49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Mike McGlinchey on Guards in this System: 28:45

"I think the Guard position on our offense is one of the most demanding that we have, outside of QB position."

***NY85 has entered the chat***

ORLY

I would have guessed C is the most demanding, personally.
Tackles get paid like they are the most demanding

Wow. Enlightening. LOL
Can't argue with facts lol
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Mike McGlinchey on Guards in this System: 28:45

"I think the Guard position on our offense is one of the most demanding that we have, outside of QB position."

***NY85 has entered the chat***

Good reason not to hand the position to a rook that has never played the position then. Mike knows what can happen firsthand.

Yeah, he goes into great detail why G is so demanding so you're right...they didn't waste any time giving him first team reps because he's got a ton on his plate to learn. It might be ugly and clunky for a while. BUT if the talent is there, we should start to see some ascension over time. If not, we'll see the opposite as time goes on.

Good stuff to hear
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
So it's becoming clearer that the 1st team is:

Williams - Banks - Brunskill/Brendel -Burford - McGlinchey

with the other other C and Moore as primary backups.
It does seem like it is those guys' jobs to lose. But there have only been two padded practices so far and a lot of time for them to lose those spots.

A few thoughts.

It sounds like Burford might have solidified himself as one of starting guards more than Banks has.

If they struggle to find someone reliable at one of the guard spots, they could decide to kick Brunskill back out to start there.

It will be interesting to see if they give Moore any playing time at Guard. As he might be a better fit there.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Great Barrows story just posted in The Athletic on how Trent took Burford and Poe under his wing this summer.

i initially heard he invited all rookies, but it reads more like Trent invited only Poe and Burford to Houston after scouting them in mini-camp.

Game recognizes game
Trent invited all the OL

That's what I thought… until I read the Barrows piece.
got it, but i will take Trent's word as Trent said it himself on NFLN yesterday

FWIW, I finally watched a DVR of that live interview on NFLN and Trent wasn't asked nor said anything about off-season workouts.
It's a minor point, but I like to think Trent singled these two out for the same reason they appear to be exceeding expectations.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
So it's becoming clearer that the 1st team is:

Williams - Banks - Brunskill/Brendel -Burford - McGlinchey

with the other other C and Moore as primary backups.

That 6th and 7th are huge for us.
Hopefully Brendel wins the C position because Brunskill is the perfect linemen to come off the bench and fill any spot whether it be guard, tackle and now apparently center.
Great Barrows story just posted in The Athletic on how Trent took Burford and Poe under his wing this summer.

i initially heard he invited all rookies, but it reads more like Trent invited only Poe and Burford to Houston after scouting them in mini-camp.

Game recognizes game
Trent invited all the OL

FWIW, I finally watched a DVR of that live interview on NFLN and Trent wasn't asked nor said anything about off-season workouts.
It's a minor point, but I like to think Trent singled these two out for the same reason they appear to be exceeding expectations.
Sorry man, I don't have the athletic or follow barrows. I could have swore that's where I heard it
C is still the #1 need on this team...
McGlinchy at 285 and planning on staying there.

Welp.
Can we please stop saying that Brunskill and Brendel are "practicing against the league's best defensive line" - no they absolutely are not. This line is missing Armstead, Hurst, and Kinlaw is on a pitch count with a slew of back-up like Hyder and Barrett playing inside because we're suddenly thin there. They might be practicing against the better depth at DL in the league. The tackles might be playing against elite talent but not the IOL. I've read this in a few camp reports and although it's catchy to say, it doesn't reflect what's actually happening on the field.
the DL has been also running stunts with Bosa going up the middle.. i guess Bosa sucks now

So there are camp reports. Please post the report where they're doing this in camp. There are so many eyes at practice, not once have I read "Brunskill having issues with Bosa" or "Brendel can't stop Bosa on a stunt."

That would be helpful than "because I say so" but you have a well-known reputation for spinning things out of thin air bro.

I'll wait.

25. Trey Lance throws an 5-yard incompletion in the flat to Elijah Mitchell. The defensive line appeared to stunt Nick Bosa to the interior, where he worked against Jake Brendel, and the defensive line got pressure on the play.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/159627-49ers-training-camp-day-11-on-11s-recap/

i hope i didn't take that long lol

One play out of literally 68 snaps and you're still calling this DL full of starters? Oh I see because Bosa stunts once, that's stunting all the time.

And still no Brunskill tested by "starters" .... but I'll let you finish.

want's proof, gets proof, still knows better. No wonder I dont come here much anymore.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:

Welp.

I read 309 ( per wed MB camp report)
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Aug 4, 2022 at 9:02 AM ]

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Welp.

He looks skinny again like two years ago when he was getting pancaked by DB's.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Welp.

He was 290 then, went to 315 the following year and is now 309, where he initially started at
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Welp.

He was 290 then, went to 315 the following year and is now 309, where he initially started at

numbers aside, he's always been a bad pass protector.
Yea I've been so worried about the guard and center situation that I've just pretended that MM will be fine this year. Isn't it a contract year for him? Doesn't look like we've developed any depth behind him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Game recognizes game
Trent invited all the OL

I'm really hoping Poe makes the 53. Afterall, he's wearing Guy McIntyre's number.
Share 49ersWebzone