Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
No, it's been confirmed he's not playing. In fact, it sounds like not many will play this game at all.

I was excited after the first game even with the regular pressures but I'm a bit concerned with that pattern after both Viking practices. A trend might be starting even though we should expect to see early season struggles while the OL gels...if it gels (and it should, barring injuries).

I believe you just answered your own question

It's really just a matter of degree, though. If they can keep the offense functional 'while' gelling, we're good. And then it's about hitting their strides and maintaining consistency at a higher level.

If guys like MM can't play and the pressure rate remains as high as it has thus far, it could render our offense useless.

That's where the concern lies.

If our defense is as good as we think it will be, we can just run the ball 75% of the time and throw screens and checkdowns the other 25%.

Thats what we've been doing throughout the entire Jimmy G era.

that would be fine with me... but unlike jimmy.. trey always has the potential for the big play
Originally posted by cciowa:
iOriginally posted by Hoovtrain:
No, it's been confirmed he's not playing. In fact, it sounds like not many will play this game at all.

I was excited after the first game even with the regular pressures but I'm a bit concerned with that pattern after both Viking practices. A trend might be starting even though we should expect to see early season struggles while the OL gels...if it gels (and it should, barring injuries).

i just hope trey does not pay the price of the line jelling

About 1 month away from your 1st trip to Levi's 🙂
forgot to tell you to check out the museum
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by YACBros85:

It's really just a matter of degree, though. If they can keep the offense functional 'while' gelling, we're good. And then it's about hitting their strides and maintaining consistency at a higher level.

If guys like MM can't play and the pressure rate remains as high as it has thus far, it could render our offense useless.

If our defense is as good as we think it will be, we can just run the ball 75% of the time and throw screens and checkdowns the other 25%.

Thats what we've been doing throughout the entire Jimmy G era.

that would be fine with me... but unlike jimmy.. trey always has the potential for the big play

Facts
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
iOriginally posted by Hoovtrain:

i just hope trey does not pay the price of the line jelling

About 1 month away from your 1st trip to Levi's 🙂
forgot to tell you to check out the museum

is it in the stadium? pm me cuz i do not want to derail this thread.... i know we will get there early to soak it all in.. where is the museum

What we have to this point is
-an OL that showed improvements, both in PP and RB, from beginning to end of internal TC
-looked decent in 1st preseason game
-having some struggles this week in joint practices. Which seems to also be exacerbated by folks using a Viking fan forum as a soundboard lol
-MM having knee "irritation" which is a legitimate concern, because by all accounts he looked great prior to being shelved and he's had knee issues in past. I do not want to see McKivitz as the starting RT, but sounds like he's next man up

TBF, our own sources and pods have confirmed the OL struggles too in both practices and we had a high pressure rate in the GB game too.

But the rest of what you said is spot on.

I'm still not coming close to the panic level but the initial concerns haven't been alleviated yet...consistent.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 19, 2022 at 9:37 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
TBF, our own sources and pods have confirmed the OL struggles too though in both practices and we had a high pressure rate in the GB game too.

But the rest of what you said is spot on. I'm still not coming close to the panic level but the initial concerns haven't been alleviated yet...consistent.

do you think we are correct is just assuming the line will be a good run blocking line?
TBF, our own sources and pods have confirmed the OL struggles too though in both practices and we had a high pressure rate in the GB game too.

But the rest of what you said is spot on. I'm still not coming close to the panic level but the initial concerns haven't been alleviated yet...consistent.

do you think we are correct is just assuming the line will be a good run blocking line?

Man, great question. It was the RB that did us in late last year. It's so hard to answer because of the new personnel. And it's going to be inside much more too. And I did like the inside run blocking a lot last game. Banks pulling was fun too.

But no, we shouldn't assume...
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 19, 2022 at 9:42 AM ]
TBF, our own sources and pods have confirmed the OL struggles too in both practices and we had a high pressure rate in the GB game too.

I'm still not coming close to the panic level but the initial concerns haven't been alleviated yet...consistent.

I said they struggled in joint practices. My point was using a fan forum as a point of reference is silly.
i didn't see a high pressure rate in GB. I did see that AB and JB gave up 0 pressures in their stint and that's key to me. Buford gave up some pressure, but that's to be expected. Frankly, unless pressures are happening every single play and adversely impacting the offense, I don't give a s**t. You could make the argument QBs are always under pressure . I just don't want to see the QB getting the s**t kicked out of him.
I said they struggled in joint practices. My point was using a fan forum as a point of reference is silly.
i didn't see a high pressure rate in GB. I did see that AB and JB gave up 0 pressures in their stint and that's key to me. Buford gave up some pressure, but that's to be expected. Frankly, unless pressures are happening every single play and adversely impacting the offense, I don't give a s**t. You could make the argument QBs are always under pressure . I just don't want to see the QB getting the s**t kicked out of him.

Couple of the pressures that Burford gave up he recovered and pushed his man past the qb as well.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Couple of the pressures that Burford gave up he recovered and pushed his man past the qb as well.
Exactly and that's some context that goes into what constitutes a pressure. I'm not acting like I think all is fine and dandy with the OL, but to ring the panic bell at this point is not something I'm going to do.

• cciowa
  • Veteran

Man, great question. It was the RB that did us in late last year. It's so hard to answer because of the new personnel. And it's going to be inside much more too. And I did like the inside run blocking a lot last game. Banks pulling was fun too.

But no, we shouldn't assume...

i guess we just assume the run blocking will be good.. man if we struggle to pass protect, and then on top of it.. we have a negative surprise with the run blocking... ok... i need to step back from the ledge... sus had a picture once of a cat jumping off the ledge. that just popped into my mind.

True true!

What you saw was each of the 3 QB's escaping the pressures! That's new, huh? But that also means pressure usually came from one area vs. the collective turnstile we're used to seeing. So while it was high there was still a place to step to which is great.

You sound like you're just used to our pressure rates over the years. Haha. Let's hope that changes this year for Trey's sake.
R E L A X lol
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Exactly and that's some context that goes into what constitutes a pressure. I'm not acting like I think all is fine and dandy with the OL, but to ring the panic bell at this point is not something I'm going to do.

hoov is a calming influence in cc's world of multiple personalities . takes a long time for me to fill out my name tags

True true!

What you saw was each of the 3 QB's escaping the pressures! That's new, huh? But that also means pressure usually came from one area vs. the collective turnstile we're used to seeing. So while it was high there was still a place to step to which is great.

You sound like you're just used to our pressure rates over the years. Haha. Let's hope that changes this year for Trey's sake.

You have to be encouraged by Burfords run blocking at least. Which again... run blocking is my biggest concern. Without our run game it wont matter how proficient we are in pass protection. Trey would struggle.

Share 49ersWebzone