Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Mixed bag overall (execution) but lots of encouraging signs all around from starters to developmental depth.

Nice, I read burford looks great. How about banks and center?

Burford struggled in PP but Banks and Brendel looked really solid. I'll watch them all again closely later.

Yea. I am going to have to go back and watch Burford again myself. I thought I saw Banks get pushed back in pass pro a couple times on the first drive but looked better on that bomb to Gray. Brendel did look solid. I honestly cannot see Brunskill beating him out for the starting role. It will be nice to see the entire starting lineup play together before the start of the season.

At first glance, I totally agree. Always fun to rewatch without the emotion. I don't like the quick inside pressure so I'll pay extra attention to what happened there.

Rewatched Poe in the 4th QTR, he did a good job in pass pro on the Purdy TD throw and 2 point conversion. Well, in my opinion, at least. I thought the OLine in general did a good job in pass protection. There were some breakdowns, but I attribute it to not playing together vs being physically dominated.

Getting to the 53 this year is going to be hard.
i thought all the starters did well. Both Banks and Burford looked solid

Backups are a different story we are pretty thin at OL
Originally posted by Giedi:
Rewatched Poe in the 4th QTR, he did a good job in pass pro on the Purdy TD throw and 2 point conversion. Well, in my opinion, at least. I thought the OLine in general did a good job in pass protection. There were some breakdowns, but I attribute it to not playing together vs being physically dominated.

Getting to the 53 this year is going to be hard.

i think he will be the priority PS guy

hes shown a lot of potential but i dont think he is good enough to make any 53
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Justin Skule needs to go. The guy is flat out useless in pass pro.

Absolutely.

That left T was as bad as Skule at RT too. Not a lot of clean pockets for 2.5+s all game. I'm definitely looking forward to getting TW back.
That left T was as bad as Skule at RT too. Not a lot of clean pockets for 2.5+s all game. I'm definitely looking forward to getting TW back.

There weren't. But the qbs also did a fantastic job of buying time and stepping up. A significant difference from what the team had.

Mills should get run as 2nd team RT. Skule is done.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Aug 13, 2022 at 10:05 AM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

There weren't. But the qbs also did a fantastic job of buying time and stepping up. A significant difference from what the team had.

Totally agree. Kudos to the QB's for stepping up, around and past traffic while under duress and still making plays. Yeah, I already have Mills in my 53 and that was before the game.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 13, 2022 at 10:21 AM ]

He got Skuled!
Originally posted by ritz126:

I think we are just trying to just five good starters, given the losses on O-line. I wouldn't expect big things from the backups yet, but for me, it looks better than it has in years past. We are better considering many thought the whole IOL was going to be a problem and right now we are only looking at center as the point of concern.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Justin Skule needs to go. The guy is flat out useless in pass pro.

Absolutely.

Yes. Was that Mckivitz at LT? I hope both our starting T's can stay healthy all season. The IOL looks like it has a chance to be adequate enough. If we can finally get some durability and chemistry along the O line, it will go a long way to keeping Trey a head of schedule this season.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by ritz126:

I think we are just trying to just five good starters, given the losses on O-line. I wouldn't expect big things from the backups yet, but for me, it looks better than it has in years past. We are better considering many thought the whole IOL was going to be a problem and right now we are only looking at center as the point of concern.

Brendel looked pretty solid to me at C last night.

Yes. Was that Mckivitz at LT? I hope both our starting T's can stay healthy all season. The IOL looks like it has a chance to be adequate enough. If we can finally get some durability and chemistry along the O line, it will go a long way to keeping Trey a head of schedule this season.

Best thing for the 9ers right now is to have Brunskill be first off bench at all the spots. Hope Moore can get healthy so we can see him more at guard.

Best thing for the 9ers right now is to have Brunskill be first off bench at all the spots. Hope Moore can get healthy so we can see him more at guard.

Nevermind. I was thinking of Skule. Brunskill would be best off the bench at all spots.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Aug 13, 2022 at 11:44 AM ]
Best thing for the 9ers right now is to have Brunskill be first off bench at all the spots.

That is his role. He has been very solid at both OTs in the past. He is serviceable at Guard and Center. Keeping him is like a 3-in-1 package - he saves roster spots for other areas where there is solid depth but no roster spots available otherwise.
Originally posted by dj43:
Best thing for the 9ers right now is to have Brunskill be first off bench at all the spots.

That is his role. He has been very solid at both OTs in the past. He is serviceable at Guard and Center. Keeping him is like a 3-in-1 package - he saves roster spots for other areas where there is solid depth but no roster spots available otherwise.

I don't understand why we keep Brunskill inside. He performed much better at tackle in the past.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by dj43:

I don't understand why we keep Brunskill inside. He performed much better at tackle in the past.

He moved inside last season because Compton was a mess at guard but decent at RT. Brunskill is a better tackle but leaving Compton at guard was not working. Hence, Brunskill moved inside because there was no one else healthy enough to do it. His lack of strength there got exposed but he was quite good pulling.

This season, the question is at Center (duh), so Brunskill goes there to use his experience in case Brendel can't win the job.

Brunskill is the ultimate Jack-of-all-trades, master of none.
Share 49ersWebzone