Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 221 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Right? He played a few snaps out of emergency in-game d/t injuries. I wouldn't want HIM playing G at this point of his career with his height but Wirfs coming right out of college in this system with a full off season to learn? Hell yeah.

But whatever, he was one against it and he's just trying to pivot elsewhere to get you off that point.

Says the guy making excuses for a player who can't make the easiest transition in football. But a guy who's never played the position would obviously be elite at it because the scheme makes it easy.

All we know is Wirfs is a great tackle. Could he have been a great guard? Perhaps. Burford has actual experience playing guard so it's an easier transition. So it's really a moot comparison actually. But NC just wants constant validation about Wirfs so he keeps bringing it up. As if anyone was actually against drafting the guy.

LOL. OK.

Not really the point at all. No need to get triggered again on this. We already have the results/evidence.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
You bring up a great point. I am not sure I would trade Aiyuk for Whirfs, especially now havingTrey and his ability to throw the ball outside the numbers.

Well now you are on the blacklist

On NC's blacklist? I doubt it.
Originally posted by random49er:
We got both Aiyuk and Kinlaw on rookie contracts in exchange for the slot Wirfs went at. He fitted in great @ TB with a QB like Tom Brady but chances are, we dont have the kind of run Tommy had with a lesser QB like Jimmy being the one to benefit.

If things work out in our favor with both of those guys healthy, that's a solid 2-for-1 that many here would still take.

Which was also part of the argument that he leaves out. No one was against the guy. It was the value of the positions mixed with the ability to trade for Aiyuk that we likely wouldn't have had.
LOL. OK.

Not really the point at all. No need to get triggered again on this. We already have the results/evidence.

We do. The guy you really wanted that year has been terrible.
You bring up a great point. I am not sure I would trade Aiyuk for Whirfs, especially now havingTrey and his ability to throw the ball outside the numbers.

Hey hey now. That domain is reserved for those that make excellent counters.
[ Edited by random49er on Jul 31, 2022 at 10:47 AM ]
LOL. OK.

We do. The guy you really wanted that year has been terrible.

Was that Becton, Wills Jr., or Andrew Thomas?
[ Edited by random49er on Jul 31, 2022 at 10:50 AM ]
Was that Becton, Willis Jr., or Andrew Thomas?

Cesar Ruiz. Can't make that insanely difficult transition from center to guard. Can't beat out Erik McCoy either though.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jul 31, 2022 at 10:50 AM ]

That's only for those that make excellent counters.

Ah. I see. You would prefer Whirfs over Aiyuk+Kinlaw?

I respect his opinion as well as yours, if that is the case? No argument from me.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Jul 31, 2022 at 10:49 AM ]

I respect his opinion as well as yours, if that is the case? No argument from me.

He would. If that'd where it stopped that's be fine.

But instead the spin is we were against drafting Wirfs when it's really the combination of talents of the other two was better to me and others.

Also not sure what Wirfs could do at guard. Legitimately. Never played it. He might be great at it. I do know Burford has played it so I have more confidence.

I think Moore is a guard but the transition to that new position can take time. Apparently it is. Not quite as seamless in this scheme.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jul 31, 2022 at 10:57 AM ]
Yes and he single-handedly cost us a Superbowl that year as well.

Is this code for everyone is equally to blame again? I know I interpret single handily as being solely responsible.

That's only for those that make excellent counters.

Yea I mean if we go back through the threads, my pick at our spot was Wirfs. But Aiyuk looks pretty damn dangerous with the right QB and we didnt plan on Kinlaw's injury issues.

As of now, both players can still be high-level players. And the more high level players you can get on rookie contracts on your team, the more you are manipulating the cap heavily in your favor. So alot remains to be seen.
[ Edited by random49er on Jul 31, 2022 at 11:05 AM ]

But instead the spin is we were against drafting Wirfs when it's really the combination of talents of the other two was better to me and others.

Also not sure what Wirfs could do at guard. Legitimately. Never played it. He might be great at it. I do know Burford has played it so I have more confidence.

I think Moore is a guard but the transition to that new position can take time. Apparently it is. Not quite as seamless in this scheme.

O lineman, especially IOL, need to be able to make impact blocks out in space in this system with the way that we run the ball. That is something I had an issue with when it came to Mack last season. Besides, the best PP are always going to play T as opposed to G. So if an O lineman is going to play G in this system, they better be good athletes who can run block at the second level.

The example of Wirfs was to show the interchangeable positions we're seeing today as that was an argument back then. We're clearly seeing that confirmed now.

As to Ruiz and what the FO would've, could've and should've done and BPA vs. trade-back philosophy, that can be debated all day. Sometimes there's more than one right and wrong answer.
Yes and he single-handedly cost us a Superbowl that year as well.

Is this code for everyone is equally to blame again? I know I interpret single handily as being solely responsible.

I'm glad you got the sarcasm.
The example of Wirfs was to show the interchangeable positions we're seeing today as that was an argument back then. We're clearly seeing that confirmed now.

As to Ruiz and what the FO would've, could've and should've done and BPA vs. trade-back philosophy, that can be debated all day. Sometimes there's more than one right and wrong answer.

Seeing it confirmed by a guy has played 4 positions in college sure.
Share 49ersWebzone