LISTEN: The Best Of The 49ers Webzone: No Huddle Podcast →

There are 127 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Great Barrows story just posted in The Athletic on how Trent took Burford and Poe under his wing this summer.

i initially heard he invited all rookies, but it reads more like Trent invited only Poe and Burford to Houston after scouting them in mini-camp.

Game recognizes game
Trent invited all the OL
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Looks like Rohan saw a lot of the same things GC and others noted today:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/159617-49ers-day-training-camp-1-on-1s-recap/

No he didn't. Cohn said Jackson won his 1on1's, every other guy there said he didn't , but did well in 11 on 11

No actually Cohn said Jackson won almost all of his 1-1 reps but against no starters. Rohan only said Jackson "didn't consistently win", but everyone said Jackson was great during the scrimmage/ 11-11 portion of practice.

Yeah, I hope Hoov wasn't expecting perfect alignment on these reports either. It was a rough contradictory day on reporting. Between pods, live tweets and breakdowns, it was a struggle to find some alignment on anything.

I'm not expecting perfect alignment. My point is there's always one guy who's camp reports are wildly inconsistent compared to every other guy out there. That said yesterdays reports were a bit all over lol
thats why NC and GM should keep thier excitement down on reports of OL getting beat
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Great Barrows story just posted in The Athletic on how Trent took Burford and Poe under his wing this summer.

i initially heard he invited all rookies, but it reads more like Trent invited only Poe and Burford to Houston after scouting them in mini-camp.

Game recognizes game
Trent invited all the OL

That's what I thought… until I read the Barrows piece.
Looks like Rohan saw a lot of the same things GC and others noted today:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/159617-49ers-day-training-camp-1-on-1s-recap/

No he didn't. Cohn said Jackson won his 1on1's, every other guy there said he didn't , but did well in 11 on 11

No actually Cohn said Jackson won almost all of his 1-1 reps but against no starters. Rohan only said Jackson "didn't consistently win", but everyone said Jackson was great during the scrimmage/ 11-11 portion of practice.

Yeah, I hope Hoov wasn't expecting perfect alignment on these reports either. It was a rough contradictory day on reporting. Between pods, live tweets and breakdowns, it was a struggle to find some alignment on anything.

I'm not expecting perfect alignment. My point is there's always one guy who's camp reports are wildly inconsistent compared to every other guy out there. That said yesterdays reports were a bit all over lol

Haha for sure. GC certainly has his agendas, hate and his favorites he's over the top on.

Game recognizes game
Trent invited all the OL

got it, but i will take Trent's word as Trent said it himself on NFLN yesterday
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 3, 2022 at 8:44 AM ]
thats why NC and GM should keep thier excitement down on reports of OL getting beat

"Excitement?" Odd choice of word. LOL
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by TD49ers:
So far, it's looking like this:

LT: Trent Williams; Colton McKivitz & Sam Schlueter
LG: Aaron Banks; Jason Poe & Nick Zakelj
C: Daniel Brunskill; Jake Brendel, Keaton Sutherland & Dohnovan West
RG: Spencer Burford
RT: Mike McGlinchey; Jaylon Moore, Justin Skule & Alfredo Gutierrez

Just based on the pods, tweets and reports so far:
Skule > McKivitz for a swing-T role (good 1v1 reps)
Moore should remain competing at RG as he struggles at T (many reps here d/t MM being out for 11v11)
Poe > Zakelj for backup G (no C snaps)
Brunskill > Brendel but concerns on snaps/timing
Burford has locked down RG
McKivitz, Schlueter, Zakelj, Sutherland, West and Gutierrez are on the outside looking in

Please correct me if you've heard other reports.

Not a warm fuzzy.

If our annual pattern holds, two of these starters are going to go down too for some games so pay close attention to the backups too.

Agree, and two of the pre-season games are on astro-turf.🤬 💀

Uh oh.

Game recognizes game
Trent invited all the OL

got, but i will take Trent's word as Trent said it himself on NFLN yesterday

10-4

i could feel that excitement through my screen

despicable.. ugh !

lol
Originally posted by lamontb:
Problem here is most Tc reports are just homer fluff pieces and it's hard for me to take much stock into them. We don't ever really get the full picture of what's happening. . Once live action starts we will see. Pre season should show who can block

No doubt. I think there are quite a few at these practices doing their best just to capture the basics but when it comes to evaluating the OL, I would imagine none of them really know what they're looking at too deeply. For instance, an OL could "lose" a rep in 1v1 (DL gets to keep going through the end of the rep no matter how long) but actually "win" it based on a countering move in-play he learned from Foerster/Lynn. We see the DL won in the end after 3s but Foerster might be high-fiving that OL in the film room.

i could feel that excitement through my screen

despicable.. ugh !

lol

It's your created world. We're all just living in it. LOL
Originally posted by lamontb:
Problem here is most Tc reports are just homer fluff pieces and it's hard for me to take much stock into them. We don't ever really get the full picture of what's happening. . Once live action starts we will see. Pre season should show who can block

No doubt. I think there are quite a few at these practices doing their best just to capture the basics but when it comes to evaluating the OL, I would imagine none of them really know what they're looking at too deeply. For instance, an OL could "lose" a rep in 1v1 (DL gets to keep going through the end of the rep no matter how long) but actually "win" it based on a countering move in-play he learned from Foerster/Lynn. We see the DL won in the end after 3s but Foerster might be high-fiving that OL in the film room.

We also do have to consider the relative talent of our defensive line. That is a very damn good unit with some elite players, a few of which have been together a while. They are going to be ahead of the O-line, maybe even miles ahead, that doesn't mean things wont turn out pretty good. I dont think this line is going to be great by any means but above average is attainable. It is really encouraging that Burford and Banks have taken over pretty cleanly at their positions, it is troubling that Brunkskill is in at center given what we have seen in the past and are hearing prior to yesterday. Still he did seem to have a good practice yesterday so maybe it will click. Real preseason action will tell us a lot.
  • dj43
I think there are quite a few at these practices doing their best just to capture the basics but when it comes to evaluating the OL, I would imagine none of them really know what they're looking at too deeply. For instance, an OL could "lose" a rep in 1v1 (DL gets to keep going through the end of the rep no matter how long) but actually "win" it based on a countering move in-play he learned from Foerster/Lynn. We see the DL won in the end after 3s but Foerster might be high-fiving that OL in the film room.

Good points.

The biggest problem with evaluating the OL at this very early point of the season is that we don't know what they are working on. Unlike the defense and offensive skill players where we can see the results clearly, the OL has much more they have to put together.

I said it yesterday and I'll say it again today, and probably a few times more in the coming days; the OL is the last piece of the team to come together. That is especially true this season where 4 of the 5 presumed starters are new (McGlinchey still coming back). SO MUCH of OL's success is due not to overwhelming athletic ability but the development of understanding and chemistry between them.

At this point, the OL coaching staff is likely still figuring out who are the best pieces in which to invest time to build the line. As we follow the drama (trauma?) at Center, it is likely the staff is looking at who performs best in certain situations as opposed to looking at who appears to be the best athlete, which is what most fans and reporters as seeing.

I'm not particularly worried at this point. I'll save my handwringing until after the Viking scrimmages. That is when we will see things more clearly. Until then...
Can we please stop saying that Brunskill and Brendel are "practicing against the league's best defensive line" - no they absolutely are not. This line is missing Armstead, Hurst, and Kinlaw is on a pitch count with a slew of back-up like Hyder and Barrett playing inside because we're suddenly thin there. They might be practicing against the better depth at DL in the league. The tackles might be playing against elite talent but not the IOL. I've read this in a few camp reports and although it's catchy to say, it doesn't reflect what's actually happening on the field.
the DL has been also running stunts with Bosa going up the middle.. i guess Bosa sucks now
Can we please stop saying that Brunskill and Brendel are "practicing against the league's best defensive line" - no they absolutely are not. This line is missing Armstead, Hurst, and Kinlaw is on a pitch count with a slew of back-up like Hyder and Barrett playing inside because we're suddenly thin there. They might be practicing against the better depth at DL in the league. The tackles might be playing against elite talent but not the IOL. I've read this in a few camp reports and although it's catchy to say, it doesn't reflect what's actually happening on the field.
the DL has been also running stunts with Bosa going up the middle.. i guess Bosa sucks now

And blitzing LB's too. IOL gotta get used to that though with the calls and whatnot.
Share 49ersWebzone