There are 229 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is the kind of vision our OL needs.

Damn, wanted that dude so bad that draft year. He's a bad man.
This line would just needs another interior lineman. Hopefully our late 1st!
When Staley is back and healthy I would love to see them go with Staley-Tomlinson-Richburgh-Brunskill-McGlichey lineup. It just seems like Person is the weak link. Best 5 on the field?
Originally posted by NinerGM:
This is the kind of vision our OL needs.

I wish I could show the clip of Tomlinson to show the stark contrast here as it encapsulates the blinders all our OL seem to be playing with right now. They've been so focused on run blocking all year I think they may have regressed in PP from last year.
That play above is not inside zone. There's a kicker and wrapper in that play. Without having seen the actual play, it looks like a power/counter from those stills.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 20, 2019 at 9:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
That play above is not inside zone. There's a kicker and wrapper in that play. Without having seen the actual play, it looks like a power/counter from those stills.

There you go NinerGM.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/193115-week-coaches-film-analysis-arizona-cardinals/page3/#post34
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
The double-whiff run-blocking has been unbelievable.

yeah, agree, but it's fixable if it's only that. I think the problem is much deeper than that, namely a sub par passing game because Emanuel and Kittle are injured. Deebo and Dwelly are stepping up, and that's why I think we got the AZ win (from a passing standpoint). Also I think they've figured out how to defend Kyle's run game - basically an 8 man front. If you have 8 men in the box (or on the LOS) its pretty tough to run on if everybody knows their assignments and don't get fooled by all the misdirection orbital fake one way, go the other way, kind of run action window dressings.
Maybe the in flux of injuries the last few weeks, with guys not practicing to save a bit of their health for the game affected the execution in the run game. If this team stays healthy for a stretch of 3-4 games, they would destroy people.
QB Hits are starting to rise quickly over the past few weeks the more we're forced to throw. It's still solid overall because of the first 6+ games when we were running at will and attempting the fewest passes in the league by a mile.

Well done! I appreciate anyone who puts in the work and who can also show a visual (sticks better). I'm sure JD or thl or another can teach you how to embed the gif. I'll have to watch that play in real time, maybe tomorrow when the all22 comes out to see if that was IZ or not. Others might already have enough to tell.

THL brought up this same play in the film breakdown thread
QB Hits are starting to rise quickly over the past few weeks the more we're forced to throw. It's still solid overall because of the first 6+ games when we were running at will and attempting the fewest passes in the league by a mile.

I'd expect hits to go up.

Jimmy G has thrown the ball 128 times the past 3 games. The 7 pervious games he attempted 189 passes. Dak has more hits on him and has by far a better OL. He's throwing the ball a ton this yr. hits go up when pass attempts go up. it's science

Like I've been saying from day one, Kyle's scheme is built around running the ball. PP is important BUT he will always go for the stud run-blocker. establishing the run = less hits on the QB, which in turn sets up play-action (which in itself is a form of PP).

Our issue right now is our OL is forgetting how to run-block. Yes they're stacking the box (at times) and run blitzing, but as we can see in the film breakdown thread dudes are just missing blocks. It looks like mental errors that can be corrected IMO.

I'm very disappointed in McG since his return...he was an elite run-blocker, but that hasn't been the case for a couple games. Hopefully he can fix the mistakes.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 21, 2019 at 6:59 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'd expect hits to go up.

Jimmy G has thrown the ball 128 times the past 3 games. The 7 pervious games he attempted 189 passes. Dak has more hits on him and has by far a better OL. He's throwing the ball a ton this yr. hits go up when pass attempts go up. it's science

Like I've been saying from day one, Kyle's scheme is built around running the ball. PP is important BUT he will always go for the stud run-blocker. establishing the run = less hits on the QB, which in turn sets up play-action (which in itself is a form of PP).

Our issue right now is our OL is forgetting how to run-block. Yes they're stacking the box (at times) and run blitzing, but as we can see in the film breakdown thread dudes are just missing blocks. It looks like mental errors that can be corrected IMO.

I'm very disappointed in McG since his return...he was an elite run-blocker, but that hasn't been the case for a couple games. Hopefully he can fix the mistakes.

Yeah, exactly. It's science. That was my point. Too funny!

Hits, pressures and sacks should go up with more attempts like they go down when you're running 200 yards a game and passing the least amount.

That's why that PBWR stat is far more meaningful on page 1115...and we're 25th there. Meaning, we still suck ass at PP despite having a QB basically leading in TTT at 2.6 . This would easily be the worst PP line if not for JG's quick processing and delivery.

And the run focusing point is true...it straight up exasperates the scenario; trickle down effect. IMHO, with such a run blocking focus the first 7 games, now that Kyle has had to pull a 180, I'm seeing a ton of breakdowns on PP as if they've forgotten some basics, key communications, lesser talent against good talent, etc.

It's just not a good OL right now. The Packers DL will be a huge test. And conversely, their OL is #1 PBWR; great test for our DL.

I hope they can get their s**t together esp. in the run game.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 21, 2019 at 7:46 AM ]
Pro Bowl Fan Voting. The number before their name denotes what place they are currently in the voting process. Are our fans voting for everyone with an SF logo by their name? To me Person is the only one who has performed pretty well all season. Not sure how Staley or McGlinchey have votes since they have missed so many games. IMHO we need to draft a Center in the first round next year.

Guards
10, Person, Mike (49ers)

Tackles
6, Staley, Joe (49ers)
8, McGlinchey, Mike (49ers)

Centers
8, Richburg, Weston (49ers)
Originally posted by Niners_D:
Pro Bowl Fan Voting. The number before their name denotes what place they are currently in the voting process. Are our fans voting for everyone with an SF logo by their name? To me Person is the only one who has performed pretty well all season. Not sure how Staley or McGlinchey have votes since they have missed so many games. IMHO we need to draft a Center in the first round next year.

Guards
10, Person, Mike (49ers)

Tackles
6, Staley, Joe (49ers)
8, McGlinchey, Mike (49ers)

Centers
8, Richburg, Weston (49ers)

Share 49ersWebzone