There are 195 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I think we tend to live in our own bubble and think that when we have Oline concerns, People think were alone in that regard. 90% of the teams in the league have these same concerns. Good Olinemen are not easy to find in this league. You almost need a top 15 pick or hope to get lucky. And still, That's only one guy. And then you have the salary cap which makes it pretty impossible to not have multiple concerns on the Oline.

100% true. Not to say that they shouldn't strive to get better but it's much more difficult than posters here think it is. Philly is the only NFC contender that has any semblance of OT depth and that's mostly because their 1st rounder Dillard has disappointed.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Curious to see where they mix in J. Moore this week.

And there it is...the season.

j/k...kind of.

Well, I'm hoping McKivitz does a 180° and dominates this Thursday.
Originally posted by Giedi:

j/k...kind of.

Moving to RT...hopefully not as bad as LT.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I think we tend to live in our own bubble and think that when we have Oline concerns, People think were alone in that regard. 90% of the teams in the league have these same concerns. Good Olinemen are not easy to find in this league. You almost need a top 15 pick or hope to get lucky. And still, That's only one guy. And then you have the salary cap which makes it pretty impossible to not have multiple concerns on the Oline.

100% true. Not to say that they shouldn't strive to get better but it's much more difficult than posters here think it is. Philly is the only NFC contender that has any semblance of OT depth and that's mostly because their 1st rounder Dillard has disappointed.

In a nutshell.
No but you did say it was good enough when it clearly wasn't. You seem to be going down that same road with McKivitz and pivoting to gross generalizations again.

Do you REALLY think there was no way to upgrade over a dude like McKivitz? Particularly in a known year (again) that your RT has health issues?

Like GM noted, the OL are still talented coming into the league. Some still hit the ground running. The issue is prioritization, development and coaching. But we had 6 years for that.

Who would you have signed? Who's the upgrade?

I bring up the rest of the league because couldn't you say the same about Yosh Njiman in Green Bay? Hell both Packer OTs are coming off injury. Or Josh Wells in Tampa? Or the collection of crap that the Texans just dominated from the Rams? So if the majority has the same exact issue it begs the question on whether it's as easy as you guys suggest doesn't it?

And they'll pay for that. Just like the Rams. And Bucs too. Watch.

It's only an issue when you keep under prioritizing it. There's no magic here. When you invest in it over 6 years, chances are, it'll get better. The FO has chosen consciously to rely on these kinds of players living in the 4th-UDFA realms. And this was while knowing their annual injury issues. They paint themselves into their own corner/messes (Richburg, Mack, Person/Compton, McGlinchey).

There's been plenty of opportunities to flip that mindset and upgrade over a grocery long list of subpar OL.

At least we have a QB who can help. So that's one step.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 21, 2022 at 5:53 PM ]
No but you did say it was good enough when it clearly wasn't. You seem to be going down that same road with McKivitz and pivoting to gross generalizations again.

Do you REALLY think there was no way to upgrade over a dude like McKivitz? Particularly in a known year (again) that your RT has health issues?

Like GM noted, the OL are still talented coming into the league. Some still hit the ground running. The issue is prioritization, development and coaching. But we had 6 years for that.

Who would you have signed? Who's the upgrade?

I bring up the rest of the league because couldn't you say the same about Yosh Njiman in Green Bay? Hell both Packer OTs are coming off injury. Or Josh Wells in Tampa? Or the collection of crap that the Texans just dominated from the Rams? So if the majority has the same exact issue it begs the question on whether it's as easy as you guys suggest doesn't it?

It's only an issue when you keep under prioritizing it. There's no magic here. When you invest in it over 6 years, chances are, it'll get better. The FO has chosen consciously to rely on these kinds of players living in the 4th-UDFA realms. And this was while knowing their annual injury issues. They paint themselves into their own corner/messes (Richburg, Mack, Person/Compton, McGlinchey).

There's been plenty of opportunities to flip that mindset and upgrade over a grocery long list of subpar OL.

All teams do. If you don't win the SB its because the team could not overcome one or two weak position groups. Our weak position groups have been O line and secondary. Looks like we have done a good job to stengthen the secondary the past couple of off seasons. We also went out and got 2 guards with a lot of potential. TW has at least 2-3 years left in him. I am counting on them to invest in OT the next couple of drafts. If we hit on one or two of those, we are set at O line.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

This is the second week I thought West has looked better than Sutherland.
We aren't the only team having problems with our offensive line. It's a common problem around the league.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Haven't seen much about Southerland other than he had 2 pressures and 1 qB hit…but except for that one stunt and Southerland never saw it with QB hit. Other than that, it looked like he did alright at C. If someone isolated on him, please let's hear it.

He was terrible bro. Gets pushed backwards on every snap.

It's only an issue when you keep under prioritizing it. There's no magic here.

To NFCCG appearances in 3 years. A hair away from 2 SB appearances in 3 years. Rated the 3rd best OL by PFF last year.

All signs point towards a staff that is plenty competent and knows what they are doing in regards to managing the OLine. Hard to argue with the results and as of now there's no need or cause for alarm.

So we are clear it's your assertion that every single nfc contending team is under prioritizing the o line?
Originally posted by random49er:
To NFCCG appearances in 3 years. A hair away from 2 SB appearances in 3 years. Rated the 3rd best OL by PFF last year.

All signs point towards a staff that is plenty competent and knows what they are doing in regards to managing the OLine. Hard to argue with the results and as of now there's no need or cause for alarm.

Those are fighting words in this thread. Guess you haven't heard that the o line is a mess and is unquestionably doomed for failure this season.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

j/k...kind of.

Moving to RT...hopefully not as bad as LT.

I'm hoping more reps will even out his play. McGlinchey is out apparently this week and next, after his knee irritation and knee treatment. If McGlinchey can come back and play - this will be a good group of OTs untill next years draft.

If McGlinchey is out for a significant time, I think you have to throw talent at this problem and hope more reps clear it out. (Move Poe to RG and move Burford to RT, for example). In other words, hope talent plus Foerster's coaching makes up the loss of McGlinchey and lack of good OT depth.
Is McGlinchey supposed to be back for Week 1? Can't believe he was the #9 overall pick - dude has been so mediocre as a pass blocker and OK as a run blocker.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Is McGlinchey supposed to be back for Week 1? Can't believe he was the #9 overall pick - dude has been so mediocre as a pass blocker and OK as a run blocker.

Personally, I'm more upset about his lack of durability. In a possible 22+ week season - durability becomes much more important than talent, in a lot of ways. I'd be more than happy with his superior run blocking and average pass protections skills - if he was as durable as Trent Williams.
Share 49ersWebzone