There are 175 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Best thing for the 9ers right now is to have Brunskill be first off bench at all the spots.

That is his role. He has been very solid at both OTs in the past. He is serviceable at Guard and Center. Keeping him is like a 3-in-1 package - he saves roster spots for other areas where there is solid depth but no roster spots available otherwise.

I don't understand why we keep Brunskill inside. He performed much better at tackle in the past.

He moved inside last season because Compton was a mess at guard but decent at RT. Brunskill is a better tackle but leaving Compton at guard was not working. Hence, Brunskill moved inside because there was no one else healthy enough to do it. His lack of strength there got exposed but he was quite good pulling.

This season, the question is at Center (duh), so Brunskill goes there to use his experience in case Brendel can't win the job.

Brunskill is the ultimate Jack-of-all-trades, master of none.

Hopefully this Is the last season we'll see of Brunskill, assuming some of these young guys show enough potential to keep him ( Brunskill ) from making the final roster In 2023
Best thing for the 9ers right now is to have Brunskill be first off bench at all the spots.

That is his role. He has been very solid at both OTs in the past. He is serviceable at Guard and Center. Keeping him is like a 3-in-1 package - he saves roster spots for other areas where there is solid depth but no roster spots available otherwise.

I don't understand why we keep Brunskill inside. He performed much better at tackle in the past.

He moved inside last season because Compton was a mess at guard but decent at RT. Brunskill is a better tackle but leaving Compton at guard was not working. Hence, Brunskill moved inside because there was no one else healthy enough to do it. His lack of strength there got exposed but he was quite good pulling.

This season, the question is at Center (duh), so Brunskill goes there to use his experience in case Brendel can't win the job.

Aaron Banks was healthy. If Banks was ready like Shanahan said he was by mid season and Brunskill was truly better outside, that switch would have been made.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Aaron Banks was healthy. If Banks was ready like Shanahan said he was by mid season and Brunskill was truly better outside, that switch would have been made.

Given the multiple times it was said that Banks had worked hard all off-season to "re-shape" his body, it doesn't sound like Banks was ready to play last season. That suggests Shanahan's comments last year were just coach talk to protect the investment they had made in him.

My eye test tells me that Brunskill is the best backup OT on the team. Watching Skule and McKivitz last night confirmed it. The fact he can fill in in the middle if needed makes him an important piece to the overall roster. So, until one of the youngsters proves they are a better utility OL, Brunskill will make the 53 again.

Right now we have to keep an eye on the overall roster. There are several places where the talent level is deeper than the traditional number of roster spots available. Hence, guys like Brunskill will be very helpful in protecting the depth.

This
Originally posted by Sickaa:

Hopefully this Is the last season we'll see of Brunskill, assuming some of these young guys show enough potential to keep him ( Brunskill ) from making the final roster In 2023
I ,love brunskil as the 6 th OL
He is a value because he can play all five line spots
Now that Brunskill is out for a few weeks with a hamstring injury I hope that means that Brendel will be our starting center going forward and hopefully Burford will be the right guard.

I have a feeling since Shanahan loves veterans, Brunskill may start the season at RG over Burford which is a mistake in my opinion. Brunskill can back up everyone on the online, especially at RT if MM gets reinjured
Originally posted by elguapo:
Now that Brunskill is out for a few weeks with a hamstring injury I hope that means that Brendel will be our starting center going forward and hopefully Burford will be the right guard.

I have a feeling since Shanahan loves veterans, Brunskill may start the season at RG over Burford which is a mistake in my opinion. Brunskill can back up everyone on the online, especially at RT if MM gets reinjured

Originally posted by Sickaa:

Disagree with that. As a starter? Possibly. Id love if we can go with Williams/Banks/Brendel or West/Burford/Moore? In 2023, but depth is still needed. If Brunskill is our swing tackle or backs up all positions, I could live with that.
This is super concerning to me.

T Mike McGlinchey

The veteran offensive lineman is dealing with some knee irritation.

"McGlinchey, he ended up irritating the inside of his knee," Shanahan said. "The good news is was his surgical repair, and all the stuff he did this offseason was good. But he had some slight irritation in his knee, so we're going to have to be smart with him this week. I'll be surprised if he does anything in Minnesota."
Originally posted by NCommand:

T Mike McGlinchey

"McGlinchey, he ended up irritating the inside of his knee," Shanahan said. "The good news is was his surgical repair, and all the stuff he did this offseason was good. But he had some slight irritation in his knee, so we're going to have to be smart with him this week. I'll be surprised if he does anything in Minnesota."

Brendel will be starting center by default, looks like.

T Mike McGlinchey

And I was just saying yesterday how impressed I was that he was even playing.

T Mike McGlinchey

What was his injury last year?
Our O-line didn't look bad yesterday, I think its our D line that is just so dominant that our O-line looks weak in practice.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

T Mike McGlinchey

What was his injury last year?

The tendon was about 95% torn. Had it completely torn, the whole quad would have balled up.

Lynch gives update on Kinlaw's recovery from knee surgery:

"He had a significant surgery to repair that quad tendon..." McGlinchey underwent surgery in November after sustaining the injury in the first half of the 49ers' Week 9 game against the Arizona Cardinals.

McGlinchey described it as learning to play with a brand new knee. I'm not sure what exactly that means.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 13, 2022 at 5:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone