There are 219 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I don't believe for one second these guys are 100%.

Nobody is 100%. But McGlinchey was not good this season even before his injury.

Last night he just let a dude go right by him and threw his hands up like he had no idea how to block anymore.

That's not good football.
Staley twice wiffed on a pass blocks so bad it looked like some rookie guard that had to go fill in at Tackle on the fly. Also Garland got destroyed for the strip sack fumble td. All in all it was a terrible night for the o-line as a whole add to that the one team wrecking crew of Kendrick Bourne and things got worse.
Simply cannot have McGlinchey out there over Brunskill right now. This season -- he is a liability.

McGlinchey, being so tall, always had trouble getting his pad level low enough to be effective in PP. When that happens, you lose leverage and you appear weak. That was very evident again last night. He lost leverage and his footwork was slow.

I know it is beginning to sound like a broken record but Brunskill does work with a lower pad level and he does have much better footwork in PP. I don't expect McGlinchey to be benched right now unless his "checkup" turns up something, however, another game like last night and something has to be done.
Simply cannot have McGlinchey out there over Brunskill right now. This season -- he is a liability.

This is the offense from the past 2 years. And the QB hits are starting to climb right back up with the quickness. Damnit.
My opinion is if McGlinchey get back to playing better I would like to see Brunskill at right guard as Person has struggled all season.
The next 3 games will tell a lot about our OLine and what we need to do.
Hey guys...wanna watch how s**tty our OL is at pass protection when Kyle finally decides to open up the offense? It wasn't any better when he tried to run either.

Embarrassing
Originally posted by NCommand:
Hey guys...wanna watch how s**tty our OL is at pass protection when Kyle finally decides to open up the offense? It wasn't any better when he tried to run either.

Embarrassing

the oline played bad because staley and mcglinchey werent supposed to play on the big stage coming off an injury. glinch will be fine once he gets out of the rust. also the o line played bad when richburg went out. once he went back in they played better. the o line will be fine.

Embarrassing

Wow
I know it was bad when I was watching it live but seeing the breakdown on that clip is quite alarming. I understand getting beat sometimes but a few of those plays were just down right awful.
I'll give Clowney some credit and yes the OL didn't do their best but some of this was Jimmy holding the ball too long. Everyone seemed unexpectedly rattled. IMHO.

I'd probably hold the ball too if the only guys on the team that catch the ball aren't on the field.

I'll give Clowney some credit and yes the OL didn't do their best but some of this was Jimmy holding the ball too long. Everyone seemed unexpectedly rattled. IMHO.

IMHO, Kyle had a far more aggressive game plan thinking like all of us, that Staley and McGlinchey were back, Juice, Garoppolo coming off his best game and Sanders was front and center, THE passing game...then, he went down. And all the dominos fell.

But yeah, props to Clowney who played like Lawrence Taylor on coke and Garoppolo had his issues too. Lots of blame to go around.
Originally posted by goldensnake:
the oline played bad because staley and mcglinchey werent supposed to play on the big stage coming off an injury. glinch will be fine once he gets out of the rust. also the o line played bad when richburg went out. once he went back in they played better. the o line will be fine.

Agreed. No excuses for Tomlinson and Person, who also had a poor night but once Staley gets back from that finger surgery, they'll all get back to form, hopefully.
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:

Embarrassing

Wow
I know it was bad when I was watching it live but seeing the breakdown on that clip is quite alarming. I understand getting beat sometimes but a few of those plays were just down right awful.

Wow just wow sure hope we are better this week & going forward
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I feel we made a mistake not upgrading the OL (I'm mean more than a #6 draft pick). And said so. Then it seems I was proven wrong as we go 8-0 and no real breakdown from the group even when our two best (tackles) were injured. I give credit to Shanahan. We seem to run block as much a pass block when passing.
Run successfully, get a lead, force the other team to throw. Winning formula. Seattle figured this out and why we saw 8 in the box so much.
Got the early lead but then struggled to run then lost the lead. When teams know we have to throw that seems to expose our OL the most.
We don't pass block well when you know we are passing.

Count on a lot of 8 in the box going forward. Every DC unsure of how to attack us is no longer unsure.

I suspect going forward our OL won't look as good as the early part of the season.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
I feel we made a mistake not upgrading the OL (I'm mean more than a #6 draft pick). And said so. Then it seems I was proven wrong as we go 8-0 and no real breakdown from the group even when our two best (tackles) were injured. I give credit to Shanahan. We seem to run block as much a pass block when passing.
Run successfully, get a lead, force the other team to throw. Winning formula. Seattle figured this out and why we saw 8 in the box so much.
Got the early lead but then struggled to run then lost the lead. When teams know we have to throw that seems to expose our OL the most.

Count on a lot of 8 in the box going forward. Every DC unsure of how to attack us is no longer unsure.

I suspect going forward our OL won't look as good as the early part of the season.

Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Nice post, old joe
Share 49ersWebzone