 49ersWebzone