There are 228 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Sounds like brunskill can't consistently snap the ball.

Also Kyle Shanahan:

And plays at a level that is good enough to win...

SMH

Where have we heard this one before?!?

The retirement of Mack and Jimmy's shoulder operation had a bit to do with the 49ers hands being tied on getting some good Center free agents.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Any news on west? Was hoping he could be a dark horse center.

Haven't heard anything. He must be on 3rd team exclusively and very unlikely to make the 53. PS-bound

Yup.

i think that is the plan i think the hope is he is C of the future but will definitely be red shirted his rookie year

I think thats a fair assessment, but I'm with NC, I'd like some high end draft capital spent on an elite center in next years draft to replace Mack. Kyle's inside run game (gap/power or inside zone) will be unstoppable with an elite road grading center that can also pass block and can call the protections.
Originally posted by Giedi:
The retirement of Mack and Jimmy's shoulder operation had a bit to do with the 49ers hands being tied on getting some good Center free agents.

There weren't any good ones really. Mason Cole best of the group.

I expect Erik McCoy to be the target in 2023.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Those feet!

Haven't heard anything. He must be on 3rd team exclusively and very unlikely to make the 53. PS-bound

Yup.

i think that is the plan i think the hope is he is C of the future but will definitely be red shirted his rookie year

I think thats a fair assessment, but I'm with NC, I'd like some high end draft capital spent on an elite center in next years draft to replace Mack. Kyle's inside run game (gap/power or inside zone) will be unstoppable with an elite road grading center that can also pass block and can call the protections.

Agreed, especially if the other positions are working out. I'd put C and RT at the very top. If only we could've moved on from Jimmy with a day 2 pick.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Yup.

Agreed, especially if the other positions are working out. I'd put C and RT at the very top. If only we could've moved on from Jimmy with a day 2 pick.

I'm wondering if there is such a training academy for Offensive linemen, sort of like Mike Shanahan's Quarterback Collective - that trains young QB's in the pro game.

I'd be cool to see what young up and coming offensive linemen are at that kind of an academy, otherwise, we have to rely on NY85 and the other draft nerds for the potential Offensive linemen for the 2023 NFL draft.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I know its a cohn video but it is a good interview with Chris Foerster OL coach.

I tried to watch it, but all I heard was Foerster responding to wet fart noises.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Preseason has started and the 49ers still don't have a starting center, but no worries Foerster believes that you should just throw guys out there to play because you don't know how good they are until they get beat and if they get the beat the following week, then you have a problem. It boggles the mind how this dude has a job as an NFL okine coach.

Apply for his job, if you're so sure you know better than him.
I think we're following the Mike Shanahan system for Oline that was in place at Denver. We don't draft guys high in general, we take guys on day 2 or 3 that we think we can develop and let them learn behind vets for a couple of years before bringing them through.

Banks seems a key example of this, he was drafted to replace Laken after a year of development. I think that will continue to happen with maybe the odd, later pick like Burford who seems ready from the start.

Brunskill was probably ear marked for RG, but Burford exceeded expectations and is the exception to the production line.
Originally posted by diehardniners408:
ESPN just released their projected offensive line rankings for this season. Niners right in the middle at 16. Interesting note about Brunkskill against Donald since it seems like Donald never really has a dominant game against us. See the Niners write up below:

Projected starters: Trent Williams, Aaron Banks, Jake Brendel, Daniel Brunskill, Mike McGlinchey

Predicted pass block rank: No. 15
Predicted run block rank: No. 16

"The Niners are of course anchored by Williams, but losing Laken Tomlinson hurts, and PBWR has seen McGlinchey as below average in each of the past two seasons.

Everyone has a rough time against Aaron Donald, but no one more than Brunskill. He has surrendered a 54% PRWR to Donald over his career, the highest of any player with at least 15 pass-rush plays with a win or loss vs. Donald since 2017."

100% based on last years personnel - we're getting bump from what the guys have done before.

I think these projections are about in line with what I expect, maybe too low (top-12) in run blocking. I feel like we have a middle-of-the-road offensive line and an elite defensive line.

Man, I tried to predict this unit a bit ago but I just don't have any idea how effective they'll be in run blocking with the new scheme and personnel.

I think I had them around 23 to start. Probably closer to 16 by the end of the year.

Exactly which is why I said any middle ranking is based of last year's personnel. This is a complete projection.

No question.

Sounds like the OL had a nice day yesterday so just gotta keep making baby steps here and keep looking to ceilings.

Yup.

the problem with C they are usually never more than 2 NFL ready prospects a year and they both typically go in first 2-3 rounds. I have no problem with spending the capitol but last draft it was impossible for us to get a C
Originally posted by Buchy:
I think we're following the Mike Shanahan system for Oline that was in place at Denver. We don't draft guys high in general, we take guys on day 2 or 3 that we think we can develop and let them learn behind vets for a couple of years before bringing them through.

Banks seems a key example of this, he was drafted to replace Laken after a year of development. I think that will continue to happen with maybe the odd, later pick like Burford who seems ready from the start.

Brunskill was probably ear marked for RG, but Burford exceeded expectations and is the exception to the production line.

I disagree a bit. The 49ers reach in early rounds. By reach I mean they ignore the expert draft rankings and take prospects ranked much lower. Recent examples Banks, Aiyuk, Ambry Thomas. The 49ers passed CeeDee Lamb and Justin Jefferson to draft Javon Kinlaw instead, then drafted Aiyuk at WR instead. The Banks and Thomas picks were need positions with higher ranked prospects at those positions. Obviously there overall track record is a mix of good and bad like others and I believe we excel in development. But sometimes you can overthink things.

Also I'd argue a 2nd round pick on a Gaurd is a pretty big investment. Banks was ranked much lower. I would not be shocked if Burford ends up the better player. Drafted in 4th and way better then Banks was this time last year
For some context I believe with Deebo and CD or Jefferson replacing Aiyuk last year we beat the rams and bengals. Even with Jimmy. Kinlaw was hurt already. I think Aiyuk will be a good player, maybe great. But he's been a tier or two or several below CD and JJ thus far. And I've been pissed about it since draft night. So hopefully Kinlaw lives up eventually too.
Originally posted by davidboutte:

I disagree a bit. The 49ers reach in early rounds. By reach I mean they ignore the expert draft rankings and take prospects ranked much lower. Recent examples Banks, Aiyuk, Ambry Thomas. The 49ers passed CeeDee Lamb and Justin Jefferson to draft Javon Kinlaw instead, then drafted Aiyuk at WR instead. The Banks and Thomas picks were need positions with higher ranked prospects at those positions. Obviously there overall track record is a mix of good and bad like others and I believe we excel in development. But sometimes you can overthink things.

Also I'd argue a 2nd round pick on a Gaurd is a pretty big investment. Banks was ranked much lower. I would not be shocked if Burford ends up the better player. Drafted in 4th and way better then Banks was this time last year

The draft experts know very little, people like to point to their successes but ignore when they've a player ranked high who flames out. Everyone has perfect 20 20 hindsight when a player hits, but no one acknowledges a player the ranked highly who becomes a bust.

My point is that, excluding McGlinchey and Banks, the organisation prefers to sign experienced oline or draft in the later rounds and aim to develop them to starters.

Watch Aiyuk and Kinlaw this season before passing judgement. Aiyuk is not the kind of receiver Jimmy can really exploit, Kinlaw should finally be healthy.
[ Edited by Buchy on Aug 7, 2022 at 6:28 AM ]

I also think Burford is under contract for 4 seasons. If Burford and Banks can lock down the Guard position at a cheap cap price its a win. Brunskill, I love, I love as a back up to all positions along hte OL where there will not be a dramatic drop off. I personally would like Brunskil to sign a 4 year low contract that he is a high paid back up, maybe 2.5 million a year. Sounds like a lot, but would be a win win
Share 49ersWebzone