Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 247 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Pretty much this. Dudes lose leverage even the best every game.

Agreed. Injuries suck but it's part of football.

Losing your starting C two years in a row is not "part of football" though.

It is when your part of the niners we have alot of bad luck. Let's just hope our backup does well enough.
It is when your part of the niners we have alot of bad luck. Let's just hope our backup does well enough.

Touche!
Yes you did. And IIRC, I said, "Oh. He'll fit in perfectly here then." LOL

Yup lol. There's often a reason why good football players are available in FA. A lot of the time there's some sort of injury history tie into it. Hence why blowing a ton of cash on FAs might not be the best route to building a team

We lost him last yr? Did he go on IR i don't remember that happening

Iirc he just played hurt
Next man up. The line stabilized with Staley and McGlinchey coming back so maybe it will help tighten up the line. He's an Air Force graduate so he must have the brains.

Yup lol. There's often a reason why good football players are available in FA. A lot of the time there's some sort of injury history tie into it. Hence why blowing a ton of cash on FAs might not be the best route to building a team

I totally agree.

We lost him last yr? Did he go on IR i don't remember that happening

Iirc he just played hurt

I had to go look it up. It was Tomlinson who went on I.R. late last year. He did in fact play hurt but finish out the year.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

However, I agree with taking chances on players. You're right NY, it is why good football player are available in FA. I think you have to take chances sometimes. As we started chatting about this at the beginning of the year, my only issue was if you go eyes-wide open into a player like that, get an insurance plan. A good one. At the same time you're purchasing the primary option. Now I can't say who was available at the top of FA for a center/guard and I know we didn't grab Garland until much later in the off-season. I know you can't be deep everywhere, but on this offense, back-up center is like having a proven back-up QB. And if he can spot at OG, even better. Less risk, more investment in key spots on the team or double investment (Ford then Bosa) to help mitigate bad outcomes (Could you imagine if we said we don't need Bosa because we traded for Ford?). Is it 100% full proof? No. But sure feel a lot better that we grabbed Bosa AND Ford because we'd be sunk without a pass-rush.

I think the same way about center.

IMHO when you invest so much capital into FA you're committed to that person or persons. It's one thing to "invest" in an insurance plan BUT you gotta realize there's like 21+ other positions and only so much $ and draft capital to go around

We also have to realize there are only so many snaps to be had. Center is a position where they soak up all those snaps. Garland was a guy who already knew the system. He played in a SB with Kyle. Garland can also play every IOL position. Person is another guy who's started at center. The need for edge/WR/LB and even DB (at that pt) outweighed the need for a backup center imo. Would a day 3 pick on a OL been better than Garland? I mean I don't know about that. I'm very happy with our draft.

As far as the Bosa example, I don't see that as apples to apples. Bosa was the best player in the draft. You could argue it's the most important position on defense. You can also start two edge rushers vs one center.
I had to go look it up. It was Tomlinson who went on I.R. late last year. He did in fact play hurt but finish out the year.

Correct. I will say Richburg is not a p***y that's for sure. played with a torn quad and in NY I think he was playing with a broken hand or something as well.

Injuries happen, the only time I can say a dude is injury prone is when the same injury happens over and over (or when one injury is the result of another).

IMO This injury was the result of playing in the trenches. It happens. Say exact thing could happen to Alex Mack or any other center on any given play. Losing at POA happens to every lineman at some pt. you got fatties falling all over the place and feet/legs all over the place. Is what it is.

Hope he can make a full recovery. I do think they will have to find someone in the draft that can play all along the IOL. We will see. I trust this coaching staff and scouting department.
Pretty much this. Dudes lose leverage even the best every game.

Agreed. Injuries suck but it's part of football.

At this point and thru NO FAULT of his own - he's unreliable.

JL/KS will need to look for either depth or a FA starter next season.

Hopefully Garland will rise tot eh occasion and be a star.

that richberg/kyle hug is really touching.
I say we draft that Center from Wisconsin Tyler Biadasz in the late 1st. Richburg may never be the same with this particular injury. Biadasz is one of the best Centers I've seen coming out of college for a long time.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
I say we draft that Center from Wisconsin Tyler Biadasz in the late 1st. Richburg may never be the same with this particular injury. Biadasz is one of the best Centers I've seen coming out of college for a long time.

Not sure he gonna last all the way to us but I'm down. I'd prefer trading back and getting more picks though
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

Isn't Biadasz problem that he lacks ideal athleticism? Why does he keep getting mentioned? Our C needs to move.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/tyler-biadasz/YUCSzD6Bsq
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Not sure he gonna last all the way to us but I'm down. I'd prefer trading back and getting more picks though

IMO, he won't even get close to us.
Share 49ersWebzone