Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
What great unity. Who knew?

Nice, props to Skule and Brunskill
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 9moon:
I say we Trade for Trent Williams of the Redskins..

Then we can start developing young players (BPA) since it looks like we're drafting late this year.

Nope

1st, Snyder isn't trading with SF.
2nd we have fine tackles...it's the interior that's the issue mainly.
3rd. SF is limited on capital.
4th. Williams hasn't played football in a while (is always banged up) and is gonna want top end money. Something we need to sign our own.

we got ross reynolds! and esp if we trade down. i bet we can find a couple rookies for the o line
Biggest OL needs IMO

1. Backup C-The thought of Richburg missing any time is a scary proposition. They've shown that they can get by with their backup tackles but each time Richburg goes out or has been hurt, the offense really seems to struggle.

2. Another tackle prospect to develop. Competition is not bad and they'll eventually need a replacement for Staley. I'm also assuming that Brunskill gets moved to guard and becomes a starter there.

3. A guard to develop to eventually replace Tomlinson.
Originally posted by cciowa:
we got ross reynolds! and esp if we trade down. i bet we can find a couple rookies for the o line

Ross Reynolds yeah I'm hoping they move down a couple times to recoup some day 2/3 picks.

This draft is chalk full of WRs and there's some OL talent to be had.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Biggest OL needs IMO

1. Backup C-The thought of Richburg missing any time is a scary proposition. They've shown that they can get by with their backup tackles but each time Richburg goes out or has been hurt, the offense really seems to struggle.

2. Another tackle prospect to develop. Competition is not bad and they'll eventually need a replacement for Staley. I'm also assuming that Brunskill gets moved to guard and becomes a starter there.

We can address both with 1 person, pick or FA. You're right tho our back-up at OC is scary.

If we're looking for IOL early in the draft that can play center/guard in this scheme....Creed Humphrey is a no-brainer option.

Pretty athletic and smooth. Great for ZB. He's similar to Garrett Bradbury IMO.

He might not even make it to the bottom of the 1st. I really would like to move off the pick and recoup picks BUT I wouldn't hate it if he somehow was the pick.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
What great unity. Who knew?

Nice, props to Skule and Brunskill

He's definitely a Warrior! I can really see Skule developing next year into a future starter - once Staley decides to start coaching the OLine. If I was Staley, I'd see if I could be Benton's assistant coach!
Originally posted by cciowa:

Ross Reynolds yeah I'm hoping they move down a couple times to recoup some day 2/3 picks.

This draft is chalk full of WRs and there's some OL talent to be had.

Would it be more wise to nab OL earlier with an insanely deep crop of WR's?

I know we both probably want to move back.

For the OL, I think we have enough D.J. Jones' and Ronald Blair-like players for the defense...I want the Bosa, AA, Buckner and Ford's for the OL now --- actual upgrades in talent helping to take the unit to another level.

Imagine this offense with stellar balance of talent and skill. Scary. Kyle would break so many NFL records.

I don't know if that's possible but I believe that's what NinerGM and I would prefer...guys like Person, Tomlinson and a 40 year old Staley (hypothetically in skill set only) would be far more ideal as quality depth, not starters going forward. And to Phoenix's stellar point, a true C in case Richburg goes down.

Maybe we draft an AA version and it takes him 5 years to reach his potential. Maybe we draft our Bosa and Thomas with the top pick. Maybe we buy the Ford.

Not sure what the best course of action would be to get the OL to the same level as the DL. And like you noted, it may not even be a priority for ShanaLynch anyhow.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 25, 2019 at 11:12 AM ]

For the OL, I think we have enough D.J. Jones' and Ronald Blair-like players for the defense...I want the Bosa, AA, Buckner and Ford's for the OL now --- actual upgrades in talent helping to take the unit to another level.

Imagine this offense with stellar balance of talent and skill. Scary. Kyle would break so many NFL records.

I don't know if that's possible but I believe that's what NinerGM and I would prefer...guys like Person, Tomlinson and a 40 year old Staley (hypothetically in skill set only) would be far more ideal as quality depth, not starters going forward.

Maybe we draft an AA version and it takes him 5 years to reach his potential. Maybe we draft our Bosa and Thomas with the top pick. Maybe we buy the Ford.

Not sure what the best course of action would be to get the OL to the same level as the DL.

All depends if you want OT or IOL...this OT class isn't as great as expected IMO. Some of the top guys have sort of underperformed this yr, but will still get drafted ahead of us (because there's such a need around the league). Maybe they draft someone on day three that has slipped because of injury or something

I'm not worried about Joe at all. He was playing amazing to start the yr and literally had his fingers dislocated in the Seattle game and play through it. He's the starting LT until he retires. People need to be good with it because it's kinda the way it's gonna be. I'm also more than fine with both young backup tackles as well.

IOL is where you'd like an upgrade BUT I just can't see SF drafting IOL early... if they do someone like Creed Humphrey from Oklahoma makes a ton of sense. He's ideal for this scheme and can play center/IOL. IF you're looking for someone that can play OG and move to tackle in the future, I'd check out Alex Leatherwood from Bama. He's another good scheme fit.

Both dudes are probably 1st rd picks and might not be available when we pick at 32

end of the day I'm fine going BPA (after we trade down hopefully), we have a good team and depending on who we lose in FA don't have a ton of holes to fill.

I don't know if that's possible but I believe that's what NinerGM and I would prefer...guys like Person, Tomlinson and a 40 year old Staley (hypothetically in skill set only) would be far more ideal as quality depth, not starters going forward.

Not sure what the best course of action would be to get the OL to the same level as the DL.

All depends if you want OT or IOL...this OT class isn't as great as expected IMO. Some of the top guys have sort of underperformed this yr, but will still get drafted ahead of us (because there's such a need around the league). Maybe they draft someone on day three that has slipped because of injury or something

I'm not worried about Joe at all. He was playing amazing to start the yr and literally had his fingers dislocated in the Seattle game and play through it. He's the starting LT until he retires. People need to be good with it because it's kinda the way it's gonna be. I'm also more than fine with both young backup tackles as well.

IOL is where you'd like an upgrade BUT I just can't see SF drafting IOL early... if they do someone like Creed Humphrey from Oklahoma makes a ton of sense. He's ideal for this scheme and can play center/IOL. IF you're looking for someone that can play OG and move to tackle in the future, I'd check out Alex Leatherwood from Bama. He's another good scheme fit.

Both dudes are probably 1st rd picks and might not be available when we pick at 32

end of the day I'm fine going BPA (after we trade down hopefully), we have a good team and depending on who we lose in FA don't have a ton of holes to fill.

Thanks for those resources...appreciate that.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agree with your assessment that there isn't a ton of holes to fill on this team. I'm all for trading down and getting some raw but talented players to bolster the depth of this team. WR and Edge Rusher would be *my* priorities because I have doubts about Goodwin and Pettis developing into star WR's, and Dee Ford's knee - short term, can be handled, but in year 2 or year 3 (when we might lose him to FA) is a problem in my mind.

no prob...we should start a "Hog Molly" thread in the draft forum. For all you OL lovers

no prob...we should start a "Hog Molly" thread in the draft forum. For all you OL lovers

That would certainly bring good traffic!
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree with your assessment that there isn't a ton of holes to fill on this team. I'm all for trading down and getting some raw but talented players to bolster the depth of this team. WR and Edge Rusher would be *my* priorities because I have doubts about Goodwin and Pettis developing into star WR's, and Dee Ford's knee - short term, can be handled, but in year 2 or year 3 (when we might lose him to FA) is a problem in my mind.

I totally agree. ER is a tad overlooked because of the immediate success and resources put into that position but losing a speed ER should not be understated. I like Moore but he's not nearly as quick and elusive as Ford (special player).
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Definitely. It'll be interesting to see where the priorities lie now. Good point about defense...Ward, Jones, AA, Moore, Blair, etc. have a legit chance to resign with us. We didn't invest all that to let them go.

Phoenix and LifelongNiner have both recently brought up the missing element to the next phase of this offense. A true deep threat and deep passing game. To have that, you need stellar PP and a reliable burner and lots of practice on it.

That certainly points to OL and WR being the top priorities. This WILL be the first chance ShanaLynch can invest in the OL if they want...they don't seem to be shy about admitting mistakes either so WR at the back end of the draft could be a real possibility. Maybe a top TE.

I'm all for a deep threat, but we don't really see Jimmy G take those shots down field at all. Had a nice one last night with Kittle juking the s**t out of a guy to get wide open.

We have one of the fastest dudes in the NFL inactive. Regardless if he can catch the damn ball his speed is still there. Hell you got a 50/50 shot he get's a PI throwing it deep most of the time. Jimmy just doesn't take the shot (even when PP is fine).

We will see.

I'd prefer a YAC guy over a speed guy but I do understand schematically why deep speed is important.

I think Samuel, Kittle, Sanders, and Coleman check those boxes.

They do, but in order to force defenses out of that run-blitz look, NC is right, we need a fast *reliable* deep threat.

We're on the same side. I've been advocating for a deep threat. I held out hope for Goodwin as long as I could. Even longer than I probably should've. I'm good with Samuel, Kittle, Sanders, a new deep threat, and hopefully (but not likely) an improved Pettis (doubt they give up after 2 seasons, 1 of which he was good), Dwelley, Hurd, Taylor, Bourne, and James. Maybe we can bring in a couple of UDFAs to compete as well.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Biggest OL needs IMO

Excellent post!
Share 49ersWebzone