There are 141 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by Chief:
So, a big what if....

What if the line plays worse with the starters?

After 6 weeks of no playing, we have to be ready for that.

And it totally happened.
We said there would be a game where the OL talent would need to shine through and not be protected or schemed around, particularly with pass protection. Tonight was one of those nights. Kyle left them on an island against a poor Seattle defense so he could focus on trying to scheme around the loss of a running game and Kittle and Sanders (who WAS our whole game plan BTW) and they failed miserably.

You don't suck Staley, but your whole unit sucked tonight when talent needed to shine through in a huge game. Kyle used smoke and mirrors as best he could but tonight he needed you to step up so he could call a professional game plan.

This is why you need to invest heavily in the OL (same with DL...which we've done and the talent differential showed incredibly tonight).
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 12, 2019 at 6:56 AM ]
How the fuq can Staley be given a 69 grade by PFF and at the same time note this?

Do they just give one positive and one negative grade so they can never be wrong...or right?

Originally posted by NCommand:
How the fuq can Staley be given a 69 grade by PFF and at the same time note this?

Do they just give one positive and one negative grade so they can never be wrong...or right?

Precisely. Also watching Garland get absolutely ****ed up in limited action was pretty downright terrifying. We badly need an upgrade at backup center, or let Brunskill be that guy this year.
  • dj43

Staley actually got a 65, low average. That is about what it looked like against Clowney.

The interior guys were even worse. They just were not ready for the heat.
[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 12, 2019 at 9:36 AM ]

I saw this and was like WTF but I'm guessing whatever positives Staley and McGlinchey had to boost their grade was off Ansah. Only Clowney did anything, but it was a lot of anything and he did it to both tackles on damn near every snap.
Originally posted by raywm3:
I hate McGlinchey.... so bad.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NABayezid:
It was a gamble to bring back Staley and McGlinchey for this game and it backfired. Brunskill and Skule should have started. Losing Richburg did not help either. Jimmy was under pressure all game

Rust would be there whether you bring them back back a game later or not. You need to get out there and play to knock that rust off.

And we have Chandler Jones and T-Sizzle next, not any better of a match up to try and knock the rust off. We follow that with Preston and Za'Darius Smith, so by bringing them back for last night's game, it buys them more time to knock rust off and get back into sync before a tough 3 game stretch that includes 2 back to back road games on the east coast.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by evil:
It was a gamble to bring back Staley and McGlinchey for this game and it backfired. Brunskill and Skule should have started. Losing Richburg did not help either. Jimmy was under pressure all game

Rust would be there whether you bring them back back a game later or not. You need to get out there and play to knock that rust off.

And we have Chandler Jones and T-Sizzle next, not any better of a match up to try and knock the rust off. We follow that with Preston and Za'Darius Smith, so by bringing them back for last night's game, it buys them more time to knock rust off and get back into sync before a tough 3 game stretch that includes 2 back to back road games on the east coast.

evil as much as I hope that was just rust, it seemed like neither was 100% to me. Maybe rushed back too soon?

Maybe and in that case then a bad call.

But both guys probably aren't or weren't letting on to how healthy they really felt with the medical staff.
I think part of it too is letting them get thrown immediately back into the fire because practice only does so much, so at least get the rust out of their system in actual game situations.

• jcs
  • Veteran
Going to be hard to beat good teams when our Oline and WR's decide to suck.
[ Edited by jcs on Nov 12, 2019 at 11:04 AM ]

evil as much as I hope that was just rust, it seemed like neither was 100% to me. Maybe rushed back too soon?

Maybe and in that case then a bad call.

But both guys probably aren't or weren't letting on to how healthy they really felt with the medical staff.

We didn't even attempt OZ...might be a strong indication they can't get out and run yet.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Simply cannot have McGlinchey out there over Brunskill right now. This season -- he is a liability.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by okdkid:
Simply cannot have McGlinchey out there over Brunskill right now. This season -- he is a liability.

going back to our old ways. lovely
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I don't believe for one second these guys are 100%.

Nobody is 100%. But McGlinchey was not good this season even before his injury.
Share 49ersWebzone