Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 223 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by NCommand:
The example of Wirfs was to show the interchangeable positions we're seeing today as that was an argument back then. We're clearly seeing that confirmed now.

As to Ruiz and what the FO would've, could've and should've done and BPA vs. trade-back philosophy, that can be debated all day. Sometimes there's more than one right and wrong answer.

Seeing it confirmed by a guy has played 4 positions in college sure.

You're seeing a dozen examples now. Can you name all the T's who also play G here too?
Cesar Ruiz. Can't make that insanely difficult transition from center to guard. Can't beat out Erik McCoy either though.

Oh yea! He was a big Ruiz guy,....it's all coming back to me now. Late last season....

I thought we were the only team that ever has injury problems?? Besides the point tho....

So does he just pretend like Ruiz doesn't exist, or will he acknowledge that he wanted Ruiz over a pick like Aiyuk?

Or does anybody here favor Ruiz over Aiyuk still and aren't afraid to admit such?
[ Edited by random49er on Jul 31, 2022 at 11:15 AM ]
You're seeing a dozen examples now. Can you name all the T's who also play G here too?

Dozen examples of players starting week 1 at a position they've never played?

Guys transition positions sure but it takes time and isn't "seamless" in any scheme.
We do. The guy you really wanted that year has been terrible.

Facts
Remember when Ruiz got Brees killed 2 weeks in a row then IR"d? Good times
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I do. We as 49er fans didn't want Ruiz as a RG for the Saints.

We wanted him here as a C.

Who knows where we'd/he'd be today.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2022 at 11:47 AM ]

Dozen examples of players starting week 1 at a position they've never played?

Guys transition positions sure but it takes time and isn't "seamless" in any scheme.

You don't think one of the very best RT's in football with zero off season couldn't have become a better RG than Fusco, Person, Brunskill or Compton? To start while being cross trained at RT?

"Good enough."
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2022 at 11:53 AM ]
I do. We as 49er fans didn't want Ruiz as a RG for the Saints.

We wanted him here as a C.

Who knows where we'd/he'd be today.

Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
You bring up a great point. I am not sure I would trade Aiyuk for Whirfs, especially now havingTrey and his ability to throw the ball outside the numbers.

Well now you are on the blacklist

On NC's blacklist? I doubt it.

LMAO. No chance.
Which was also part of the argument that he leaves out. No one was against the guy. It was the value of the positions mixed with the ability to trade for Aiyuk that we likely wouldn't have had.

That was not the intent of the example. You pivoted to Ruiz and everything else under the sun even after I explained the reference to YAC.

But if you'd like to go over that scenario, meet me in the John Lynch thread.

You don't think one of the very best RT's in football with zero off season couldn't have become a better RG than Fusco, Person, Brunskill or Compton? To start while being cross trained at RT?

"Good enough."

I see. So the player that I wanted after the fact that is great would easily be a great guard if given the chance. The terrible player I wanted before the fact well who knows what he'd be at center.

Put it this way. There's a better chance Ruiz would be terrible at center for the 9ers then Wirfs being great at guard. That's what I think. Being terrible at positions is more universal then being great.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Jul 31, 2022 at 1:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Ruiz can't block the dictionary definition of a dime a dozen player.

Must be that overly complex Saints blocking scheme.

"Good enough."

I see. So the player that I wanted after the fact that is great would easily be a great guard if given the chance. The terrible player I wanted before the fact well who knows what he'd be at center.

Put it this way. There's a better chance Ruiz would be terrible at center for the 9ers then Wirfs being great at guard. That's what I think. Being terrible at positions is more universal then being great.

Still not getting it, I see.

Not sure why you're obsessing over Ruiz. I think I had him in one mock drafts 15 years ago (maybe). You probably didn't get it back then either.

Is the talent of Wirfs at G an upgrade (and insurance for RT) over what we ended up rolling with through the NFCCG?

Is the talent of Ruiz at C an upgrade (and insurance for Richburg) over what we ended up with in the Superbowl run?

Do you know why everyone is freaking out about Brunskill and Brendel at C? Because we had no young talent learning behind Mack gearing up to take over if/when an injury or retirement happened.

You are aware C and RG was a big reason for both losses right (and probably disallowed Brunskill to stay at his natural RT position)?

So those two were talked about as viable options back then.

Hopefully you'll understand this because I'm done with the topic. Moving on before you start talking about more players from other teams.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2022 at 2:55 PM ]
Still not getting it, I see.

Is the talent of Wirfs at G an upgrade (and insurance for RT) over what we ended up rolling with through the NFCCG?

Kinda hard for Kinlaw to be an upgrade while on IR. Aiyuk is the man Kyle ultimately wanted and looks the part. A good 2 for 1 overall.
per Pff

Alex Mack 70.4 2021

Daniel Brunskill 61.4 2021

Ben Garland 59.1 2019

Mike Person 61.8 2019

Cesar Ruiz 57.6 2021

To answer your direct question on Ruiz absolutely not

Wirfs? Perhaps. Again don't know how well he can play guard. He could be like McGlinchey. Again elite play is harder to transfer between positions than terrible play.

To act like the actual player being drafted doesn't matter and it's just about their "talent" on paper is absolutely asinine. See our big FA signing as exhibit A of that.
Share 49ersWebzone