LISTEN: Are The 49ers Headed For A Future Without Brandon Aiyuk? →

There are 88 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Why is everybody so surprised at our drop in output from the running game? Our OL is not built for power running. They cannot run at will against a heavy defensive front. Our running game is built on scheme. We have mobile linemen that can execute this scheme. But when defensive coordinators game plan specifically to stop that scheme, the result is we can't run.

We do not have a power running game. We cannot "impose our will" in the running game. If Shanahan wanted to have that kind of offense, we would have a completely different OL.

Our passing game has been effective. But we will keep seeing defenses scheme to stop our run until we stop committing turnovers in the passing game.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by dj43:
Defenses are scheming differently now than they were in the first 6 games. They are committing more defenders to stop the run, and it is working. It will continue to be that way until the 49ers can prove they can win consistently by passing. That is not just up to Jimmy. The receivers have to get healthy and play at a consistently high level.

With a healthy Kittle, Sanders and Juice, along with Deebo, defenses will have to respect the pass more, which will open the run game again. If you look at who the 49ers were running out there yesterday after Sanders went out, you can see why it was hard to run. Nobody would respect that crew...yet Jimmy and Kyle got it done.

In order to win these upcoming games, health is the number one component. It isn't realistic to blame the OL for the lack of a running game.

It's both tactics and execution. I hear you dj but I disagree based on the film. The Seattle game shows that teams are always stacking the box to defeat the run, they're just playing us differently and scout this team differently. We shouldn't simply be focused on passing more, but trying to figure out better ways to run the ball. It is a failing proposition to ask a QB still growing/learning how to pass in this offense to throw 30/40 times a game to win. Also there's a direct correlation between our defensive effectiveness and our ability to run. Is all the blame on the OL? No, but some? Yes. Execution is just as important as tactics. Both have to be addressed.
True.

My point was that it is not all on the OL. As you said, teams scout, and when they scout the 49ers, they see an inexperienced QB and a low quality bunch of receivers (without Kittle, and now Sanders). We can talk scheme all day and all night but until teams see a passing game that they MUST respect as much as the run, it will not change.

Back to the OL, our best PP is now on the bench (Brunskill). Person is struggling in PP. Tomlinson has been up and down. Richburg is just average. However, all three of those guys are playing at roughly the same level as they always have. There isn't much upside available. Skule is improving but he isn't the equivalent of a healthy Staley. Next year I see Brunskill replacing Person at RG but that doesn't help now.

All that suggests to me that Kyle is going to have to use more screens and misdirection stuff, along with a more effective passing game to get the run game going again.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by goldensnake:
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's hard to believe this was virtually the same line putting up 200 yards rushing on the ground. Kyle said last night this was the first time he consciously committed to the passing game solely in the second half. That's scary.

Yes this is absolutely scary. We don't have the horses to be a passing team EVEN WITH Kittle healthy. PP is not this OL's strength at all. If Kyle wants to have that type of game, he needs to bring in better guys for PP.

We held chandler jones in check yesterday. Jimmy g wasn't getting hit a whole lot either. The offensive line played well yesterday. Give them credit where it is due.

Not sure what game you saw but Jimmy was getting crushed consistently and the run game was basically non existent. OLine was awful across the board.

They stacked the box And sold out against the run. I saw jimmy g stepping up comfortably in the pocket and having good protection. Richburg glinch skule Tomlinson all played well. But whatever keep criticizing the offensive line like everybody on this thread likes to do. Winning isn't enough their always has to be bashing.
We held chandler jones in check yesterday. Jimmy g wasn't getting hit a whole lot either. The offensive line played well yesterday. Give them credit where it is due.

Jones had another sack and multiple pressures.

2 sacks (good). 7 tackles for a loss. I don't know what the finally tally was for QB pressures and hits but JG was on the ground a lot.

Free rushers coming a lot of the game; many right up the gut. Granted they have a DC who likes to bring it but just the total lack of awareness and non-handoffs were scary in PP. JG is constantly under duress and throwing off spots. We're not looking for perfection here but they keep making the same mistakes esp. in pass protection.

Without JG, if this was BeatHard, this would be a 10 sack game easily.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 18, 2019 at 2:58 PM ]
They stacked the box And sold out against the run. I saw jimmy g stepping up comfortably in the pocket and having good protection. Richburg glinch skule Tomlinson all played well. But whatever keep criticizing the offensive line like everybody on this thread likes to do. Winning isn't enough their always has to be bashing.

Pointing out a clear weakness is not bashing. It's noting an area they need to clean up on and tune up on if they want to go somewhere in the playoffs.
The running game actually misses Kittle. Some plays yesterday I said if that TE was Kittle blocking, our RB would've exploded for a big gain. We need Kittle back for this run game to work again.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
The running game actually misses Kittle. Some plays yesterday I said if that TE was Kittle blocking, our RB would've exploded for a big gain. We need Kittle back for this run game to work again.

Agreed. We miss Kittle in the run game big time
Jones had another sack and multiple pressures. 2 sacks (good). 7 tackles for a loss. I don't know what the finally tally was for QB pressures and hits but JG was on the ground a lot.

Free rushers coming a lot of the game; many right up the gut. Granted they have a DC who likes to bring it but just the total lack of awareness and non-handoffs were scary in PP. JG is constantly under duress and throwing off spots. We're not looking for perfection here but they keep making the same mistakes esp. in pass protection.

On both interceptions, the tackle was beaten and Jimmy was rushed into throwing. I understand both those throws if you're panicked and the game winning throw was another Jimmy-miracle - a blind throw high and a tad behind Wilson who made a great grab off his finger tips in stride and ran with it.

I'm really confident in saying goldentake does not watch 49er football...at all.

Jones had another sack and multiple pressures. 2 sacks (good). 7 tackles for a loss. I don't know what the finally tally was for QB pressures and hits but JG was on the ground a lot.

On both interceptions, the tackle was beaten and Jimmy was rushed into throwing. I understand both those throws if you're panicked and the game winning throw was another Jimmy-miracle - a blind throw high and a tad behind Wilson who made a great grab off his finger tips in stride and ran with it.

I'm really confident in saying goldentake does not watch 49er football...at all.

No way he does

I agree the OL was underwhelming BUT we using PFF in regards to lineman now? Ya'll need to make your minds up

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I agree the OL was underwhelming BUT we using PFF in regards to lineman now? Ya'll need to make your minds up

Pressures, hits and sacks are pretty concrete.

Operational PFF grades though...not so much esp. OL (I'll still post everything though and let others choose for themselves).
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 18, 2019 at 2:47 PM ]
So 25 pressures on 45 drop backs.

And you have clowns like this.

[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 18, 2019 at 2:52 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

exactly when its a negative stat their all over it. when its a positive stat its disregarded, making it seem like we lost the game smh.
Originally posted by lamontb:

No way he does

did we lose? if jimmy g didn't throw that garbage pick and those horrible calls on richburg and sherman we're blowing the cards out

Also...

Both Mike McGlinchey and Justin Skule had rough games in pass protection, as they could not keep the Cardinals' edge rushers away from Jimmy Garoppolo. They also had a hard time with the edge defenders in the run game, as the 49ers' offense could not get anything going on the ground all game.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-11-pff-refocused-san-francisco-49ers-36-arizona-cardinals-26

don't forget kittle wasn't playing. Pff is right when its negative and wrong when it's positive is basically how your spinning it
Share 49ersWebzone