There are 187 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
going back to 2011,,, we keep saying,,, we HOPE they address pass protection.. but we just denying the issue and say things like.. hits on the qb and sacks are over rated... oh... a better qb like ck and jimmy will make it better.. we saw that theory blow up and now some posters are saying the damn same thing with trey

The qb's pocket presence on Friday made a tremendous difference. It was night and day from what we got from Jimmy/CJ/Nick. It's absolutely a factor.

Wouldn't you rather have a pass protection where your first-time starting QB isn't put into position where he has to transcend that?

We all know you can only dodge a train so long before it hits you. And quite honestly, he's got far more important things to worry about in Kyle's offense.

No other position is expected to transcend another positions responsibility...esp. on a regular basis.

a good qb can only mask it so long as nc said. sooner or later they have to stand on thier own.. just like the days we had a below average secondary with an elite pass rush.... well sooner or later the secondary had to stand on thier own and it bit us in the ass vs the ravens,

The below average secondary that had 1st tram all pro/pro bowl FS and pro bowl SS? Probably didn't help Justin Snith and Aldon Smith were shells of themselves due to injuries because the entire defense looked awful .
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
going back to 2011,,, we keep saying,,, we HOPE they address pass protection.. but we just denying the issue and say things like.. hits on the qb and sacks are over rated... oh... a better qb like ck and jimmy will make it better.. we saw that theory blow up and now some posters are saying the damn same thing with trey

The qb's pocket presence on Friday made a tremendous difference. It was night and day from what we got from Jimmy/CJ/Nick. It's absolutely a factor.

Wouldn't you rather have a pass protection where your first-time starting QB isn't put into position where he has to transcend that?

We all know you can only dodge a train so long before it hits you. And quite honestly, he's got far more important things to worry about in Kyle's offense.

No other position is expected to transcend another positions responsibility...esp. on a regular basis.

a good qb can only mask it so long as nc said. sooner or later they have to stand on thier own.. just like the days we had a below average secondary with an elite pass rush.... well sooner or later the secondary had to stand on thier own and it bit us in the ass vs the ravens,

The below average secondary that had 1st tram all pro/pro bowl FS and pro bowl SS? Probably didn't help Justin Snith and Aldon Smith were shells of themselves due to injuries because the entire defense looked awful .

they hit hard which is now illegal but struggled to cover... you proved my point.. injuries to the smith boys and brooks forced the secondary to stand on thier own and they were a miserable failure,........... against flaco... but maybe in am not giving flaco enough credit.. after all.. his team now would rather roll with him than trade for jimmy.... oh,,, talk to jh about the super bowl.. despite those injuries..... he had two elite guys in willis and bowman healthy but instead of coming after flaco he had them set around playing checkers in pass coverage.. once again cuz our secondary was exposed........ cks footwork for a while covered up a poor pass protection line... jimmy did the same... now we hear the same stuff... well trey will make it look better. thats a nice theory until he breaks a collar bone or tears a knee or worse running for his life
[ Edited by cciowa on Aug 16, 2022 at 6:10 PM ]
I don't feel mckivitz is awful. He shouldn't be starting and he isn't but I think he's an ok backup. NFL fans have crazy standards where every player on the roster has to perform as a decent and above starter or he should be cut
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

they hit hard which is now illegal but struggled to cover... you proved my point.. injuries to the smith boys and brooks forced the secondary to stand on thier own and they were a miserable failure,........... against flaco... but maybe in am not giving flaco enough credit.. after all.. his team now would rather roll with him than trade for jimmy.... oh,,, talk to jh about the super bowl.. despite those injuries..... he had two elite guys in willis and bowman healthy but instead of coming after flaco he had them set around playing checkers in pass coverage.. once again cuz our secondary was exposed........ cks footwork for a while covered up a poor pass protection line... jimmy did the same... now we hear the same stuff... well trey will make it look better. thats a nice theory until he breaks a collar bone or tears a knee or worse running for his life

They did in that game, but They didn't struggle in coverage that season.
I dont thing I proved any point. I specifically said the entire D (the entire team in fact) s**t the bed so to put it on the secondary is ludicrous imo
Originally posted by NinerGM:

The pass to Gray was because Trey didn't have to leave the pocket and had time to make the pass. This will not be a successful offense consistently if Trey is running around, likely to get hit hard (as he did in this last preseason game). It's simple: if you can prevent your QB from taking hits, why wouldn't you?

Further, this is a ground and pound offense. If they can't run and keep the clock moving, we are going to have problems sustaining offense. Just as we're getting better as a team, opposing coordinators have another year of film on the 49ers. I'm telling you everyone will evaluate the Green Bay film or the NFCCG film when it comes to the ground game.

The joint practices should be interesting.

Since when is outside zone ground and pound? That isnt what we do at all. We MIGHT try to bring a little of that back in if Sermon pans out but we are an edge rush team and have been since Kyle came through the door. I expect a steady diet of play action and bootleg off of that due to Lance's big arm and mobility... that will be the new wrinkle. There is no gimmick here, Kyle is going to ask the opposing safeties to guess if they need to come down hill or go into the back pedal and then scheme the ball to go where ever they aren't. Protection has to be good but not amazing. Just like always we are putting a premium on pulling guards who can get their ass to the edge, that is going to mean some protection issues here and there, it just does, there aren't that many guys who can do both reliably and nobody has more than one maybe two. Line play in the league just isn't as good as you all think it is.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Aug 17, 2022 at 5:54 AM ]
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by NinerGM:

The pass to Gray was because Trey didn't have to leave the pocket and had time to make the pass. This will not be a successful offense consistently if Trey is running around, likely to get hit hard (as he did in this last preseason game). It's simple: if you can prevent your QB from taking hits, why wouldn't you?

Further, this is a ground and pound offense. If they can't run and keep the clock moving, we are going to have problems sustaining offense. Just as we're getting better as a team, opposing coordinators have another year of film on the 49ers. I'm telling you everyone will evaluate the Green Bay film or the NFCCG film when it comes to the ground game.

The joint practices should be interesting.

Since when is outside zone ground and pound? That isnt what we do at all. We MIGHT try to bring a little of that back in if Sermon pans out but we are an edge rush team and have been since Kyle came through the door. I expect a steady diet of play action and bootleg off of that due to Lance's big arm and mobility... that will be the new wrinkle. There is no gimmick here, Kyle is going to ask the opposing safeties to guess if they need to come down hill or go into the back pedal and then scheme the ball to go where ever they aren't. Protection has to be good but not amazing. Just like always we are putting a premium on pulling guards who can get their ass to the edge, that is going to mean some protection issues here and there, it just does, there aren't that many guys who can do both reliably and nobody has more than one maybe two. Line play in the league just isn't as good as you all think it is.

I think he means it's just run-centric. Both HaRoman and Kyle were/are heavy run-centric with a complimentary passing game off its success.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 17, 2022 at 7:03 AM ]
How did the boys hold up today? And who were the boys?

Well you see Trent Williams is really good at football. Fill in the rest

Yes. I am interested in how well the 3 B's played today.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Looks like is was the expected starting line up minus MM for McKivitz
I'll guess that Brendal played well but not so for Burford, Banks and Mckivtz.

Originally posted by lamontb:

They need to stop forcing McKivitz. The dude blows. And Skule is even worse.

Thanks for the synopsis.
per Grant, Brendel got beat by a 3rd string DT.

Thanks for the synopsis.

Yea it's like instead of bringing in a swing tackle they just are gonna force a s**tty guard to be the swing tackle

Thanks for the synopsis.

Yea it's like instead of bringing in a swing tackle they just are gonna force a s**tty guard to be the swing tackle

Seriously!
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
per Grant, Brendel got beat by a 3rd string DT.

Let's see if they adjust and play better tomorrow now that they know they got their asses kicked. Man up.
Share 49ersWebzone