Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 267 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
It's simply addressing his clear weakness. He's a lighter weaker C at the POA. As he should. He's a zone blocking OL. Not power/gap. Usually he can recover after a few yards but that's extra strain on his back and knees when he comes out of his snap high like he did there. I've seen this many times from him. The bottom line is, if he stays low with proper technique and he holds the POA, he's not getting driven back 3 yards over Person's leg. He was getting pancaked either way.

Point is he wasn't driven back 3 yards like you're saying....

did he come out of his stance high? sure...he literally got his leg caught up in Person's as soon as the ball was snapped. That's my whole point. You could be Q Nelson on that play and still get "pancaked" you NEED to be able to have footing when a 300lb DT is blasting off the snap at you. NO ONE is winning the POA when they're getting leg kicked for behind as soon as the POA is initiated.

There is no bottom line regarding THIS play. He never had a chance to brace himself.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 11, 2019 at 6:17 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Point is he wasn't driven back 3 yards like you're saying....

did he come out of his stance high? sure...he literally got his leg caught up in Person's as soon as the ball was snapped. That's my whole point. You could be Q Nelson on that play and still get "pancaked" you NEED to be able to have footing when a 300lb DT is blasting off the snap at you. NO ONE is winning the POA when they're getting leg kicked for behind as soon as the POA is initiated.

There is no bottom line regarding THIS play. He never had a chance to brace himself.

Fair. My "3 yards" was where he was going to be pancaked by or driven too. He'd clearly lost leverage from the start and was going backwards by a stronger player who already won leverage and momentum.

Usually when I watch the OL, I'm looking at LOS...who's establishing it, what direction is it moving, technique, etc. hence WHY Person had such a wide base there (weaker...needing to drive forward to win).

IMHO, this isn't a fluke injury. This is a consequence of losing technique right at the snap. And an unfortunate one because overall, he's a good solid C for us and very smart.

You can also see the run looked like it was to go inside his hole too so he needed to win at the snap.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 11, 2019 at 9:01 AM ]
Fair. My "3 yards" was where he was going to be pancaked by or driven too. He'd clearly lost leverage from the start and was going backwards by a stronger player who already won leverage and momentum.

Usually when I watch the OL, I'm looking at LOS...who's establishing it, what direction is it moving, technique, etc. hence WHY Person had such a wide base there (weaker...needing to drive forward to win).

IMHO, this isn't a fluke injury. This is a consequence of losing technique right at the snap. And an unfortunate one because overall, he's a good solid C for us and very smart.

You can also see the run looked like it was to go inside his hole too so he needed to win at the snap.

Without question it's a fluke injury totally disagree

No biggie. He wins his run blocking assignment there at the POA, he's not hurt IMHO. You disagree. That's OK.

Have to agree with NYN. Feel like the only way to argue it not being a fluke is if we expect Richburg to never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever in a million years lose leverage in a game for even one, single play. It happened in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that in it's very nature is the definition of a fluke play.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Have to agree with NYN. Feel like the only way to argue it not being a fluke is if we expect Richburg to never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever in a million years lose leverage in a game for even one, single play. It happened in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that in it's very nature is the definition of a fluke play.

Agree and let's change the subject.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Fluke injury or not...what is not a fluke is that Richburg sure has quite an injury riddled career. He is consistent.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Agree and let's change the subject.

Lol yup and yup

Pretty much this. Dudes lose leverage even the best every game.

The run was designed to come up inside behind both Person and Richburg. So while it was fluky to get bent over Person's extra wide base, if Richburg has proper technique and wins at the POA, that injury never happens. But yes, you can't expect to win every rep. Obviously. Plus he's a smaller zone blocker...not a power/gap 310+ C so he needs extra space and time to anchor against a strong DL...esp. one who wins in technique.

Originally posted by okdkid:
Fluke injury or not...what is not a fluke is that Richburg sure has quite an injury riddled career. He is consistent.

That was my concern with signing him (watched him for yrs in Ny) I told NC that when he wanted SF to sign him.
Not to sound cruel, but are there any hyped Centers hitting this draft? Late 20's is where you snag one and it may just make too much sense. Center/guard combo etc.
Originally posted by okdkid:

That was my concern with signing him (watched him for yrs in Ny) I told NC that when he wanted SF to sign him.

Yes you did. And IIRC, I said, "Oh. He'll fit in perfectly here then." LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 12, 2019 at 7:53 AM ]

Agreed. Injuries suck but it's part of football.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Agreed. Injuries suck but it's part of football.

Losing your starting C two years in a row is not "part of football" though.
Share 49ersWebzone