There are 254 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Just because people keep saying "it's league wide" and "there's a shortage of talent" doesn't make it so. It's NOT a universally held opinion throughout the NFL and even our OL coach doesn't believe that stuff. Listen to that interview that was posted above. If anything Forester believes there talent galore.

Read what I said carefully, and try to understand what it means. It is not that there isn't talent, it's that the talent is underdeveloped when it gets to the league so guys are having to be coached up to play in the NFL.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by cciowa:
going back to 2011,,, we keep saying,,, we HOPE they address pass protection.. but we just denying the issue and say things like.. hits on the qb and sacks are over rated... oh... a better qb like ck and jimmy will make it better.. we saw that theory blow up and now some posters are saying the damn same thing with trey

The qb's pocket presence on Friday made a tremendous difference. It was night and day from what we got from Jimmy/CJ/Nick. It's absolutely a factor.

Wouldn't you rather have a pass protection where your first-time starting QB isn't put into position where he has to transcend that?

We all know you can only dodge a train so long before it hits you. And quite honestly, he's got far more important things to worry about in Kyle's offense.

No other position is expected to transcend another positions responsibility...esp. on a regular basis.
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Yep the VERY early needs list for next year the way I see it are RT and safety.

It'll 100% be a RT. 9ers don't draft DB's in round 1 or 2.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Wow, it looks like the McG experiment is almost over. They didn't extend Mike's contract for a good reason, I think.

And C, even if Brendel plays well. Start training a rookie ASAP.

Agreed.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Wow, it looks like the McG experiment is almost over. They didn't extend Mike's contract for a good reason, I think.

Agree 💯%, AB81 says they have about 11 draft picks next year. If they draft well next year - like they did this year - that super bowl window should be open for next year too.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Wouldn't you rather have a pass protection where your first-time starting QB isn't put into position where he has to transcend that?

We all know you can only dodge a train so long before it hits you. And quite honestly, he's got far more important things to worry about in Kyle's offense.

No other position is expected to transcend another positions responsibility...esp. on a regular basis.

Well i recognize the guy who gave him the most issues in protection on Friday won't likely be on roster.

If he has to run around and make plays on a regular basis that's problematic. But if they can hold up like on the TD i'm good.
Agree 💯%, AB81 says they have about 11 draft picks next year. If they draft well next year - like they did this year - that super bowl window should be open for next year too.

Still early to tell how well they have drafted this year. Jackson Burford and Womack have shown promise but long ways to go.
Well i recognize the guy who gave him the most issues in protection on Friday won't likely be on roster.

If he has to run around and make plays on a regular basis that's problematic. But if they can hold up like on the TD i'm good.

I hear you. Yeah, it's more of a matter of degree, really.

It's still nice to know Trey CAN help as needed though.

The pressure rate was high but at least there were still lanes and areas to step up into.

Also, Trey's TTT was all the way down to 2.7s! That helps too. Exciting times.
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/11/2/16596392/offensive-line-crisis-league-midseason

Wasn't just Tom Cable

I hear you. Yeah, it's more of a matter of degree, really.

It's still nice to know Trey CAN help as needed though.

The pressure rate was high but at least there were still lanes and areas to step up into.

Also, Trey's TTT was all the way down to 2.7s! That helps too. Exciting times.

The majority of the time there have been lanes and areas to step up into. Jimmy Nick and CJ were just terrible at reading it. Was a breath of fresh air to see guys take the space and still make plays. That isn't "transcending" bad OL play, that's doing your part as the QB to pick up your teammates. Packers 3rd string QB was doing the same thing.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Aug 16, 2022 at 1:44 PM ]

The pass to Gray was because Trey didn't have to leave the pocket and had time to make the pass. This will not be a successful offense consistently if Trey is running around, likely to get hit hard (as he did in this last preseason game). It's simple: if you can prevent your QB from taking hits, why wouldn't you?

Further, this is a ground and pound offense. If they can't run and keep the clock moving, we are going to have problems sustaining offense. Just as we're getting better as a team, opposing coordinators have another year of film on the 49ers. I'm telling you everyone will evaluate the Green Bay film or the NFCCG film when it comes to the ground game.

The joint practices should be interesting.

Kyle's offense is not a gimmick offense. I don't have any concern that his offense will get figured out. Even if that happen, Kyle will be the you can trust to know how to make changes to countered whatever the defense throws at him.

The pass to Gray was because Trey didn't have to leave the pocket and had time to make the pass. This will not be a successful offense consistently if Trey is running around, likely to get hit hard (as he did in this last preseason game). It's simple: if you can prevent your QB from taking hits, why wouldn't you?

Further, this is a ground and pound offense. If they can't run and keep the clock moving, we are going to have problems sustaining offense. Just as we're getting better as a team, opposing coordinators have another year of film on the 49ers. I'm telling you everyone will evaluate the Green Bay film or the NFCCG film when it comes to the ground game.

The joint practices should be interesting.

This isnt ground and pound... that was the Rayegun and Harbaugh era. This is a zone/offtackle/modified PA bootleg offense. Mostert wasnt running A gaps for 20 yards at a time.

If Jimmy could hit deep balls consistently he would still be the starter. But if a QB cant throw outside the numbers the defense plays single high covering the middle and prepping for runs. Kudos to JG for still doing what he did when defenses knew what was coming but Shanny knew he could never unlock the full potential of his playbook without a QB that has an arm to attack every area of the field. Trey can stay in the pocket or run around all he wants as long as he connects with his receivers. It's not the Marino days anymore, Maholmes, Allen, Murray, WIlson, Jackson, Tannehill, even Rodgers to an extent runs around to hit that 3rd or 4th read. They all step up in the pocket then bounce out if that 3rd read isnt there waiting for someone to get open once they leave the tackle box.

Perfect no first round pick, RT in the 2nd and Safety in the 3rd. 😀
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
going back to 2011,,, we keep saying,,, we HOPE they address pass protection.. but we just denying the issue and say things like.. hits on the qb and sacks are over rated... oh... a better qb like ck and jimmy will make it better.. we saw that theory blow up and now some posters are saying the damn same thing with trey

The qb's pocket presence on Friday made a tremendous difference. It was night and day from what we got from Jimmy/CJ/Nick. It's absolutely a factor.

a good qb can only mask it so long as nc said. sooner or later they have to stand on thier own.. just like the days we had a below average secondary with an elite pass rush.... well sooner or later the secondary had to stand on thier own and it bit us in the ass vs the ravens,
Share 49ersWebzone