Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
McGlinchy at 285 and planning on staying there.

Welp.

I read 309 ( per wed MB camp report)

He looks skinny again like two years ago when he was getting pancaked by DB's.

He was 290 then, went to 315 the following year and is now 309, where he initially started at

numbers aside, he's always been a bad pass protector.

Agree, and if so, Moore and McKivitz, I think can replace him. So he has to be a better pass protector now, otherwise most likely he'll be let go after this year.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea I've been so worried about the guard and center situation that I've just pretended that MM will be fine this year. Isn't it a contract year for him? Doesn't look like we've developed any depth behind him.

Burford will slide to RT from RG imo.
If they're working 3 out that usually means somebody is injured.

According to Aaron Wilson of Pro Football Network, the team also worked out three players. They are offensive linemen Jordan Mills, Tyree St. Louis, and Caleb Benenoch.
obviously offensive line seems like a position we expected more of a splashy move. Be it a vet with some experience or perhaps an earlier pick. It seems the 2 gaurd spot have Banks and Burford looking like the potential answer. MM is one of 47 free agents next year. To me that spot will be addressed either directly or indirectly with a newcomer. I don't expect MM to get a 2nd contract. I'm not sure how much better he'll be at 10mil cap hit then some much cheaper options on the roster. But I would expect either an upgrade or investment at either center or RT next offseason. We may feel differently once the season plays out. Last year this time we were worried about CB. That concern was validated and the off-season brought ward, Verrett back, 2 draft picks, and UDFA's. A year late. Let's hope the OL plays out differently.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
If they're working 3 out that usually means somebody is injured.

According to Aaron Wilson of Pro Football Network, the team also worked out three players. They are offensive linemen Jordan Mills, Tyree St. Louis, and Caleb Benenoch.

or they do not like our guys
  • dj43
Mike McGlinchey on Guards in this System: 28:45

"I think the Guard position on our offense is one of the most demanding that we have, outside of the QB position."

***NY85 has entered the chat***

MM said he is a serious golfer. I'd love to see him hit the driver. That ball would sizzle.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NinerGM:

"I think the Guard position on our offense is one of the most demanding that we have, outside of QB position."

ORLY

I would have guessed C is the most demanding, personally.

Definitely from a mental standpoint. It's the most demanding of all five OLine positions, in my opinion.

The mental aspect is certainly at the top. Not that the other four positions don't have a mental task as well, it's just that the center has to know and recognize in a split second what every player has to do on every play.

Footwork is an underrated skill for centers, IMO. At least you don't seem to hear a lot of guys talking about it. Post-snap the center has to have his head on a swivel like no one else, looking for where he might be able to help out if he doesn't have someone on him right away. Once he sees it, his feet have to get him in position to make the play. I see Brunskill having that kind of footwork. (Brendel may have it as well, I just haven't seen enough of him play to know for sure.) DB's best position is OT, IMO, but the same quick feet that make him a good lead blocker and puller on the outside also can serve him well at center.

Guard is tough because you MUST have great technique to deal with huge DTs and also be able to pull well, especially in this offense. From early reports, it looks like ShanaLynch knew what they had in Burford from the get go. Right now it looks like plug-and-play.
Originally posted by dj43:

"I think the Guard position on our offense is one of the most demanding that we have, outside of the QB position."

MM said he is a serious golfer. I'd love to see him hit the driver. That ball would sizzle.

With that length? He'd drive over 300 every time!
I know its a cohn video but it is a good interview with Chris Foerster OL coach.

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Never heard of any of them
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:

aside from trent and maybe mm.. no one in the nfl has heard of the guys that are trying to play the offensive line position for us
Originally posted by 49ers808:

You never head off Jordan Millis?
Originally posted by cciowa:
aside from trent and maybe mm.. no one in the nfl has heard of the guys that are trying to play the offensive line position for us

Can you name all the Rams lineman? How about the packers or saints? Who's the RT got the cowboys?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

Can you name all the Rams lineman? How about the packers or saints? Who's the RT got the cowboys?

i was sort of joking.. why do you get so thin skinned over any critical even if they are meant in a non mean way on in regards to our team. i really do not think there is another team in the nfl that has so many unknowns and question marks with their offensive line.... and i bet there are few if any who have a major glaring hole at center and who has a young face of the franchise qb behind that center either
Share 49ersWebzone