LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 239 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by NCommand:
We're here because we know it is the weakness and has been consistently annually. It's a pattern. And conscious choices.

I understand every team has their weaker position groups; even Superbowl winners.

But this FO has had more than enough time to make this unit a strength by now and one that doesn't fall apart in the playoffs when we need it most. IMHO, of course.

I can sorta understand that perspective. But you need to also grant that it is EXTREMELY difficult to develop an OL that is the strength of the team. How many teams is the OL the strength of the team right now? 3 maybe?

I'm hopeful they finally have a QB who won't fall apart in the playoffs when we need him most. To me thats the gamechanger that makes up for the rest, like it did for KC in 2019.

It's interesting... the offensive line isn't something that feels like we've invested in, but when you think about it:

Trent Williams --- Acquired via trade and paid big money on contract extension. (We were very fortunate here that we were able to trade for him!)
Aaron Banks --- 2nd Round pick
Spencer Burford --- 4th Round pick
Mike McGlinchey --- 1st round pick
Jake Brendel --- Free Agent
Daniel Brunskill --- Free Agent

We've invested draft capital and brought in free agents like Weston Richburg, Laken Tomlinson, and Alex Mack. Our draft choices look much better for us IF Aaron Banks and Spencer Burford pan out, and Mike McGlinchey returns to form.

For better or worse, I just think that the profile of what the 49ers look for in offensive linemen is that their first priority is to get smart offensive linemen that can execute the complex run-blocking schemes.
Originally posted by Wubbie:
It's interesting... the offensive line isn't something that feels like we've invested in, but when you think about it:

Trent Williams --- Acquired via trade and paid big money on contract extension. (We were very fortunate here that we were able to trade for him!)
Aaron Banks --- 2nd Round pick
Spencer Burford --- 4th Round pick
Mike McGlinchey --- 1st round pick
Jake Brendel --- Free Agent
Daniel Brunskill --- Free Agent

We've invested draft capital and brought in free agents like Weston Richburg, Laken Tomlinson, and Alex Mack. Our draft choices look much better for us IF Aaron Banks and Spencer Burford pan out, and Mike McGlinchey returns to form.

For better or worse, I just think that the profile of what the 49ers look for in offensive linemen is that their first priority is to get smart offensive linemen that can execute the complex run-blocking schemes.

Gonna end up adding Poe and West to that group too IMO. West needs to sprain his pinky toe week 3 so he can go on IR for the year.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
While it may have not been a top priority over the first 2 off seasons or so, they have invested in the O line over the last 2-3. I believe Banks and Burford will prove that. Nothing about Brendel has me worried and we have TW anchoring the blindside. The only position I am concerned about is RT and that is solely because of MM's health. You keep trying to knock the FO for not making the O line a top priority early on in its regime. I refuse to include those first couple of years because they were tasked with a s**t load of holes to fill.

Agreed. We traded for Trent Williams and gave him a huge contract and have invested early draft picks. Just because they aren't ready day 1 and need some development doesn't mean we aren't investing in position

The most common argument is C but who would you have drafted and where? You could make a legit argument that we could have gotten Creed Humphery in the 2nd round last year instead of Banks but last year we had Mack and OG was a far bigger need

The bigger issue is sitting around banking on players such as Richburg, Person, Mack, McGlinchey, etc. instead of just creating their own destiny and insurance. And every time they've been burned. They might be burned twice this year alone (Mack + McGlinchey).

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!,
Don't know what SB some of you watched (as Chris Jones manhandled our ENTIRE IOL, Singlehandedly), or if we just wanna see Tray Lance hurt and we turn to Purdy and Sudfeld get us to the layoffs, or what BUT WE NEED A COMPETENT CENTER. We can get by with the 2 young Guards, and RT are easier to replace/sub for than LT, so we should be good der, But C is goona implode our offense from the inside -out!

Im not panicking on the center positon just yet. Brendel looked decent, Brunskill has experience, and West is an unknown (at least to me) at this point. The center positon needs more smarts than physical talent, in a sense, because he's generally helping vs the Guards who are usually head up on a DLineman. Jimmy is going to be let go and he'll clear 25+ million in cap space for a possible mid-season trade. Maybe that will go to a backup Center or promising young right tackle, and move Brunskill back to center if Brendel doesn't hold up for the season.
Gonna end up adding Poe and West to that group too IMO. West needs to sprain his pinky toe week 3 so he can go on IR for the year.

Poe seems to be passing West by.

I'd be great if both of them developed into starters
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

He has. Which is why Poe should be on the roster and West stashed with an "injury".

Remains to be seen if either are starters long term. Both will be great depth potentially though.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

He has. Which is why Poe should be on the roster and West stashed with an "injury".

Remains to be seen if either are starters long term. Both will be great depth potentially though.
Those two play different positions West at Center and Poe at Guard

west has the most guaranteed out of all UDFAs.. so there is a plan for him
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 22, 2022 at 12:29 PM ]

Poe has a legit shot at making the team too.
Patriots looking to trade Isaiah Wynn... does he make sense for the 49ers? He is a Tackle but is the size of a Guard... I'm actually feeling ok with the Guards but not Center

Originally posted by NYniner85:

no no no.. he's a scrub remember
Originally posted by Brucey72:
Patriots looking to trade Isaiah Wynn... does he make sense for the 49ers? He is a Tackle but is the size of a Guard... I'm actually feeling ok with the Guards but not Center

I'm pretty sure he could rock RT for us

Isaiah for Jimmy, straight up.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Isaiah for Jimmy, straight up.

Is he better than McGlinchey? I'm not even going to pretend to know how good the Patriots lineman are
Share 49ersWebzone