49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
We're here because we know it is the weakness and has been consistently annually. It's a pattern. And conscious choices.

I understand every team has their weaker position groups; even Superbowl winners.

But this FO has had more than enough time to make this unit a strength by now and one that doesn't fall apart in the playoffs when we need it most. IMHO, of course.

I can sorta understand that perspective. But you need to also grant that it is EXTREMELY difficult to develop an OL that is the strength of the team. How many teams is the OL the strength of the team right now? 3 maybe?

I'm hopeful they finally have a QB who won't fall apart in the playoffs when we need him most. To me thats the gamechanger that makes up for the rest, like it did for KC in 2019.

Oh no doubt. It's not easy by any means and probably harder here because of the load on that group and the need for legit depth with the annual injuries. They would really need to beef up the resources to get there but was hoping they'd already have several homegrown higher end cheaper talent by now so it would be far easier to supplement in FA (if needed).

And no doubt, Trey is going to do his best to help. You're already seeing it!

It's EXREMELY hard to build a championship contending NFL team and sustain that window for more than 2 seasons. The OL isn't suddenly different from what the NFL has been doing for 40 years. Literally the best OL coaches have said so, quoting them. It's not that it's easy, but let's LISTEN to those gurus who spell out how to develop a good o-line in today's NFL. Just like with any other position group, you can't let it go unaccountable regardless of the method in which a team thinks its investing, and again it's not just talent, it's development (coaching). I've not determined the team will be bad, what HAVE determined from experience with this coaching style and scheme is that its hard for it to win a championship when it has issues up front on the offensive side. Twice we've seen that now. We'll compete and will win a lot of games IF we can sustain our running game. We've lost 3 starters on the OL and folks are making it as needed proof they can play at the NFL contending level and having skepticism should be expected.

Absolutely right Trey is going to help, but Trey's going to need help and his best friend will be that running game.

Agree 💯%, It's hard to build a championship team *period* and it's every position group, not just the OLine. Whether it was this era or past eras, the so called Dynasty Niners had 20+ playoff appearances and only five super bowls to show for it. One year we were 13-2 and were one and done in the playoffs because of *one* man - Blubber Paris.

Hopefully Foerster, or one of his assistant coaches, is the 2nd coming of McKittrick, but - even McKittrick needed Harris Barton, Steve Wallace, and Guy McKintyre level talent to protect Joe. I think the fact that they got Burford, Poe, and Banks is a good start to rebuilding that OLine that's been depleted of talent. I'm hoping they continue the OLine rebuild into 2023 and beyond, simply because the cap is very well designed to take away a playoff teams OLine depth.
On health,...What's up with all the Bucs OL health issues? Did they borrow our training staff for a month?
  • fan49
  • Veteran
If poe ends up starting that would be an upgrade at lg. you don't just come undrafted and earn a starting role anfter first trading camp unless you're really good. Or banks is really bad
[ Edited by fan49 on Aug 22, 2022 at 7:42 PM ]
Let me just say when banks was drafted in the 2nd round that I had no clue who he was. When I looked him up as a draft prospect I saw ranked as 4/5th rounder: Ambry Thomas reach, Sermon trade up bust, TDP this reach reach.

Banks didn't play last year. Wasn't shocked. Burford outplaying him no surprise. Poe beating him out won't either. If banks never develops like the Stanford GAURD Bust who's name I've thankfully forgotten, I won't be surprised. I hope we can develop him. But admitting mistakes and not being stubborn accepting it, can help a situation. Pulling for the Mercer kid. But I was actually looking forward to seeing him at fullback and TE in situations if he didn't start.
Originally posted by davidboutte:
Let me just say when banks was drafted in the 2nd round that I had no clue who he was. When I looked him up as a draft prospect I saw ranked as 4/5th rounder: Ambry Thomas reach, Sermon trade up bust, TDP this reach reach.

Banks didn't play last year. Wasn't shocked. Burford outplaying him no surprise. Poe beating him out won't either. If banks never develops like the Stanford GAURD Bust who's name I've thankfully forgotten, I won't be surprised. I hope we can develop him. But admitting mistakes and not being stubborn accepting it, can help a situation. Pulling for the Mercer kid. But I was actually looking forward to seeing him at fullback and TE in situations if he didn't start.
Banks has been great so far

poe is being tested, because they want to make him part of the 53
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Banks has been "okay" far from great. I think there's a lg battle. Because banks is doing okay, and Poe is winning in practice, and against the other backups in pre season games. Poe has been better in one on ones in practice then banks
[ Edited by fan49 on Aug 22, 2022 at 9:11 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
If poe ends up starting that would be an upgrade at lg. you don't just come undrafted and earn a starting role anfter first trading camp unless you're really good. Or banks is really bad

I'm hoping they are *both* good, and that's why they are in competition for the LG spot. At least I hope so. That will add a lot of depth to the OLine for sure this season, if Banks and Poe have starter level player ability.

Banks has been "okay" far from great. I think there's a lg battle. Because banks is doing okay, and Poe is winning in practice, and against the other backups in pre season games. Poe has been better in one on ones in practice then banks

None of the O lineman have been great so far in pre season. None of them. Banks has been good enough to hold that LG spot down though. Poe has been great in the run game but shaky in pass pro. Like a lot more shaky than Banks has. They want to get a good look at Poe and determine whether he can fill in if Burford or Banks get dinged up. No use in keeping a guy if he isn't good enough to step in on passing downs.
Originally posted by random49er:
On health,...What's up with all the Bucs OL health issues? Did they borrow our training staff for a month?

Must be the scheme....

I mean it sounds like you're putting the cart ahead of the horse here dude...Banks is a LG, that's what he played in college and that's what he will play here. Burford was brought in to play RG. Dude hasn't gotten real reps until this off season (he got hurt during camp).

I did my homework on a ton of IOL in last years draft because I thought we would be going for at least one. Banks was looked at as a early day 3 pick, I didn't see the scheme fit at all personally. Reach and not a scheme fit

We will see though. Sounds like he cut down on the weight (which is fine he wasn't some mauler anyway).

I was a fan of Burford and I thought Poe could be a late day 3 pick....Poe shouldn't be a fullback or TE. He can play OL in the NFL. He was one of the best pulling OGs in the draft IMO. I think at worst you toss him in as a DL instead of a fullback/TE.

Originally posted by YACBros85:

None of the O lineman have been great so far in pre season. None of them. Banks has been good enough to hold that LG spot down though. Poe has been great in the run game but shaky in pass pro. Like a lot more shaky than Banks has. They want to get a good look at Poe and determine whether he can fill in if Burford or Banks get dinged up. No use in keeping a guy if he isn't good enough to step in on passing downs.

Exactly. Solid so far. Flashes.

MM two podcasts ago said McKivitz has had a great camp and basically is the swing-T. That should be very concerning to fans by now. His and JLC's next observations about the OL was that the Vikings DL pwned the OL and were constantly in the backfield...pancaking fools like Justin Skule. Trey Lance was greatly effected and always on the move.

My biggest take-away was that the calm and collected Trent Williams was very frustrated and got very vocal with Chris Foerster. JLC used the term "aggressive." That ain't good.

Sink or swing situation with the IOL which struggled with stunts and their pass rushers moving around.

On depth: "It's those 3 or nobody."

Obviously they have extra concerns about Brunskill and McGlinchey with their injuries.

MM's biggest concern is an inexperienced Trey Lance
in conjunction with the IOL. He feels once teams start game planning, it could get ugly. Because right now it's basic and predictable and it's a struggle now.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 23, 2022 at 8:25 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Exactly. Solid so far. Flashes.

MM two podcasts ago said McKivitz has had a great camp and basically is the swing-T. That should be very concerning to fans by now. His and JLC's next observations about the OL was that the Vikings DL pwned the OL and were constantly in the backfield...pancaking fools like Justin Skule. Trey Lance was greatly effected and always on the move.

My biggest take-away was that the calm and collected Trent Williams was very frustrated and got very vocal with Chris Foerster. JLC used the term "aggressive." That ain't good.

Sink or swing situation with the IOL which struggled with stunts and their pass rushers moving around.

On depth: "It's those 3 or nobody."

Obviously they have extra concerns about Brunskill and McGlinchey with their injuries.

MM's biggest concern is an inexperienced Trey Lance
in conjunction with the IOL. He feels once teams start game planning, it could get ugly. Because right now it's basic and predictable and it's a struggle now.

From what I have seen is Banks, Brendel and Burford have looked decent when they were all playing together. As fans, we don't get to see any of that stuff that happens in practice when it comes to the O line. I am curious to see what things look like when we add TW along with the interior 3. I will be highly concerned if McKivitz ends up starting at RT to start the season. I never thought I'd say this but hopefully at least Brunskill can get back onto the field and man that spot if MM cannot go come week 1.
If Poe is earning more reps with the 1st team then they should start him this week and see how he does.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I mean it sounds like you're putting the cart ahead of the horse here dude...Banks is a LG, that's what he played in college and that's what he will play here. Burford was brought in to play RG. Dude hasn't gotten real reps until this off season (he got hurt during camp).

I did my homework on a ton of IOL in last years draft because I thought we would be going for at least one. Banks was looked at as a early day 3 pick, I didn't see the scheme fit at all personally. Reach and not a scheme fit

We will see though. Sounds like he cut down on the weight (which is fine he wasn't some mauler anyway).

I was a fan of Burford and I thought Poe could be a late day 3 pick....Poe shouldn't be a fullback or TE. He can play OL in the NFL. He was one of the best pulling OGs in the draft IMO. I think at worst you toss him in as a DL instead of a fullback/TE.

Simply stating if Poe makes team as a backup I could see him used in other ways in potential goal line or short yardage situations. Such as FB/TE
Share 49ersWebzone