Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 220 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dlance:
I Like Drake Jackson I think he is going to be a great player. My point is not Drake vs Fortner. It's that they do not prioritize the O line the same way they do DL or WR or RB. I think they need to prioritize it more in the draft and building better depth, better then Colton McKvitz and Justin Skule. They need to start think of drafting Trent William and Mike McGlinchey replacement now not after they is gone or hurt. I understand That some UDF and late round pick turn into great player, most are not. For every Tom Brady there are about 100 Gardner Minshew or Josh Johnson in the league . I think all 3 are 6th round QB

So would you have preferred Fortner? You can't separate out the player from the pick.

Falcons have prioritized the O line with 2 1sts 1 2nd and 1 3rd in recent years. Hennessey has been solid and Chris Lindstrom is good. There other 2 high picks have struggled mightily. While one might argue they have prioritized it more there O line was significantly weaker then ours in 2021. So it's never just that simple. Same goes for the Saints with their awful pair of 1st round guards.

It's possible they have drafted McGlincheys replacement in Moore or Burford. Or it could be they will target one next year. Or perhaps they attack it in FA since next year they will actually have some money to play with. All things to look at.
Originally posted by NCommand:
He ain't a 3T. That's for sure. That's AA's job. There's only 1 other position inside. 1T (e.g. NT in a W9).

Deebo news roped me back to the WZ.

Kenny Clark is still more valuable then the best guards in the league.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Like reaching for an injured 3T who doesn't pass rush? Agreed. He's a nose tackle now. And you were against a G that high? Haha.

Wasn't a reach at all. Was exactly the range he was pegged to go. He was drafted for upside for sure. I don't know what he is right now because he hasn't played enough to know the ceiling.

Thought you were done with this topic?

It was a reach drafting Kinlaw . He was Injured and flag at the combine. They reached because he was a DT that had potential and they like that. They convicted themselves his knee was not that bad because he was a DT and they liked him. It was probably a reach draft Tyrion Davis-Price. He could have probably drafted later but they wanted a RB . That is my point they reach for WR and RB and DT.
[ Edited by dlance on Jul 31, 2022 at 10:00 PM ]
I Like Drake Jackson I think he is going to be a great player. My point is not Drake vs Fortner. It's that they do not prioritize the O line the same way they do DL or WR or RB. I think they need to prioritize it more in the draft and building better depth, better then Colton McKvitz and Justin Skule. They need to start think of drafting Trent William and Mike McGlinchey replacement now not after they is gone or hurt. I understand That some UDF and late round pick turn into great player, most are not. For every Tom Brady there are about 100 Gardner Minshew or Josh Johnson in the league . I think all 3 are 6th round QB

So would you have preferred Fortner? You can't separate out the player from the pick.

Falcons have prioritized the O line with 2 1sts 1 2nd and 1 3rd in recent years. Hennessey has been solid and Chris Lindstrom is good. There other 2 high picks have struggled mightily. While one might argue they have prioritized it more there O line was significantly weaker then ours in 2021. So it's never just that simple. Same goes for the Saints with their awful pair of 1st round guards.

It's possible they have drafted McGlincheys replacement in Moore or Burford. Or it could be they will target one next year. Or perhaps they attack it in FA since next year they will actually have some money to play with. All things to look at.

No I would not have drafted Fortner over Jackson . Only fit I like at center was Cam Jurgens and he went before Jackson. However I would have never draft Kinlaw at 14. I would have trade down from 14 to 24 draft Aiyuk and used extra pick on OL and DB.
It was a reach drafting Kinlaw . He was Injured and flag at the combine. They reached because he was a DT the had potential and they like that. They convicted themselves his knee was not that bad because he was a DT and they liked him. It was probably a reach draft Tyrion Davis-Price. He could have probably drafted later but they wanted a RB . That is my point they reach for WR and RB and DT.

RB they tend to reach for I will agree there. Not fond of Kyle rb drafting at all.

Kinlaw wasn't a reach though. He tore up his knee in Dallas, I don't believe it had anything to do with the flagged issues from combine. Separate injury. Let's see what he can do now that he's healthy.

If we really want to get into what we should've done the right picks were Justin Jefferson and Travon Diggs.
I like that Shanahan and Foerster are apparently giving Burford a shot to take RG and run with it. I hope he has the power to hang with it and grab it by the throat.
No I would not have drafted Fortner over Jackson . Only fit I like at center was Cam Jurgens and he went before Jackson. However I would have never draft Kinlaw at 14. I would have trade down from 14 to 24 draft Aiyuk and used extra pick on OL and DB.

Was New Orleans offering? Hadnt heard that.

Was New Orleans offering? Hadnt heard that.

I don't know who offered what however John Lynch came out to the podium after draft Kinlaw and said they had offers for the pick but they like Kinlaw to much to pass on him.
I agree it is possible they have drafted McGlincheys replacement in Moore or Burford ? I do not think Burford will be anywhere near ready this year and may take 2 year to get there.
[ Edited by dlance on Jul 31, 2022 at 10:13 PM ]
He ain't a 3T. That's for sure. That's AA's job. There's only 1 other position inside. 1T (e.g. NT in a W9).

Deebo news roped me back to the WZ.

Kenny Clark is still more valuable then the best guards in the league.

What if it was Wirfs on our team? What value would you give that? Now you're getting into league wide position value. Moved from T to G to 3T to 1T. LOL

At the end of the day its all about adding talent to a unit.

One thing you should probably research is the number of DL cut for cap reasons over the past 5 years. There's a reason these guys are available and a 10a12 now.

It's a passing league.

Kenny Clark got less money and years then Laken Tomlinson.
4 years 70 million with 34 guaranteed is less than 3 years 40 million with 27 guaranteed?

Yah don't think I'm the one in need of doing research.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I like that Shanahan and Foerster are apparently giving Burford a shot to take RG and run with it. I hope he has the power to hang with it and grab it by the throat.

Agree 💯%, I think him, and Banks will make a good guard duo. I like the possibilities of being both a gap/power and zone run team.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Why have the 9ers not used draft picks on reserve linebackers like the DL? No 1sts and 2nds to push Greenlaw or Al Shaiir. No starting level depth if they are hurt. Blind spot?

1. They have an excellent eye for talent there.
2. They had Holland/Ryans to develop and coach them up over years.
3. You only need 2 starters.
4. Strategy can easily be modified to work around an injury.

As a result, they are 5 deep and probably the best LB unit in the NFL.

Honestly, if Kyle's strategy on the OL worked (3rd rounder + UDFA's and no misses on draft picks) like LB, this thread would be totally dead. They failed miserably on Kwon Alexander and Reuben Foster though. That thread was hot for a long time as a result like in here now. Once they finally fixed it, it went silent.

Can't wait for that day in here!

Good point about Demeco, never really thought about it before from that angle. I'm going to be on pins and needles when we lose Demeco next year. But I will look forward to the extra 3rd rounders we get as compensation for losing him, for sure. Linebacker corps will probably stay very strong if Vic Fangio replaces Demeco though.

And Holland is back and huge for this unit. I can't remember which pod i heard this on but Azeez would ride his bike to Holland's house to hang out and learn some more. They are very tight. Don't be surprised if he is elevated over Greenlaw or is kept over him if they are forced to choose.

On the flip side, I hope no OL are riding their bikes and hanging out at Foerster's home.

This is a solid, or so it seems, offensive coaching staff. Foerster is the only one remaining from the last regime. There is potential for some greatness here. I don't know when or if Bobby Turner comes back. I'm betting he's not coming back. He's 73 and undergoing some serious surgery - a 73 year old guy's immune system isn't the same as when he was 25. I'm just hoping and praying he'll be fine *and does come back.*

On paper the rest of the offensive coaching staff looks pretty good. Anthony Lynn, I think, has changed Kyle's run philosophy a bit, or maybe Kyle wanted those run philosophy stuff changed hence Anthony Lynn.

One other reason I want raw but talented rookies to be thrown into a starting role offensive line role is to see if Foerster's got a bit of Kocurek in him, in that he can spot talent and develop the talent. Just like a raw but talented player, you got to play him to see if he can play, I want to see if Foerster can spot, coach and develop players the way Demeco does and the way Kocurek does, with the young 'uns.

That's the key right there! We know for a fact, Kocurek and Holland/Ryan give feedback on players they like and sometimes even pound the table for them (Kinlaw). It would be cool to know if Foerster and Lynn added similar input for the OL picks this year although Burford and Zjakel seemed to be on Peters radar for years.

I can't wait to find out what this new group can offer. If they can just stalemate against this DL, it would be incredibly encouraging.

I think a good position coach is always - somehow - communicating with the scouts. I know Mike and Kyle are looking at QB's that are in high school right now with their QB Collective coaching organization. So I would think guys like Cregg and Graves have something, probably more informal, since they don't make the big bucks the way the Shanahan's do. Walsh spotted Jerry on a Saturday watching college football on TV. That's one way of scouting players.

Raw Talent plus good coaching should equal a great player. Foerster, I think is a good coach. Otherwise Kyle would not have hired him. The question I have is whether or not he's a great coach like Kocureck and Demeco.

We're about to find out. They have done a terrific job of getting the most out of emergency spot starters.

I"m hoping that translates to getting 2nd rounders and 3rd rounders and having them play like 1st rounders.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Of note, when McGlinchey came back, Moore stayed out at T and for the 4th day in a row, Burford took every first team snap at RG...who's a RT (w/ G experience). Too bad they didn't draft Wirfs. Might have won a Superbowl. Hehe.

Anyhow, this is pretty significant given Moore had a full redshirt year and was gearing up to start at RG...now he's out at T.

We'll find out Moore on Monday!

Nice Note. Although I think they are taking McGlinchey slowly to become acclimated to contact after such a serious injury. Then again, I'm also wondering if he's lost some athleticism because of his injury. Hard not to imagine losing some pop after a quad tear.

I do like the competition at Right Tackle though - that really will make both players better.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Of note, when McGlinchey came back, Moore stayed out at T and for the 4th day in a row, Burford took every first team snap at RG...who's a RT (w/ G experience). Too bad they didn't draft Wirfs. Might have won a Superbowl. Hehe.

Anyhow, this is pretty significant given Moore had a full redshirt year and was gearing up to start at RG...now he's out at T.

We'll find out Moore on Monday!

You just love stirring the pot, don't you? Haha

So when McGlinchey came back where did he line up if Moore stayed out at T? Did I miss something?

Hehe. That was just a little confirmation of my original stance. Fans were saying why take BPA in Wirfs when we already have McGlinchey. My stance was to take the talent esp. if it's at a need position too. If you can play RT in this system, you certainly can play G (height/strength might be an issue).

Imagine: Williams - Tomlinson - Mack - Wirfs - McGlinchey/Brunskill/Compton

Also, would the Bucs have won without him?

Of course a few pushed back on that and thought what we had was good enough. Now you're seeing T and G's very much interchanging here confirming my original stance. Plus I wanted him for additional insurance at RT because McGlinchey had all sorts of health issues (PRP injections, thin to compensate) then and his long term future was up in the air.

He's just used as an example more than anything on prioritization and scheme.

----------

McGlinchey doesn't do much 11x11 so most of those snaps would go to Moore at RT.

Jaylon Moore, the all important 5th round selection!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
It was a reach drafting Kinlaw . He was Injured and flag at the combine. They reached because he was a DT the had potential and they like that. They convicted themselves his knee was not that bad because he was a DT and they liked him. It was probably a reach draft Tyrion Davis-Price. He could have probably drafted later but they wanted a RB . That is my point they reach for WR and RB and DT.

RB they tend to reach for I will agree there. Not fond of Kyle rb drafting at all.

Kinlaw wasn't a reach though. He tore up his knee in Dallas, I don't believe it had anything to do with the flagged issues from combine. Separate injury. Let's see what he can do now that he's healthy.

If we really want to get into what we should've done the right picks were Justin Jefferson and Travon Diggs.

Outside of the Joe Williams pick, I haven't really seen ShanaLynch reach. Brieda and Mostert were UDFA's and Mitchell a 6th round pick. So they tend to pick late and get undervalued gems. I'm still hoping Trey Sermon bounces back from a rough rookie year. Hope hope.
Share 49ersWebzone