Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 242 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I am sorry. When did he play MIN at G?

2018 I believe. Injuries happened and he shifted down. Wasn't pretty.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
That is some great news. If I was the FO, I would draft both a OT and a C early in this coming draft.

Better way to go is get Erik McCoy. I see them signing a center. Why it's so important to jettison Jimmys contract so we have the roll over cap to play with.

I am okay with going after a C in FA. Just don't over spend on a guy like Erik McCoy and I would be fine with signing him. I would still draft a guy early who we can develop though.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Depends on the player, their experience, their skill sets, team needs, systems, etc.

Yes, Ruiz had to learn a brand new position at the pro level.

The movements and techniques here in OZ are in unison between G And T so it's a bit more seemless.

Ruiz played guard in college. Brand new my ass. Wirfs would be the one learning the new position as I don't believe he ever played guard.

Uh huh. He only started 5 games early at G out of necessity. He was and is a pure C. IMHO of course.

And again, you didn't read what I wrote about scheme here.

five times at right guard

2018 I believe. Injuries happened and he shifted down. Wasn't pretty.

They have him listed at RT for that game. Maybe they did move him inside sometime during the game. However, that was his first ever NFL regular season game.
I am not sure I am following. I would see the line like this, if we had drafted Whirfs.

Williams - Banks - Brunskill/Brendel - McGlinchey - Whirfs

With that line we would be able to play bully ball with the run up the middle. Pass pro would hella solid on the outside.

McGlinchey looked terrible at guard when he played it against Minnesota.

Right? He played a few snaps out of emergency in-game d/t injuries. I wouldn't want HIM playing G at this point of his career with his height but Wirfs coming right out of college in this system with a full off season to learn? Hell yeah.

But whatever, he was one against it and he's just trying to pivot elsewhere to get you off that point.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2022 at 10:23 AM ]
I am not sure I am following. I would see the line like this, if we had drafted Whirfs.

With that line we would be able to play bully ball with the run up the middle. Pass pro would hella solid on the outside.

Right? He played a few snaps out of emergency in-game d/t injuries. I wouldn't want HIM playing G at this point of his career with his height but Wirfs coming right out of college in this system with a full off season to learn? Hell yeah.

But whatever, he was one against it and he's just trying to pivot elsewhere to get you off that point.

Its all good. We didn't draft Whirfs so it's a moot point I was making anyway.
Uh huh. He only started 5 games early at G out of necessity. He was and is a pure C. IMHO of course.

So McGlinchey is just terrible then since he couldn't do it?

You really want to argue it's easier to go from tackle to guard in the 9ers scheme then center to guard in the Saints scheme? Especially for a guy who to my knowledge has never played guard as opposed to a guy who has experience playing it.

We got both Aiyuk and Kinlaw on rookie contracts in exchange for the slot Wirfs went at. He fitted in great @ TB with a QB like Tom Brady but chances are, we dont have the kind of run Tommy had with a lesser QB like Jimmy being the one to benefit.

If things work out in our favor with both of those guys healthy, that's a solid 2-for-1 that many here would still take.

Its all good. We didn't draft Whirfs so it's a moot point I was making anyway.

Totally. It tends to trigger some so I'll try to stay away from it. I could use a number of other example too.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2022 at 10:28 AM ]

So McGlinchey is just terrible then since he couldn't do it?

You really want to argue it's easier to go from tackle to guard in the 9ers scheme then center to guard in the Saints scheme? Especially for a guy who to my knowledge has never played guard as opposed to a guy who has experience playing it.

Yes and he single-handedly cost us a Superbowl that year as well.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2022 at 10:30 AM ]

Originally posted by random49er:

We got both Aiyuk and Kinlaw on rookie contracts in exchange for the slot Wirfs went at. He fitted in great @ TB with a QB like Tom Brady but chances are, we dont have the kind of run Tommy had with a lesser QB like Jimmy being the one to benefit.

If things work out in our favor with both of those guys healthy, that's a solid 2-for-1 that many here would still take.

You bring up a great point. I am not sure I would trade Aiyuk for Whirfs, especially now havingTrey and his ability to throw the ball outside the numbers.
Yes and he single-handedly cost us a Superbowl that year as well.

We talking this year,....or......??

Says the guy making excuses for a player who can't make the easiest transition in football. But a guy who's never played the position would obviously be elite at it because the scheme makes it easy.

All we know is Wirfs is a great tackle. Could he have been a great guard? Perhaps. Burford has actual experience playing guard so it's an easier transition. So it's really a moot comparison actually. But NC just wants constant validation about Wirfs so he keeps bringing it up. As if anyone was actually against drafting the guy.
You bring up a great point. I am not sure I would trade Aiyuk for Whirfs, especially now havingTrey and his ability to throw the ball outside the numbers.

Well now you are on the blacklist
Aiyuk AND Kinlaw for Wirfs, though? With a QB that can actually throw and a healthy DT,....I'm salivating @ the thought of it.

All teams have skipped over plenty of talent in the draft for other potential talent, btw. That's why it's the draft. No point in dwelling on it like it isin't a regular thing. Your time is on the clock and you make your choice.

The only question is do you make more than you miss? Dwelling on one single non-QB player like he meant everything in the world is just not understanding how the draft works.
[ Edited by random49er on Jul 31, 2022 at 10:43 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone