There are 216 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i would take those two over our "solution". we like our guys

Do you even know who those guys are to make that claim?

No. He doesn't. Those guys have very little experience and have not shown to be anymore proven than who we already have here.
that shows you how much confidence i have in "our guys",, but you guys just continue to homer along

You are just reflecting your anger on to me. I never made an opinion on our O line thus far. So how am I continuing my homer along? No. I am not panicking. But that is because its only been a few practices so far. Both of our starting tackles have been absent from said practices. The coaches used these few days of non padded practices to get a look at a few guys in different spots.
Yes. That is the point I was making.

Sorry should have been more clear. I get and agree with your point. Meant that it seems others don't feel that way. To me there's a difference in not being good enough and not being good enough because your OL is decimated with injuries.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Sorry should have been more clear. I get and agree with your point. Meant that it seems others don't feel that way. To me there's a difference in not being good enough and not being good enough because your OL is decimated with injuries.

Our OL is decimated with injuries every year. That's the point.
Originally posted by NCommand:

So because of that it's a failure of the team if they don't go above and beyond what every other team is doing to find a 2 deep depth chart of guys who can start at a high level.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

So because of that it's a failure of the team if they don't go above and beyond what every other team is doing to find a 2 deep depth chart of guys who can start at a high level.

Nobody said 2 deep. What did Kyle do when he started having injuries at RB?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 30, 2022 at 8:22 AM ]

He added players. Just like he did at OL.

If you want competition at every position and be ready for injuries then yah it's expecting a starter level player on the two deep.

What did Kyle and John do the last 2 drafts wrt the OL:

2nd round pick
4th round pick
5th round pick
6th round pick

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Where have you been all my life? LOL

The guaranteed injuries going into the playoffs are horrible. Not learning from it is worse though.

Because Tristan Wirfs is always healthy come playoff time.

You're about to see Tom Brady and Matt Stafford behind OL's with big losses. We saw what one "injury" to Wirfs caused.

While I think there is something to our quantity/quality correlation to injuries esp. late, I'm not faulting anyone for the injuries. The issue was not seeing the theme (like Kyle did for RB) and not building up the talent pool for 'when' it happens again.

I do think Kyle is over these dudes getting hurt though. Maybe that plays into the younger bigger frames and more straight-ahead scheme changes. We'll see.

I think Banks, Burford, Moore, and Zakelj is a good start at developing that talent pool conveyor belt we both want on the OLine. Add in some talented undrafted free agents Poe and West, and some young veterans in McKivitz, Skule. Agree, it's not ideal, considering the missed opportunities like Joe Williams, Hurd, Pettis, Solomon that could have been used to bolster the OLine, but I like where ShanaLynch is trending. We're adding these guys to the established guys - Trent, Brunskill, and McGlinchy - who aren't exactly a terrible group if they are all healthy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

To me Durability more of a scouting and draft issue than a talent development issue. I think once you get a player (drafted or undrafted) into the 53, you'd expect them to be durable like a Laken Tomlinson. I think you either have durability, or you don't. I think you *can* develop durability to a limited extent (Frank Gore is an example) - but you have to put a lot of work into it, like developing speed, you can increase your speed only so much.

Originally posted by Giedi:
I think Banks, Burford, Moore, and Zakelj is a good start at developing that talent pool conveyor belt we both want on the OLine. Add in some talented undrafted free agents Poe and West, and some young veterans in McKivitz, Skule. Agree, it's not ideal, considering the missed opportunities like Joe Williams, Hurd, Pettis, Solomon that could have been used to bolster the OLine, but I like where ShanaLynch is trending. We're adding these guys to the established guys - Trent, Brunskill, and McGlinchy - who aren't exactly a terrible group if they are all healthy.

Brunskill is terrible at guard. He's being misused. And mcg is terrible at pass protection. They shouldn't be on the team come 2023
To me Durability more of a scouting and draft issue than a talent development issue. I think once you get a player (drafted or undrafted) into the 53, you'd expect them to be durable like a Laken Tomlinson. I think you either have durability, or you don't. I think you *can* develop durability to a limited extent (Frank Gore is an example) - but you have to put a lot of work into it, like developing speed, you can increase your speed only so much.

How did JJ Watt all the sudden lose his?
Originally posted by evil:

What did Kyle and John do the last 2 drafts wrt the OL:

2nd round pick
4th round pick
5th round pick
6th round pick

I still feel like they could have done more to Improve the OL Imo. Center Is still a question mark, RT position has been a weakness since 2020. And we still don't know who our best 5 O-Linemen are right now. If I had to take a guess, I think it'll look something like this.

LT. Trent
LG. Banks ( huge unknown )
C. Brendel ( another unknown )
RG. Moore ( unknown )
RT. Skinny Mike.

Potential Is there, but so are the concerns.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Brunskill is terrible at guard. He's being misused. And mcg is terrible at pass protection. They shouldn't be on the team come 2023

I'm not disagreeing, but that OLine did make it to the NFCCG, and didn't do a horrible job against one of the better defensive lines in that game either. Not a good job - I agree since we lost the game, for sure. Brunskill has been - meh to OK - every position he's played (Guard, Center, Tackle), but I think if he can stabilize and focus on one position, he just might get better. The center in Kyle's system needs to have more mental ability than physical ability, because the Center in his system does all the line calls (pass protections and run blocking) - Brunskill might just be good enough, with Trey's mobility, to make it a decent go this year at center. It's really too early to make final judgments, but we shall see.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

How did JJ Watt all the sudden lose his?

Age?
Share 49ersWebzone