49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 242 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by cciowa:
great point... to many times.. when some of us voice concern about the o line.. some posters get crazy and say..... you can not have all pros at every spot..... as you said.. we just need guys more than respectable and aside from trent.. i am not sure if we even have that across the board..

What team does? That's the reality of things that the 9ers and every other team is dealing with. Everyone is struggling with OL depth.

but i bet few teams are struggling with a double whammy like we are... only one proven starter. question marks and players who have not very well in the other starting positions and pathetic depth. i think our offense will have to find ways to score points and keep trey healthy in spite of the o line. good luck with that
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by cciowa:
great point... to many times.. when some of us voice concern about the o line.. some posters get crazy and say..... you can not have all pros at every spot..... as you said.. we just need guys more than respectable and aside from trent.. i am not sure if we even have that across the board..

What team does? That's the reality of things that the 9ers and every other team is dealing with. Everyone is struggling with OL depth.
don't worry.. about these posts... hope i'm wrong lol

• Crown
  • Hall of Fame
My phone is drunk sorry.
[ Edited by Crown on Aug 15, 2022 at 8:06 PM ]
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
A year ago people were down on this regime because of lack of receiving talent and that narrative changed in one season. Hoping this is finally the year the narrative changes on our drafting of O-linemen.

Kyle had to go through Trent Taylor, Pierre Garcon, Pettis, Hurd, Richie James etc... to get to Deebo, Aiyuk, Jauan and now Gray and Ray Ray.

Kyle's gone through Richburg, Mack (retiring), Person, Brunskill, McGlinchy injured like Hurd - hopefully Burford and Banks are the Deebo and Aiyuk, and next year we have the OLineman's version of Gray and Ray Ray.

Note: Deebo was a 2nd round pick and Aiyuk was a first. Hope next year we get something like two third round picks invested in the OLine - to prepare for Trent's retirement and McGlinchey's possible free agency.

This is the way.
banks and burford look okay actually, hopefully they keep progressing 🤞
Originally posted by NinerGM:
LOL mkay

Mckivitz is better right now than the guy Nick Bosa will line up against week 1. It's the reality of the NFL.
There is a shortage of quality offensive linemen coming out of college these days. It is a total crapshoot outside of the occasional "white buffalo" who is a bona-fide star offensive lineman. It's been this way for years now, there have been articles for at least a decade explaining how the college game has shifted towards spread offenses where guys aren't trained to hold their blocks for more than three seconds, so they come to the pros still needing development to get pro ready.
I thought, aside from Skule, the line was okay. Brendel, Banks, and Burford (sounds like a law firm) all looked pretty good overall.
Of course because the Bears are total contenders. They should sweep the NFC North. Because eeeeeevryone knows the Bears are the same as the Niners. LOL

So you'd prefer starting Yosh Njiman like the Packers? Or how about journeyman Geron Christian for the Chiefs. Or the ever dominant Josh Wells in Tampa.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Aug 15, 2022 at 9:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
There is a shortage of quality offensive linemen coming out of college these days. It is a total crapshoot outside of the occasional "white buffalo" who is a bona-fide star offensive lineman. It's been this way for years now, there have been articles for at least a decade explaining how the college game has shifted towards spread offenses where guys aren't trained to hold their blocks for more than three seconds, so they come to the pros still needing development to get pro ready.
I thought, aside from Skule, the line was okay. Brendel, Banks, and Burford (sounds like a law firm) all looked pretty good overall.

Been the same point in this thread for 3 years now. Nothing has changed. Nobody has depth.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Aug 15, 2022 at 9:46 PM ]

I just want to respond and say not everyone in the NFL from a coaching stand point believes this.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2463172-lack-of-offensive-line-development-in-nfl-falls-on-league-coaches.amp.html

LOL. We've had 6 full off seasons to recognize the annual injuries and draft/trade/buy accordingly.

Sometimes you just need to stack talent and keep trying until you've reached the standard.

Hopefully they've seen the light and attack it going forward. They're usually a year or two late in position group weakness recognition (WR, ER, QB, ER, CB, ST).
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 16, 2022 at 8:19 AM ]

Is the OL depth good, probably not, but I don't think it is bad either. If Banks, Burford, and Brendel are the starters, we have Brunskill, J Moore as depth. The other players such as Skule, McKivitz, and J Mills are on the bubble and may not make the team.

I would be more concern with the starter qualities. I am hopeful our youngsters Banks and Burford can hold up and get better as the season goes on.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Is the OL depth good, probably not, but I don't think it is bad either. If Banks, Burford, and Brendel are the starters, we have Brunskill, J Moore as depth. The other players such as Skule, McKivitz, and J Mills are on the bubble and may not make the team.

I would be more concern with the starter qualities. I am hopeful our youngsters Banks and Burford can hold up and get better as the season goes on.

Yea it's still hard to say for the oline until the season starts regarding Banks, Brendal, and Bruford. So far so good in the first pre season game but it's gonna be a big jump to the regular season. Moore and Brunskill are decent depth. Swing tackle is what scares me, Skule and Mckivitz just don't impress me much. Especially Skule. I think Mckivitz and Mills will be the back up tackles.
So you prefer making straw men arguments out of what I'm saying because Packers, Chiefs and Tampa don't look anything like this OL. Stop dude. And of course you cherry pick the worst of the three lol. I'm done. My bad didn't I stepped into your .. replies.

You JUST SAID don't compare us to the Bears, compare us to a contender. I do that and it's a straw man argument. Packers are full of low round picks who were unproven until they played. Same with Chiefs.
Chris Forester is a terrible coach and can't develop players

"Chris Forester is quoted agreeing with me on an issue in an article"

Listen to what Chris Forester says everyone on how much talent is out there!!!!!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I just want to respond and say not everyone in the NFL from a coaching stand point believes this.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2463172-lack-of-offensive-line-development-in-nfl-falls-on-league-coaches.amp.html

I agree. I think one of the problems is that the OLine has to have five guys operate as one unit. Integrating them and melding them into one unit is different from all other position groups like LB's, DLine, WR's and RB's. It takes a good coach to coach the individual and also coach the group as a whole.

Durability, i think, is a much bigger factor in this offense vs other offenses. Other offenses can plug and play (like power schemes) but in this offense that employs both zone and power, losing a guy like Richburg or McGlinchey to injury affects it more than most. I'm on board with Talent Stacking the OLine for that reason. You have to have that conveyor belt of talent to keep feeding the OLine squad.
Share 49ersWebzone