There are 150 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Mike McGlinchey on Guards in this System: 28:45

"I think the Guard position on our offense is one of the most demanding that we have, outside of the QB position."

***NY85 has entered the chat***
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 4, 2022 at 9:28 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

"I think the Guard position on our offense is one of the most demanding that we have, outside of QB position."

I'd love to (at some point hopefully) see Poe vs Aaron Donald when Poe is ready.
Originally posted by Giedi:

"I think the Guard position on our offense is one of the most demanding that we have, outside of QB position."

I'd love to (at some point hopefully) see Poe vs Aaron Donald when Poe is ready.

Haha. They'd both be so low they'd be 6 inches off the ground.

BTW, that MM interview was one of the best interviews I've heard. He also said he's playing with "a new knee."

Good reason not to hand the position to a rook that has never played the position then. Mike knows what can happen firsthand.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

BTW, that MM interview was one of the best interviews I've heard. He also said he's playing with "a new knee."

Yeah, good interview, he mentioned the physics and angles and speed and blocking techniques. I've always maintained that as long as an OLineman has good atleticism and talent, he'll do well in the Shanahan system as long as he 👉fits👈 integrally into the entire OLIne. If four out of the five OLine runs 5.0 forty (for example) and the last guy runs a 6.0 forty - he might not *fit* on that line because of the speed differential between him and the rest of the OLinemen on that squad. You may be better off going with a less talented player (a day 3 player possibly), but who can still match the speed and athleticism of the rest of the OLine.

P.S. Looks Burford is a lock at RG from Mike's perspective.

P.P.S. I don't think the snapping and exchange issues between Brunskill and Trey are going to be a big issue. I'm also not downplaying it either. It is important. But I've seen too many good players transition to the center position and never really had a snapping problem once they got some quality in game reps with the QB.

That was a great interview. He almost used the old tag line.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Good reason not to hand the position to a rook that has never played the position then. Mike knows what can happen firsthand.

Yeah, he goes into great detail why G is so demanding so you're right...they didn't waste any time giving him first team reps because he's got a ton on his plate to learn. It might be ugly and clunky for a while. BUT if the talent is there, we should start to see some ascension over time. If not, we'll see the opposite as time goes on.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 3, 2022 at 4:54 PM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
That was a great interview. He almost used the old tag line.

Haha, true!
Yeah, good interview, he mentioned the physics and angles and speed and blocking techniques. I've always maintained that as long as an OLineman has good atleticism and talent, he'll do well in the Shanahan system as long as he 👉fits👈 integrally into the entire OLIne. If four out of the five OLine runs 5.0 forty (for example) and the last guy runs a 6.0 forty - he might not *fit* on that line because of the speed differential between him and the rest of the OLinemen on that squad. You may be better off going with a less talented player (a day 3 player possibly), but who can still match the speed and athleticism of the rest of the OLine.

P.S. Looks Burford is a lock at RG from Mike's perspective.

P.P.S. I don't think the snapping and exchange issues between Brunskill and Trey are going to be a big issue. I'm also not downplaying it either. It is important. But I've seen too many good players transition to the center position and never really had a snapping problem once they got some quality in game reps with the QB.

Yeah, high end athleticism, quickness, speed, high football IQ, high end conditioning, anchoring in PP and short yardage, physics and angles, vision, timing, ability to change gears on the fly, etc.

So much is put on this unit.

You and I have talked a ton about it.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

ORLY

I would have guessed C is the most demanding, personally.

ORLY

Tackles get paid like they are the most demanding
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

ORLY

Tackles get paid like they are the most demanding

Wow. Enlightening. LOL
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

ORLY

Definitely from a mental standpoint. It's the most demanding of all five OLine positions, in my opinion.
So it's becoming clearer that the 1st team is:

Williams - Banks - Brunskill/Brendel -Burford - McGlinchey

with the other other C and Moore as primary backups.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
So it's becoming clearer that the 1st team is:

Williams - Banks - Brunskill/Brendel -Burford - McGlinchey

with the other other C and Moore as primary backups.

That 6th and 7th are huge for us.
Share 49ersWebzone