There are 197 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
That sux. Makes sense now why they were taking a look at some right tackles.

[ Edited by Bloodless on Aug 5, 2022 at 10:13 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
From Football outsiders

Let's take Garoppolo, for example. He was pressured on 23.4% of his dropbacks, the eighth-lowest rate among 34 qualifying quarterbacks in 2021. So he was passing from a clean pocket about three-quarters of the time, and on those plays he was fantastic—his 64.7% DVOA was third best behind Aaron Rodgers and Kirk Cousins. When pressure did arrive, however, Garoppolo's DVOA fell all the way to -95.4%, well below the league average of -74.0%. That's a drop of 160.1% in DVOA between pressured and non-pressured plays

Yup. We are moving on from a QB who cannot perform under pressure and we let go of the 2 weakest pass pro's on the line.

Yup. TBF, not many QB's are successful in the playoffs with a 42% pressure rate (25% is good) and <3ypc.

That greatly needs to improved upon...this time for Trey. He needs to help his OL as much as he can and make the plays that are there.

Neither will likely happen in year 1.
Originally posted by Bloodless:

Figured as much. It sounds like Foerster said guys were getting overused esp. the T's who were doing double duty at G too. It wouldn't surprise me if they signed a couple bodies.
Originally posted by NCommand:
From Football outsiders

Let's take Garoppolo, for example. He was pressured on 23.4% of his dropbacks, the eighth-lowest rate among 34 qualifying quarterbacks in 2021. So he was passing from a clean pocket about three-quarters of the time, and on those plays he was fantastic—his 64.7% DVOA was third best behind Aaron Rodgers and Kirk Cousins. When pressure did arrive, however, Garoppolo's DVOA fell all the way to -95.4%, well below the league average of -74.0%. That's a drop of 160.1% in DVOA between pressured and non-pressured plays

Yup. We are moving on from a QB who cannot perform under pressure and we let go of the 2 weakest pass pro's on the line.

Yup. TBF, not many QB's are successful in the playoffs with a 42% pressure rate (25% is good) and <3ypc.

That greatly needs to improved upon...this time for Trey. He needs to help his OL as much as he can and make the plays that are there.

NY brought up the same topic in the Jimmy thread. I asked the question in there. If a QB is under pressure on 42% of his drop backs with an ADOT as low as 6.0, is it because the QB is holding onto the ball too long or is it because PP is just that bad?

Figured as much. It sounds like Foerster said guys were getting overused esp. the T's who were doing double duty at G too. It wouldn't surprise me if they signed a couple bodies.
overused.. sounds odd, i wonder how many OL did we used to have on the camp roster before?
From Football outsiders

NY brought up the same topic in the Jimmy thread. I asked the question in there. If a QB is under pressure on 42% of his drop backs with an ADOT as low as 6.0, is it because the QB is holding onto the ball too long or is it because PP is just that bad?

Didn't you already do the TTT splits? When pressured, when not. It's hard to say in a general sense but the ones that pushed a 3s average you can assume he either didn't pull the trigger and/or tried to buy time. Neither are going to end well for him. As to IF there was a primary or secondary open, we'd have to look at that sample. My guess is he didn't see something he liked and didn't pull the trigger in a tight game. So "holding the ball too long."
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 5, 2022 at 10:46 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

overused.. sounds odd, i wonder how many OL did we used to have on the camp roster before?

I think he used MM as an example. Since he's not doing 11v11 guys like McKivitz and Moore are doing double duty and Colton is relieving G too. Not sure about Moore. Probably not as much ATM.
From Football outsiders

Didn't you already do the TTT splits? When pressured, when not. It's hard to say in a general sense but the ones that pushed a 3s average you can assume he either didn't pull the trigger and/or tried to buy time. Neither are going to end well for him. As to IF there was a primary or secondary open, we'd have to look at that sample. My guess is he didn't see something he liked and didn't pull the trigger in a tight game. So "holding the ball too long."

I don't think I included them all on that chart I made but here they are.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Aug 5, 2022 at 10:49 AM ]
From Football outsiders

Was that the playoffs? Those are insanely high TTT's.

I thought you had one that showed his rating while no pressure and with pressure and the TTT's corresponded too. Like 2.3s and over 3s. No?
From Football outsiders

I thought you had one that showed his rating while no pressure and with pressure and the TTT's corresponded too. Like 2.3s and over 3s. No?

Yes. These are playoff numbers and under pressure only.

I may have posted Jimmy's TTT with and without pressure but I did not make a chart for all playoff QB's
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Aug 5, 2022 at 10:56 AM ]

From Football outsiders

I may have posted Jimmy's TTT with and without pressure but I did not make a chart for all playoff QB's

Correct. It was just about Jimmy. It was a super comprehensive splits post.

Man, those are crazy high. As an example, JG is usually one of the fastest at around 2.5ish. Anything from 2.8+ is all your mobile QB's.

Man, those are crazy high. As an example, JG is usually one of the fastest at around 2.5ish. Anything from 2.8+ is all your mobile QB's.

Better defenses make it harder to get open as quick. What it's so damn important to hit the open throws when ya have em.
From Football outsiders

Here is another interesting chart. It assigns blame for the pressures allowed.

ESPN just released their projected offensive line rankings for this season. Niners right in the middle at 16. Interesting note about Brunkskill against Donald since it seems like Donald never really has a dominant game against us. See the Niners write up below:

Projected starters: Trent Williams, Aaron Banks, Jake Brendel, Daniel Brunskill, Mike McGlinchey

Predicted pass block rank: No. 15
Predicted run block rank: No. 16

"The Niners are of course anchored by Williams, but losing Laken Tomlinson hurts, and PBWR has seen McGlinchey as below average in each of the past two seasons.

Everyone has a rough time against Aaron Donald, but no one more than Brunskill. He has surrendered a 54% PRWR to Donald over his career, the highest of any player with at least 15 pass-rush plays with a win or loss vs. Donald since 2017."
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by diehardniners408:
ESPN just released their projected offensive line rankings for this season. Niners right in the middle at 16. Interesting note about Brunkskill against Donald since it seems like Donald never really has a dominant game against us. See the Niners write up below:

Projected starters: Trent Williams, Aaron Banks, Jake Brendel, Daniel Brunskill, Mike McGlinchey

Predicted pass block rank: No. 15
Predicted run block rank: No. 16

"The Niners are of course anchored by Williams, but losing Laken Tomlinson hurts, and PBWR has seen McGlinchey as below average in each of the past two seasons.

Everyone has a rough time against Aaron Donald, but no one more than Brunskill. He has surrendered a 54% PRWR to Donald over his career, the highest of any player with at least 15 pass-rush plays with a win or loss vs. Donald since 2017."

100% based on last years personnel - we're getting bump from what the guys have done before.

I think these projections are about in line with what I expect, maybe too low (top-12) in run blocking. I feel like we have a middle-of-the-road offensive line and an elite defensive line.
Share 49ersWebzone