There are 183 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
If MM can't make it back in time for week 1 they should move Burford to RT. Easier to find someone on our roster to play guard than it is to find someone to play RT. I think this team has alot of guys that can play guard and be serviceable. Brunskill if he gets healthy has played RG, He played it last season. Jaylon Moore can play guard. Colton who is not good as a RT is more of a guard. I would try Burford out at RT against the Vikings on Saturday. Kyle should also try Poe out at center in that game. Though I think it's going to be Zakell who plays center on Saturday.

I'd rather they keep Buford where he is and ask Brunskill to play RT or the new guy we just signed last week.

Agree, Brunskill at RT would be ideal if McGlinchey's knee is a serious issue.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Also said Jason Poe looks great. Super athletic and his size gives him leverage all day. Get him reps at center god damnit!

We're good at LG , Trent , either Jaylon or Poe or west/Jeklj at RG, and depending on who plays RG, if McG can't cut it, then Jaylon, Poe, West or Jecklj or Brun at RT.

By rights we should be solid at everywhere but C. Yikes, we gotta get that fixed and pronto because that is new meat behind him and trey can't be hoping the ball is snapped properly. In game it was really hard to tell who was playing who at C…was it 1s on 3s or 2s on 2s or 3s on 1s?. Center is the ONE slot we just have to fix. If Poe can snap, (the kid is athletic as hell with great hands) , sure, give him a good shot at C. But jeez , we gotta get this one slot down solid.

If C can't get Qb the snap, we are double bat screwed. Kyle has to have a handle on who it is gonna be, and i hope it is a couple guys who can really play. But right now? C looks like the weakest slot on the team. C'mon coach, get the best guy there and get him to work.

IIRC , 2nd PS game is usually 2s and 3s, mainly. I hope we have our 1 out there at C, and if still undetermined, then give each guy equal snaps.
Gave up FOUR SACKS today.

This is like the NC bat signal.. we'll see if he arrives..
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Wouldn't you rather have a pass protection where your first-time starting QB isn't put into position where he has to transcend that?

We all know you can only dodge a train so long before it hits you. And quite honestly, he's got far more important things to worry about in Kyle's offense.

No other position is expected to transcend another positions responsibility...esp. on a regular basis.

The pass to Gray was because Trey didn't have to leave the pocket and had time to make the pass. This will not be a successful offense consistently if Trey is running around, likely to get hit hard (as he did in this last preseason game). It's simple: if you can prevent your QB from taking hits, why wouldn't you?

Further, this is a ground and pound offense. If they can't run and keep the clock moving, we are going to have problems sustaining offense. Just as we're getting better as a team, opposing coordinators have another year of film on the 49ers. I'm telling you everyone will evaluate the Green Bay film or the NFCCG film when it comes to the ground game.

The joint practices should be interesting.

Since when is outside zone ground and pound? That isnt what we do at all. We MIGHT try to bring a little of that back in if Sermon pans out but we are an edge rush team and have been since Kyle came through the door. I expect a steady diet of play action and bootleg off of that due to Lance's big arm and mobility... that will be the new wrinkle. There is no gimmick here, Kyle is going to ask the opposing safeties to guess if they need to come down hill or go into the back pedal and then scheme the ball to go where ever they aren't. Protection has to be good but not amazing. Just like always we are putting a premium on pulling guards who can get their ass to the edge, that is going to mean some protection issues here and there, it just does, there aren't that many guys who can do both reliably and nobody has more than one maybe two. Line play in the league just isn't as good as you all think it is.

I think he means it's just run-centric. Both HaRoman and Kyle were/are heavy run-centric with a complimentary passing game off its success.

That's exactly what I meant. Kyle will tell you that he perceives his team as TOUGH so ground and pound was just a sloppy way of talking about our run-first mentality. Does Kyle put a premium on pulling guards? Interesting. That's the first I've read that in this thread. CV in NT is that Kyle puts a premium on tackles. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for us to put a premium on guards.

We seem to lucked out with Buford and he fell to us because when I look at Skule and McKivitz - oof, we're not winning. Banks has been looking better but I'm betting still has a ways to go. I'm really impressed that Buford is forcing Brunskill to the bench or even may force him to compete at swing tackle.

TBF, the FO had a 3rd round grade on Burford and Scotty McDrunk had a 2nd. Banks was a 2nd. So there is legit talent there. But like MM said himself, G is the most demanding position on the team next to QB. So these young bucks have a lot to learn and a lot on their plates. It's going to take some time before we see what their ceilings are and how close they are to reaching them. Having help at C and T will be huge.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

okay you really got me there man. I'm shedding tears. LOL.

LMAO! That was a good one!
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by elguapo:
It was said during 11 on 11's we gave up 4 would be sacks. Not good

Not bad in my book, if they played the backup tackles and the rookie interior linemen against the Vikings 1's.
Only back up that started was McKivitz.

Colton is a 5th round pick, so I'm hoping he's another diamond in the rough that will develop into an all pro Tackle. If he has real talent, all he needs is more reps, like Trey. Hope hope.

If we just can't get decent pass protection we can win the Super Bowl. If not it's going to be a struggle. Maybe Brunskill can move to RT until MM is all good.
[ Edited by elguapo on Aug 17, 2022 at 4:57 PM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Not bad in my book, if they played the backup tackles and the rookie interior linemen against the Vikings 1's.

I mean outside of no McG that is our starters for the year...that's not good IMO. I also don't count two hand touch as a sack...Trey will move enough to make it harder to "sack" him then getting a hand on him.

Who gave up the pressures or would be sacks?

Bump. Legit question. Does anyone know?

I mean outside of no McG that is our starters for the year...that's not good IMO. I also don't count two hand touch as a sack...Trey will move enough to make it harder to "sack" him then getting a hand on him.

I still haven't heard any specifics either. Maybe on tomorrow's pods.

I still haven't heard any specifics either. Maybe on tomorrow's pods.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

okay you really got me there man. I'm shedding tears. LOL.

LMAO! That was a good one!

But seriously though. I am **very** concerned. That interior OL and the pressure coming from the right is a little scary. BENCH McKivitz please.

It's still really but it's a fair concern. One thing that I did notice last pre season game was that it wasn't a total jail break like usual...meaning, while one side would collapse, the middle and other side held enough to slide over to and through. Pre season last year with Trey he got sacked 5 times because there was no where to go. This time each QB had at least one lane.

It still disrupted the timing of the play but I'll take this to start.

• cciowa
  • Veteran

Colton is a 5th round pick, so I'm hoping he's another diamond in the rough that will develop into an all pro Tackle. If he has real talent, all he needs is more reps, like Trey. Hope hope.

If we just can't get decent pass protection we can win the Super Bowl. If not it's going to be a struggle. Maybe Brunskill can move to RT until MM is all good.

we will not compete for the division crown if the crappy pass protection continues.. and spare me people.. it takes time to jell... the possible probable quarterback of this team for the next 15 years who has good weapons is nothing without a good o line to protect him. when it sucked in otas.... people said.. its only otas.... when it sucked in the first days of practice... well its only the first day of practice. now it sucks i pre season and i am sure people will say.. well wait till the first game.. when it sucks the first game. they will say.. well we need to give em ten games to jell.. for gods sake
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Also said Jason Poe looks great. Super athletic and his size gives him leverage all day. Get him reps at center god damnit!

We're good at LG , Trent , either Jaylon or Poe or west/Jeklj at RG, and depending on who plays RG, if McG can't cut it, then Jaylon, Poe, West or Jecklj or Brun at RT.

By rights we should be solid at everywhere but C. Yikes, we gotta get that fixed and pronto because that is new meat behind him and trey can't be hoping the ball is snapped properly. In game it was really hard to tell who was playing who at C…was it 1s on 3s or 2s on 2s or 3s on 1s?. Center is the ONE slot we just have to fix. If Poe can snap, (the kid is athletic as hell with great hands) , sure, give him a good shot at C. But jeez , we gotta get this one slot down solid.

If C can't get Qb the snap, we are double bat screwed. Kyle has to have a handle on who it is gonna be, and i hope it is a couple guys who can really play. But right now? C looks like the weakest slot on the team. C'mon coach, get the best guy there and get him to work.

IIRC , 2nd PS game is usually 2s and 3s, mainly. I hope we have our 1 out there at C, and if still undetermined, then give each guy equal snaps.

I think we're as good as we're going to get with regards to the center position with Brendel and Brunskill, unless we get a trade or sign another free agent. Poe looks really good at guard when he played in the last game. We have some decent OLine talent - that hopefully can cross train at Right Tackle. Having said that, McGlinchey's knee has to be a concern if he's not able to go in the first game of the season. McKivitz is also in play - seems Foerster likes him for whatever reason.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I think once ShanaLynch settles in on the best 8 or 9+ OLinemen, they should improve throughout the season. Lance can see the right side of that line with his peripheral vision, the right side of that line just needs to be good enough to give Trey at least 2.5+ seconds in time to throw - to enable Kyle to use 90% of his playbook.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I think Brunskill at Right Tackle is better than Brunskill at Guard and Compton at Right Tackle. Assuming Burford wins the Right Guard spot.
I think Brunskill at Right Tackle is better than Brunskill at Guard and Compton at Right Tackle. Assuming Burford wins the Right Guard spot.

It's common sense but Kyle doesn't see it that way.
Share 49ersWebzone