49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 252 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by dj43:
This is super concerning to me.

T Mike McGlinchey

The veteran offensive lineman is dealing with some knee irritation.

"McGlinchey, he ended up irritating the inside of his knee," Shanahan said. "The good news is was his surgical repair, and all the stuff he did this offseason was good. But he had some slight irritation in his knee, so we're going to have to be smart with him this week. I'll be surprised if he does anything in Minnesota."

And I was just saying yesterday how impressed I was that he was even playing.

I'm ok with Brunskill at Right Tackle if McGlinchey can't make the 53 due to durability issues. What I'm hoping for is one of the young draftees step up and beat McGlinchey to the right tackle starting spot. Maybe Nick Zakelj? Let's see how he does at Right Tackle if McGlinchey is out for a while.

he played well i think this is just limiting him and being smart to avoid any reinjury.

I agree about limiting his play time to avoid injury, but I'm afraid that will become another Dee Ford situation. What good is ability if it's on the bench rehabbing. 49ers, I think, have really focused on durability almost as much as physical talent this year. I think they have some good talent to push towards Right Tackle. Zakelj being possibly one of them.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

T Mike McGlinchey

"McGlinchey, he ended up irritating the inside of his knee," Shanahan said. "The good news is was his surgical repair, and all the stuff he did this offseason was good. But he had some slight irritation in his knee, so we're going to have to be smart with him this week. I'll be surprised if he does anything in Minnesota."

I'm ok with Brunskill at Right Tackle if McGlinchey can't make the 53 due to durability issues. What I'm hoping for is one of the young draftees step up and beat McGlinchey to the right tackle starting spot. Maybe Nick Zakelj? Let's see how he does at Right Tackle if McGlinchey is out for a while.

Jordan Mills has that inside track right now. I think we've seen enough of Skule and McKivitz. They are just late round players who don't have much talent or versatility, unfortunately.

Well, don't forget durability. If McKivitz is durable, I'd be willing to play him despite some talent deficiencies - if he's durable and has *some* talent that can be developed. I know Skule has had some injury and durability issues in the past. They seem to like McKivitz as Trent's backup, and he *is* a fifth round pick.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

They aren't cutting a guy with a guaranteed contract.

They don't have to. It's McGlinchy's last year on his contract. He'll be gone by next year if he can't play this year, I think. If they can keep McGlinchey healthy this year, that would add depth to the line, for sure. I'm hoping one of the younger players - maybe even one of the UDFA's - can make the 53 to add more depth to that OLine.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

T Mike McGlinchey

It seems like 10 years ago Brunskill played T.

Well, he's still young, has been relatively injury free (just a hammy right now I think). He'll add depth, at minimum, this year at tackle I think.
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
They aren't cutting a guy with a guaranteed contract.

hes too good to cut

he may not live up to the draft status of a top 10 pick but he is still an above average RT we can do far worse

I think this is what's missed about MM. Quality starter, just overdrafts. He will be paid by someone next year. Considering we need to get some good players on rookie deals and he is who he is is why I think he walks. But we shouldn't act like McGlinchey is Erik Pears.

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think this is what's missed about MM. Quality starter, just overdrafts. He will be paid by someone next year. Considering we need to get some good players on rookie deals and he is who he is is why I think he walks. But we shouldn't act like McGlinchey is Erik Pears.

There's a difference between bust and disappointment. A nuance many fans don't get
Originally posted by NotAFinga42:

Trent Williams has taken a liking to Burford and Poe. I trust him explicately and hope both make the team. Although I want Donovan West to show up at Center also
A year ago people were down on this regime because of lack of receiving talent and that narrative changed in one season. Hoping this is finally the year the narrative changes on our drafting of O-linemen.
Dre Greenlaw on facing off against Trent Williams "Trent runs like a DB. You've got to make some decisions when Trent's coming at you. You've got to make some business decisions."

A year ago people were down on this regime because of lack of receiving talent and that narrative changed in one season. Hoping this is finally the year the narrative changes on our drafting of O-linemen.

Me too!!!
Originally posted by eastie:
Dre Greenlaw on facing off against Trent Williams "Trent runs like a DB. You've got to make some decisions when Trent's coming at you. You've got to make some business decisions."

Outstanding!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Kyle had to go through Trent Taylor, Pierre Garcon, Pettis, Hurd, Richie James etc... to get to Deebo, Aiyuk, Jauan and now Gray and Ray Ray.

Kyle's gone through Richburg, Mack (retiring), Person, Brunskill, McGlinchy injured like Hurd - hopefully Burford and Banks are the Deebo and Aiyuk, and next year we have the OLineman's version of Gray and Ray Ray.

Note: Deebo was a 2nd round pick and Aiyuk was a first. Hope next year we get something like two third round picks invested in the OLine - to prepare for Trent's retirement and McGlinchey's possible free agency.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
So seems like Brunskill is nursing an injury and he's first off the bench if Brendel gets hurt. McGlinchy is nursing that surgically repaired knee and McKivits is getting smoked in practice. The McG is more of an issue than Brunskill. It's not just about the starting talent on the OL, it's also the depth. No you don't need a pro-bowl depth but you do need guys who can actually play the game without endangering the starting QB.

Put a pin in this.
great point... to many times.. when some of us voice concern about the o line.. some posters get crazy and say..... you can not have all pros at every spot..... as you said.. we just need guys more than respectable and aside from trent.. i am not sure if we even have that across the board..
Originally posted by cciowa:
great point... to many times.. when some of us voice concern about the o line.. some posters get crazy and say..... you can not have all pros at every spot..... as you said.. we just need guys more than respectable and aside from trent.. i am not sure if we even have that across the board..

What team does? That's the reality of things that the 9ers and every other team is dealing with. Everyone is struggling with OL depth.
Share 49ersWebzone