Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
So do a pie chart and have some fun.

Is it subjective if it becomes fact over multiple years? There's only 3 people on the planet who wouldn't admit the OL was a big reason for the loss. Maybe less now.

And the failure wasn't just on the players. They did the best they could. They just weren't very talented IMHO and all the playoff numbers back that up. The real failure was on the FO over many years.

But if you do want to talk about other failed units too I could just as easily talk about the FO again since once again, the defense collectively failed again in the 4Q despite a FO that spent years and years and years of resources to build up for a defense that could close out games. So did they fail because of a talent deficiency, scheme/coaching, and/or player execution?

They all failed equally so then it's an equal failure across the board right?

What people said the OL wasn't a factor for the loss? Now YOU are the one making things up. That's never happened.

Which players weren't very talented?

Equally? That's subjective but the discussion yesterday was the QB and OL should be equal on the pie chart. My issue wasn't about the weight but ensuring all the elements were included in the pie. But that's just me.

OK, what weight would you give the QB and OL?

Playoffs: Brunskill and Compton are not talented and Tomlinson reverted back to being poor in PP again. Mack was solid...average. Trent was injured. And together they couldn't run or pass block.

The O line was definitely not good enough to overcome two injured starting tackles.

And whose is?

No one is and that is the point.

You sure that's the point?

Yes. That is the point I was making.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by dlance:

Is it subjective if it becomes fact over multiple years? There's only 3 people on the planet who wouldn't admit the OL was a big reason for the loss. Maybe less now.

And the failure wasn't just on the players. They did the best they could. They just weren't very talented IMHO and all the playoff numbers back that up. The real failure was on the FO over many years.

But if you do want to talk about other failed units too I could just as easily talk about the FO again since once again, the defense collectively failed again in the 4Q despite a FO that spent years and years and years of resources to build up for a defense that could close out games. So did they fail because of a talent deficiency, scheme/coaching, and/or player execution?

What people said the OL wasn't a factor for the loss? Now YOU are the one making things up. That's never happened.

Equally? That's subjective but the discussion yesterday was the QB and OL should be equal on the pie chart. My issue wasn't about the weight but ensuring all the elements were included in the pie. But that's just me.

Playoffs: Brunskill and Compton are not talented and Tomlinson reverted back to being poor in PP again. Mack was solid...average. Trent was injured. And together they couldn't run or pass block.

The O line was definitely not good enough to overcome two injured starting tackles.

Well really No team can really over come losing both tackles, The issue I have is Trent William get hurt almost every year. He is going to miss games and they did nothing for when he is out. MM is coming off serious injury what if he is not ready for the start of the year or get hurt early and is out. They will be lining up 2 back up tackles. If anyone ells get hurt at that point there in real trouble. All the OL depth is later round talent. There is no one pushing the starter for a job. Over the years they should have put a little less on the DL and a Little more on the OL in the draft.

Strong post!

This sentence jumped off the page and is one the big reasons why I also think OL isn't going to be good. There's really no competition for starters like at ALL and it's because penciled in starters are demonstrably good or stalwarts, it's just been given. If Aaron Banks isn't very good they're screwed. No one is really pushing him. No one is pushing Brunskill at 2 positions (C and RG) and he's being moved out of necessity. Buford isn't being pushed only if maybe Brendel can play OG. Poe, Zjakel, West, Moore - they're all playing for back-up spots this season.

On the DL, Jackson, Willis, Turay, Ebukam, and Omenihu all are in fierce competition for snaps AND being pushed by Hyder who can play both inside and outside well in this scheme. It's not even the rotation, the competition has to be one the best in the NFL right now.

That's been a huge concern for me too. Even after 5 off seasons, who was pushing Tomlinson, Brunskill and McGlinchey? Who was learning from Mack?

Oh well. All new crop now.

Who was pushing Whirfs last year? Why weren't they a difference maker in the playoffs when Whirfs went down? I mean, who the hell has so much talent on the O line that they have backups truly pushing the starters for jobs? It seems to be an unrealistic expectation. Injuries suck and we have been one of the unluckiest teams when it comes to health over the last 4 years.

I honestly do not know what they see in Brunskill. He is the only one that I can honestly agree with you on. Tomlinson played well last season but had 2 terrible games in the post season. Was he worth his asking price? Obviously not in the eyes of our FO but he did get paid elsewhere. McGlinchey is a former 1st round selection who was playing well before his injury last year.

They do have a bunch of young guys that we really do not know much about. Lets see what these guys look like when the pads come on and our starting tackles are actually in the lineup.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Did the Bucs sign Tretter?

They will

We've got to beat them to it.

you know as well as i do .. that will never happen.. we like our guys...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

And whose is?

does anyone really give a flip about any other team? saying.. oh.. we are not the only ones is not " context"... this is our hill.. these are our beans... where does it stop??... oh trey gets lost for the season cuz the o line failed miserably..... oh thats ok... all teams lose their starting quarterbacks... this whole.... other teams are in the same boat thing is the poster child of denial and deflection
Originally posted by cciowa:

And whose is?

does anyone really give a flip about any other team? saying.. oh.. we are not the only ones is not " context"... this is our hill.. these are our beans... where does it stop??... oh trey gets lost for the season cuz the o line failed miserably..... oh thats ok... all teams lose their starting quarterbacks... this whole.... other teams are in the same boat thing is the poster child of denial and deflection

Why should we care about the other 31 teams? 1) All teams are building their rosters through the same talent pool. 2) If you do not compare our team to the other 31 teams, you end up with crazy, unrealistic expectations.

Its not about denial or deflection. Its about being realistic. Have we done a good enough job building the O line? Would the O line have been good enough if we had our intended starting lineup before injuries?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

And whose is?

Why should we care about the other 31 teams? 1) All teams are building their rosters through the same talent pool. 2) If you do not compare our team to the other 31 teams, you end up with crazy, unrealistic expectations.

Its not about denial or deflection. Its about being realistic. Have we done a good enough job building the O line? Would the O line have been good enough if we had our intended starting lineup before injuries?

knowing mack was gone before the draft and free agency and then doing nothing about it other than expecting some undrafted guy who sounds like he has already been displaced by a guy who is well below average........ that is crazy and unrealistic .. oh... people like mm were underwhelming before injuries but just continue to deny deflect and make excuses
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Looks like the Bucs are going with one of their backups to replace Jensen, with still the possibility of bring in someone from the outside.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/30/with-ryan-jensen-out-until-november-or-december-bucs-turn-to-robert-hainsey-nick-leveret/
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Looks like the Bucs are going with one of their backups to replace Jensen, with still the possibility of bring in someone from the outside.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/30/with-ryan-jensen-out-until-november-or-december-bucs-turn-to-robert-hainsey-nick-leveret/

i would take those two over our "solution". we like our guys

And whose is?

knowing mack was gone before the draft and free agency and then doing nothing about it other than expecting some undrafted guy who sounds like he has already been displaced by a guy who is well below average........ that is crazy and unrealistic .. oh... people like mm were underwhelming before injuries but just continue to deny deflect and make excuses

I don't think you comprehend what the words deny and deflect mean because I did neither of those things in my post.

Do you even know who those guys are to make that claim?

Originally posted by NYniner85:

No. He doesn't. Those guys have very little experience and have not shown to be anymore proven than who we already have here.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Jul 30, 2022 at 6:14 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need to make a move on Tretter before the Bucs discover their backups suck.

Why has no one picked him up to this point? He is a solid center from what I have seen. If its his health, why bring him in if we are going to have to replace him anyway?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

No. He doesn't. Those guys have very little experience and have not shown to be anymore proven than who we already have here.
that shows you how much confidence i have in "our guys",, but you guys just continue to homer along
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

that would require us or lynch to be proactive and as you know... under lynch and his gold jacket.. that is unlawful... why he never got a nice center early in the draft or early in free agency is beyond me....... but oh.. i forgot.. all gms do this
Share 49ersWebzone