Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
personally, if McG can't go Wk1 I'd like Brunskill out there at RT

LT-Trent
LG-Banks
C-Brendel
RG-Burford
RT-Brunskill

I really wish they would have given Brunskill snaps at RT last game instead of playing Mills the entire game. Now we're moving McKivitz to RT from LT. Scary.

I mean McKivitz has played RT. We will see what's up with McG, I'm guessing it's more precautionary then anything

He is the swing-T for a reason. It can't be any worse than LT. LOL
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
While it may have not been a top priority over the first 2 off seasons or so, they have invested in the O line over the last 2-3. I believe Banks and Burford will prove that. Nothing about Brendel has me worried and we have TW anchoring the blindside. The only position I am concerned about is RT and that is solely because of MM's health. You keep trying to knock the FO for not making the O line a top priority early on in its regime. I refuse to include those first couple of years because they were tasked with a s**t load of holes to fill.

Agreed. We traded for Trent Williams and gave him a huge contract and have invested early draft picks. Just because they aren't ready day 1 and need some development doesn't mean we aren't investing in position

The most common argument is C but who would you have drafted and where? You could make a legit argument that we could have gotten Creed Humphery in the 2nd round last year instead of Banks but last year we had Mack and OG was a far bigger need

The bigger issue is sitting around banking on players such as Richburg, Person, Mack, McGlinchey, etc. instead of just creating their own destiny and insurance. And every time they've been burned. They might be burned twice this year alone (Mack + McGlinchey).
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
No but you did say it was good enough when it clearly wasn't. You seem to be going down that same road with McKivitz and pivoting to gross generalizations again.

Do you REALLY think there was no way to upgrade over a dude like McKivitz? Particularly in a known year (again) that your RT has health issues?

Like GM noted, the OL are still talented coming into the league. Some still hit the ground running. The issue is prioritization, development and coaching. But we had 6 years for that.

Who would you have signed? Who's the upgrade?

I bring up the rest of the league because couldn't you say the same about Yosh Njiman in Green Bay? Hell both Packer OTs are coming off injury. Or Josh Wells in Tampa? Or the collection of crap that the Texans just dominated from the Rams? So if the majority has the same exact issue it begs the question on whether it's as easy as you guys suggest doesn't it?

And they'll pay for that. Just like the Rams. And Bucs too. Watch.

It's only an issue when you keep under prioritizing it. There's no magic here. When you invest in it over 6 years, chances are, it'll get better. The FO has chosen consciously to rely on these kinds of players living in the 4th-UDFA realms. And this was while knowing their annual injury issues. They paint themselves into their own corner/messes (Richburg, Mack, Person/Compton, McGlinchey).

There's been plenty of opportunities to flip that mindset and upgrade over a grocery long list of subpar OL.

At least we have a QB who can help. So that's one step.

All teams do. If you don't win the SB its because the team could not overcome one or two weak position groups. Our weak position groups have been O line and secondary. Looks like we have done a good job to stengthen the secondary the past couple of off seasons. We also went out and got 2 guards with a lot of potential. TW has at least 2-3 years left in him. I am counting on them to invest in OT the next couple of drafts. If we hit on one or two of those, we are set at O line.

Let's not overgeneralize. Let's focus on us and what we know. Like you alluded too; these are conscious choices. Team building strategies. Confirmed.

There were no secrets about Richburg's health and health history. The level of play of players like Brunskill, Person, McKivitz, Skule, etc. Or the health of MM and the very real possibility of Mack retiring. None of these things were unknowns or caught the team by surprise.

So when it naturally, doesn't pan out, pivoting to 'other teams' and their unique situations isn't fair or relevant to the real world topic here.

As to your hope for more focus on T's and C's next year, you know I share that with you as we all do. The key will be their own ID of a high quality C and T first...and then going and getting that player. Then developing him.

As much as you like to put this FO in a vacuum, the truth is all teams deal with the task of overcoming weak position groups. Sorry if that bothers you and that you refuse to accept it.

We're here because we know it is the weakness and has been consistently annually. It's a pattern. And conscious choices.

I understand every team has their weaker position groups; even Superbowl winners.

But this FO has had more than enough time to make this unit a strength by now and one that doesn't fall apart in the playoffs when we need it most. IMHO, of course.

While it may have not been a top priority over the first 2 off seasons or so, they have invested in the O line over the last 2-3. I believe Banks and Burford will prove that. Nothing about Brendel has me worried and we have TW anchoring the blindside. The only position I am concerned about is RT and that is solely because of MM's health. You keep trying to knock the FO for not making the O line a top priority early on in its regime. I refuse to include those first couple of years because they were tasked with a s**t load of holes to fill.

Well they did draft Mike McGlinchey and trade big Trent Williams right out of the gate. Bought Richburg. So they were trying. No need to go to extremes. I never implied they fully ignored it. It was always a solid, competitive group. But by now, 6 years, it should also be a strength esp. given it cost us twice and Trey's first year and it's a guaranteed unit to sustain key injuries at key times.

There's always a chance it could become a top unit by years end too. If not, hopefully it will play well enough where the FO has its work cut out for them next off season to complete it.

My take is not extreme when you keep bringing up 6 years. That to me is what is extreme. They brought in Trent when Joe retired. They did draft MM. Unfortunately that hasn't worked out and just so happens to be my biggest concern going into this season. MM is most likely gone after this season and I find it hard to believe that they will not address the position next off season. The unit may not be complete by seasons end because of reasons I have stated but I don't think we are as far off as some folks on here believe. If we can solidify that RT spot next off season, the unit could end up being a real powerhouse in 2023.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
No but you did say it was good enough when it clearly wasn't. You seem to be going down that same road with McKivitz and pivoting to gross generalizations again.

Do you REALLY think there was no way to upgrade over a dude like McKivitz? Particularly in a known year (again) that your RT has health issues?

Like GM noted, the OL are still talented coming into the league. Some still hit the ground running. The issue is prioritization, development and coaching. But we had 6 years for that.

I bring up the rest of the league because couldn't you say the same about Yosh Njiman in Green Bay? Hell both Packer OTs are coming off injury. Or Josh Wells in Tampa? Or the collection of crap that the Texans just dominated from the Rams? So if the majority has the same exact issue it begs the question on whether it's as easy as you guys suggest doesn't it?

It's only an issue when you keep under prioritizing it. There's no magic here. When you invest in it over 6 years, chances are, it'll get better. The FO has chosen consciously to rely on these kinds of players living in the 4th-UDFA realms. And this was while knowing their annual injury issues. They paint themselves into their own corner/messes (Richburg, Mack, Person/Compton, McGlinchey).

There's been plenty of opportunities to flip that mindset and upgrade over a grocery long list of subpar OL.

All teams do. If you don't win the SB its because the team could not overcome one or two weak position groups. Our weak position groups have been O line and secondary. Looks like we have done a good job to stengthen the secondary the past couple of off seasons. We also went out and got 2 guards with a lot of potential. TW has at least 2-3 years left in him. I am counting on them to invest in OT the next couple of drafts. If we hit on one or two of those, we are set at O line.

Let's not overgeneralize. Let's focus on us and what we know. Like you alluded too; these are conscious choices. Team building strategies. Confirmed.

There were no secrets about Richburg's health and health history. The level of play of players like Brunskill, Person, McKivitz, Skule, etc. Or the health of MM and the very real possibility of Mack retiring. None of these things were unknowns or caught the team by surprise.

So when it naturally, doesn't pan out, pivoting to 'other teams' and their unique situations isn't fair or relevant to the real world topic here.

As to your hope for more focus on T's and C's next year, you know I share that with you as we all do. The key will be their own ID of a high quality C and T first...and then going and getting that player. Then developing him.

As much as you like to put this FO in a vacuum, the truth is all teams deal with the task of overcoming weak position groups. Sorry if that bothers you and that you refuse to accept it.

We're here because we know it is the weakness and has been consistently annually. It's a pattern. And conscious choices.

I understand every team has their weaker position groups; even Superbowl winners.

But this FO has had more than enough time to make this unit a strength by now and one that doesn't fall apart in the playoffs when we need it most. IMHO, of course.

This definitely is a rebuilding year for the OLine. With Mack retiring, McGlinchey in limbo with his severe knee injury, losing Laken, getting rid of Compton, and moving Brunskill to better suit his talents - pretty much the whole line (except for Trent Williams) is in flux.

I think the Williams/ Banks/ Brendel/ Burford/ Brunskill (Danke NY85!) experimental set up has good potential for working out. I think the next challenge really is just finding the backups now.

Poe, McKivitz, Moore, Skule, West and McGlinchey are bringing up the backup reinforcements. I wish we had two more OLinemen vs TDP or Sermon, but it is what it is. I think the lesson they should learn is that they should be drafting OLinemen in day 2, DLinemen in day 1, and RBs in day 4.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
personally, if McG can't go Wk1 I'd like Brunskill out there at RT

LT-Trent
LG-Banks
C-Brendel
RG-Burford
RT-Brunskill

Same. I think there's legit reason for optimism about the current IOL group and Trent is Trent. If RT stabilizes this could be a solid unit.

Yes this looks like a BIG IF today... and to call the depth questionable is an understatement. If McGlinchey's knee doesn't respond, and we start playing musical chairs at RT, the OL play could go from a headwind at best to kneecapping the season in a high leverage situation at worst.

But I'll remain remain optimistic (at least through this week) because that's how I roll.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Agreed. We traded for Trent Williams and gave him a huge contract and have invested early draft picks. Just because they aren't ready day 1 and need some development doesn't mean we aren't investing in position

The most common argument is C but who would you have drafted and where? You could make a legit argument that we could have gotten Creed Humphery in the 2nd round last year instead of Banks but last year we had Mack and OG was a far bigger need

The bigger issue is sitting around banking on players such as Richburg, Person, Mack, McGlinchey, etc. instead of just creating their own destiny and insurance. And every time they've been burned. They might be burned twice this year alone (Mack + McGlinchey).
My hope is they continue the two year tradition of using 2 draft picks on the offensive line - next year. I think just as they traditonally pick a defensive lineman in day 1, they should pick two offensive linemen - one in day 2, and one in day 3. Demeco is going to be a HC next year if we make the playoffs, and hopefully - if Fangio becomes DC, that will stop the revolving DC door for a while. That will add some additional day 2 picks next year potentially. We can use some of that for the OLine. The year after - Anthony Lynn becomez a HC, more picks, rinse and repeat.

Well they did draft Mike McGlinchey and trade big Trent Williams right out of the gate. Bought Richburg. So they were trying. No need to go to extremes. I never implied they fully ignored it. It was always a solid, competitive group. But by now, 6 years, it should also be a strength esp. given it cost us twice and Trey's first year and it's a guaranteed unit to sustain key injuries at key times.

There's always a chance it could become a top unit by years end too. If not, hopefully it will play well enough where the FO has its work cut out for them next off season to complete it.

My take is not extreme when you keep bringing up 6 years. That to me is what is extreme. They brought in Trent when Joe retired. They did draft MM. Unfortunately that hasn't worked out and just so happens to be my biggest concern going into this season. MM is most likely gone after this season and I find it hard to believe that they will not address the position next off season. The unit may not be complete by seasons end because of reasons I have stated but I don't think we are as far off as some folks on here believe. If we can solidify that RT spot next off season, the unit could end up being a real powerhouse in 2023.

Many FO's and HC's don't get 6 years. That's why I reference it.

And yes, love the optimism. My point isn't so much the possibilities in 2023 but why we're here today.

Let's just sit back and see how this goes now.

And yes, love the optimism. My point isn't so much the possibilities in 2023 but why we're here today.

That is about all we can do, brotha.
Originally posted by Giedi:

This definitely is a rebuilding year for the OLine. With Mack retiring, McGlinchey in limbo with his severe knee injury, losing Laken, getting rid of Compton, and moving Brunskill to better suit his talents - pretty much the whole line (except for Trent Williams) is in flux.

I think the Williams/ Banks/ Brendel/ Burford/ Brunskill (Danke NY85!) experimental set up has good potential for working out. I think the next challenge really is just finding the backups now.

Poe, McKivitz, Moore, Skule, West and McGlinchey are bringing up the backup reinforcements. I wish we had two more OLinemen vs TDP or Sermon, but it is what it is. I think the lesson they should learn is that they should be drafting OLinemen in day 2, DLinemen in day 1, and RBs in day 4.

Totally. It absolutely could work out just fine. Or we find we just need to upgrade one spot next year...ideal!

That is about all we can do, brotha.

And analyze the hell out of their play.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 22, 2022 at 8:52 AM ]

Originally posted by Giedi:
My hope is they continue the two year tradition of using 2 draft picks on the offensive line - next year. I think just as they traditonally pick a defensive lineman in day 1, they should pick two offensive linemen - one in day 2, and one in day 3. Demeco is going to be a HC next year if we make the playoffs, and hopefully - if Fangio becomes DC, that will stop the revolving DC door for a while. That will add some additional day 2 picks next year potentially. We can use some of that for the OLine. The year after - Anthony Lynn becomez a HC, more picks, rinse and repeat.

Haha. Love it!!!!

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!,
Don't know what SB some of you watched (as Chris Jones manhandled our ENTIRE IOL, Singlehandedly), or if we just wanna see Tray Lance hurt and we turn to Purdy and Sudfeld get us to the layoffs, or what BUT WE NEED A COMPETENT CENTER. We can get by with the 2 young Guards, and RT are easier to replace/sub for than LT, so we should be good der, But C is goona implode our offense from the inside -out!
What is the deepest roster we've had in 6 years still has questions on the O Line. What will overshadow the depth this year is 47 free agents next offseason. We will likely need to address the line, while also shoring up depth across the roster.

I can sorta understand that perspective. But you need to also grant that it is EXTREMELY difficult to develop an OL that is the strength of the team. How many teams is the OL the strength of the team right now? 3 maybe?

I'm hopeful they finally have a QB who won't fall apart in the playoffs when we need him most. To me thats the gamechanger that makes up for the rest, like it did for KC in 2019.

I can sorta understand that perspective. But you need to also grant that it is EXTREMELY difficult to develop an OL that is the strength of the team. How many teams is the OL the strength of the team right now? 3 maybe?

I'm hopeful they finally have a QB who won't fall apart in the playoffs when we need him most. To me thats the gamechanger that makes up for the rest, like it did for KC in 2019.

Oh no doubt. It's not easy by any means and probably harder here because of the load on that group and the need for legit depth with the annual injuries. They would really need to beef up the resources to get there but was hoping they'd already have several homegrown higher end cheaper talent by now so it would be far easier to supplement in FA (if needed).

And no doubt, Trey is going to do his best to help. You're already seeing it!
Share 49ersWebzone