Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 246 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Better him than Person i suppose.

But still a crappy loss.

Im more worried about Sherman.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Sucks. He's not a strong player to begin with. Snaps, gets high, getting pancaked easily right over Person's leg who's trying to hold his own ground with a wider base pushing forward.

Hopefully he can heal next year and build up his strength and base.

Dude I don't care if you're the rock. You don't have to be 350 lbs of muscle to not get tripped up on.

That same s**t can happen to Quinton Nelson on any given play. It's the life of a lineman in the trenches.
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:

But still a crappy loss.

This

But still a crappy loss.

Richburg is better than Person. SF has much more invested in him and the center position overall is more important than OG IMO.
We need to find another gem or 2 in the draft.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
This

I'm not. Sherm is only out a couple weeks and we have depth there.

SF might never have a healthy richburg again.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This

Agree

He seems to have been injured a lot.
This

Agree

Well, let's not forget that Sherman has been playing his best ball.

You can't just replace that.

Yes we got depth, but noone on our squad is on Sherman level.
Sucks. He's not a strong player to begin with. Snaps, gets high, getting pancaked easily right over Person's leg who's trying to hold his own ground with a wider base pushing forward.

Hopefully he can heal next year and build up his strength and base.

Dude I don't care if you're the rock. You don't have to be 350 lbs of muscle to not get tripped up on.

That same s**t can happen to Quinton Nelson on any given play. It's the life of a lineman in the trenches.

The point was, he got high and shoved back instantly 3 yards and was getting pancaked either way. His known weakness. He's not strong at the POA. OZ linemen...you're going to go through a ton of them. That won't change as you're sacrificing strength for athleticism and cardio and probability given how much you're blocking on the move and out in space.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 10, 2019 at 10:24 AM ]
This

Only 2 weeks on a grade 2? Just like Ford? That would be incredible. Gotta love the optimism though!
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 10, 2019 at 10:28 AM ]

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Person takes snaps at center, no? Would be interesting if they move him to Center and put Brunskill at G. If we have Garland at C, Donald will have his way with JimmyG.

Have another look at the game after Richburg's injury. Person, Brunskill or Garland will need help against Donald, no question. I haven't seen Brunskill playing C or G, but I am fairly sure he would be good. But Garland played well against the Saints. Shanahan may decide to run with him. If it was my decision, and thankfully it isn't, I would start Brunskill at center but be ready to bring Garland back in. The guy has a future in the NFL. I know he is 31 but I would have his corner.
This

Agree

Well, let's not forget that Sherman has been playing his best ball.

You can't just replace that.

Yes we got depth, but noone on our squad is on Sherman level.

Truth

I was referring to Richburg who is injured a lot.
Something doesn't seem to add up here with PFF.

JG was pressured on nearly 35% of his drop backs. ~ NextGenStats

[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 11, 2019 at 5:40 AM ]
The point was, he got high and shoved back instantly 3 yards and was getting pancaked either way. His known weakness. He's not strong at the POA. OZ linemen...you're going to go through a ton of them. That won't change as you're sacrificing strength for athleticism and cardio and probability given how much you're blocking on the move and out in space.

He did not get instantly shoved back 3 yards. You're not being realistic if you think a lineman is gonna stop a 300+ man who's coming forward at you AND not even have a chance to brace or establish his footing. Person had his leg directly behind him basically as the ball was snapped. That's a fluke injury and a result of being in the trenches...nothing more.

Some of the best centers in football aren't monsters that can bench 500 lbs. Kelce and Hudson aren't that, but are real f**king good. Richburg has always been an above avg pass-blocker.

I understand you have a narrative in this thread regarding our OL you've been hounding about it since last yr. I agree we need to invest some draft capital there. BUT that play wasn't because he lacks at the POA.
He did not get instantly shoved back 3 yards. You're not being realistic if you think a lineman is gonna stop a 300+ man who's coming forward at you AND not even have a chance to brace or establish his footing. Person had his leg directly behind him basically as the ball was snapped. That's a fluke injury and a result of being in the trenches...nothing more.

Some of the best centers in football aren't monsters that can bench 500 lbs. Kelce and Hudson aren't that, but are real f**king good. Richburg has always been an above avg pass-blocker.

I understand you have a narrative in this thread regarding our OL you've been hounding about it since last yr. I agree we need to invest some draft capital there. BUT that play wasn't because he lacks at the POA.

It's simply addressing his clear weakness. He's a lighter weaker C at the POA. As he should. He's a zone blocking OL. Not power/gap. Usually he can recover after a few yards but that's extra strain on his back and knees when he comes out of his snap high like he did there. I've seen this many times from him. The bottom line is, if he stays low with proper technique and he holds the POA, he's not getting driven back 3 yards over Person's leg. He was getting pancaked either way.
Share 49ersWebzone