Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 239 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by YACBros85:
You just love stirring the pot, don't you? Haha

So when McGlinchey came back where did he line up if Moore stayed out at T? Did I miss something?

Hey if Burford comes in and is so good that he beats Moore out that's not a bad thing at all.

Wirfs would've got hurt before the nfc title game anyway so all moot.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Of note, when McGlinchey came back, Moore stayed out at T and for the 4th day in a row, Burford took every first team snap at RG...who's a RT (w/ G experience). Too bad they didn't draft Wirfs. Might have won a Superbowl. Hehe.

Anyhow, this is pretty significant given Moore had a full redshirt year and was gearing up to start at RG...now he's out at T.

We'll find out Moore on Monday!

So when McGlinchey came back where did he line up if Moore stayed out at T? Did I miss something?

Hehe. That was just a little confirmation of my original stance. Fans were saying why take BPA in Wirfs when we already have McGlinchey. My stance was to take the talent esp. if it's at a need position too. If you can play RT in this system, you certainly can play G (height/strength might be an issue).

Imagine: Williams - Tomlinson - Mack - Wirfs - McGlinchey/Brunskill/Compton

Also, would the Bucs have won without him?

Of course a few pushed back on that and thought what we had was good enough. Now you're seeing T and G's very much interchanging here confirming my original stance. Plus I wanted him for additional insurance at RT because McGlinchey had all sorts of health issues (PRP injections, thin to compensate) then and his long term future was up in the air.

He's just used as an example more than anything on prioritization and scheme.

----------

McGlinchey doesn't do much 11x11 so most of those snaps would go to Moore at RT.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2022 at 9:59 AM ]
Of note, when McGlinchey came back, Moore stayed out at T and for the 4th day in a row, Burford took every first team snap at RG...who's a RT (w/ G experience). Too bad they didn't draft Wirfs. Might have won a Superbowl. Hehe.

Anyhow, this is pretty significant given Moore had a full redshirt year and was gearing up to start at RG...now he's out at T.

Hehe. That was just a little confirmation of my original stance. Fans were saying why take BPA in Wirfs when we already have McGlinchey. My stance was to take the talent esp. if it's at a need position too. If you can play RT in this system, you certainly can play G (height/strength might be an issue).

Of course a few pushed back on that and thought we what we had was good enough. Now you're seeing T and G's very much interchanging here confirming my original stance. Plus I wanted him for additional insurance at RT because McGlinchey had all sorts of health issues then and his long term future was up in the air.

----------

McGlinchey doesn't do much 11x11 so most of those snaps would go to Moore at RT.

Thanks for clarifying the McGlinchey/Moore situation. I think what you are seeing with the T's and G's interchanging is seeing who is the best outside PP. Your best pass protectors, not including center, you always want on the outside. I agree, Whirfs most definitely would have made this O line that much better.
So Wirfs would be able to play tackle and guard at an extremely high level but Ruiz can't play center and guard.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Hey if Burford comes in and is so good that he beats Moore out that's not a bad thing at all.

Wirfs would've got hurt before the nfc title game anyway so all moot.

Haha. Good one!

I agree. It's still way early but it's more of an indictment of Moore. I was looking forward to him battling and holding off Burford because I think Burford needs a year at RT to take over for McGlinchey. If you have three young players starting and you don't have to pay for McGlinchey, that opens up a crap ton of money to throw at whatever you need including OL if need be.

Of course a few pushed back on that and thought we what we had was good enough. Now you're seeing T and G's very much interchanging here confirming my original stance. Plus I wanted him for additional insurance at RT because McGlinchey had all sorts of health issues then and his long term future was up in the air.

----------

Thanks for clarifying the McGlinchey/Moore situation. I think what you are seeing with the T's and G's interchanging is seeing who is the best outside PP. Your best pass protectors, not including center, you always want on the outside. I agree, Whirfs most definitely would have made this O line that much better.

Definitely. It's WAY early too. Eventually I think we'll start seeing these guys settle in at one position. Now is the time to cross train and try different combinations esp. when guys like McGlinchey are slowly working back in.
So Wirfs would be able to play tackle and guard at an extremely high level but Ruiz can't play center and guard.

I am not sure I am following. I would see the line like this, if we had drafted Whirfs.

Williams - Banks - Brunskill/Brendel - McGlinchey - Whirfs

With that line we would be able to play bully ball with the run up the middle. Pass pro would hella solid on the outside.
Haha. Good one!

I agree. It's still way early but it's more of an indictment of Moore. I was looking forward to him battling and holding off Burford because I think Burford needs a year at RT to take over for McGlinchey. If you have three young players starting and you don't have to pay for McGlinchey, that opens up a crap ton of money to throw at whatever you need including OL if need be.

Unless McGlinchey plays to some pro bowl level there is no reason to resign him to a big money deal. Either get a cheaper option in FA (Andre Dillard) or draft someone in rd 2. Early analysis looks like a solid OT class with good depth.
I am not sure I am following. I would see the line like this, if we had drafted Whirfs.

With that line we would be able to play bully ball with the run up the middle. Pass pro would hella solid on the outside.

McGlinchey looked terrible at guard when he played it against Minnesota.

Depends on the player, their experience, their skill sets, team needs, systems, etc.

Yes, Ruiz had to learn a brand new position at the pro level.

The movements and techniques here in OZ are in unison between G And T so it's a bit more seemless.

Haha. Good one!

Unless McGlinchey plays to some pro bowl level there is no reason to resign him to a big money deal. Either get a cheaper option in FA (Andre Dillard) or draft someone in rd 2. Early analysis looks like a solid OT class with good depth.

That is some great news. If I was the FO, I would draft both a OT and a C early in this coming draft.
Depends on the player, their experience, their skill sets, team needs, systems, etc.

Yes, Ruiz had to learn a brand new position at the pro level.

The movements and techniques here in OZ are in unison between G And T so it's a bit more seemless.

Ruiz played guard in college. Brand new my ass. Wirfs would be the one learning the new position as I don't believe he ever played guard.
Haha. Good one!

That is some great news. If I was the FO, I would draft both a OT and a C early in this coming draft.

Talent on those two would put us over the top. Exciting to think about! Can still happen now too.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2022 at 10:11 AM ]

Better way to go is get Erik McCoy. I see them signing a center. Why it's so important to jettison Jimmys contract so we have the roll over cap to play with.

McGlinchey looked terrible at guard when he played it against Minnesota.

I am sorry. When did he play MIN at G?
Share 49ersWebzone