LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 239 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Williams- Poe- Brendel- Banks- Burford

Would not be mad about that. Although keep Banks at LG. Poe has already been playing RG anyhow.

Poe has also played LG. I think these 5 give us our best chance this season. So whatever combo of these 5 would be fine with me.

Would not be mad about that. Although keep Banks at LG. Poe has already been playing RG anyhow.

Poe has also played LG. I think these 5 give us our best chance this season. So whatever combo of these 5 would be fine with me.

The only problem I see is you are shifting around 3 guys from the positions they have gotten the bulk of their snaps at in OTA/TC, 3 weeks before the season starts.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

The only problem I see is you are shifting around 3 guys from the positions they have gotten the bulk of their snaps at in OTA/TC, 3 weeks before the season starts.

You could just move Burford outside and have Poe at RG. That would only be 1 shift.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

You could just move Burford outside and have Poe at RG. That would only be 1 shift.

If they feel Buford is good to go at RT i would be for it.

I don't like Banks moving back and forth after he talked about how much more comfortable he is. Personally that's a whole lot of unknown with only pre-season performance to judge. I would feel real uncomfortable with this situation.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

I don't like Banks moving back and forth after he talked about how much more comfortable he is. Personally that's a whole lot of unknown with only pre-season performance to judge. I would feel real uncomfortable with this situation.

I wouldn't mind Poe playing RG and leaving Banks at LG. If MM is a no go, there is going to be a whole lot of unknown on this O line regardless.

I agree that moving relatively inexperienced players around is not ideal. Until proven otherwise, I'm going to go with the assumption that the staff has looked at enough tape, and seen enough in practice that they are confident the current positions are the best fit for these guys.

Burford would appear to be a forced exception if MMc is going to be on the shelf for a while. Brunskill has proven to be the best option at OT but has been playing other positions due to need. Of course, he is now out for a while as well.

All that having been said, I am a fan of cross-training. It allows each player to become more familiar with what the guy next to them is supposed to do and how to do it. So there is that...
We have MM, Moore, and Brunskill injured. All are RT options. Know when these guys are expecting to return?
Originally posted by father49er:
We have MM, Moore, and Brunskill injured. All are RT options. Know when these guys are expecting to return?

I think MM and Moore are questionable for week 1. I'm not sure about Brunskill.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by father49er:

I think MM and Moore are questionable for week 1. I'm not sure about Brunskill.

i think the entire o line cept for trent is questionable

It sounds like Kyle is hoping as much as we are (from the HP). Also, it sounds like we'll keep 9 OL.

"You always wish you had more experience," Shanahan said. "You always wish you had just five Pro Bowlers in there who have been playing a while, but this is part of the league. Losing a good player like Laken [Tomlinson this offseason] in free agency, we had to step up and get some guys.

"I'm excited for [Aaron] Banks and what he's done this offseason. I was excited to get a guy in here like [Spencer] Burford in the [fourth round], with his ability and stuff, that he has the ability to at least start at that position. And then just having guys like Dan Brunskill, who's done it here for the last few years as a solid guy that we can rely on and put in there at any time if those guys aren't ready to go.

"And then I like some of these young guys who have been competing here since we've gotten them. It's still not settled yet. We'll see how this game ends up, how these next 17 days go, and hopefully, we'll get Mike [McGlinchey] back. And hopefully, Jaylon Moore will be healthy. And I'm hoping we'll have a group of nine guys that we know are going to have to help us throughout the year. But it's definitely nice having Trent there over on the left side."
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 24, 2022 at 10:40 AM ]
It sounds like Kyle is hoping as much as we are (from the HP). Also, it sounds like we'll keep 9 OL.

"You always wish you had more experience," Shanahan said. "You always wish you had just five Pro Bowlers in there who have been playing a while, but this is part of the league. Losing a good player like Laken [Tomlinson this offseason] in free agency, we had to step up and get some guys.

"I'm excited for [Aaron] Banks and what he's done this offseason. I was excited to get a guy in here like [Spencer] Burford in the [fourth round], with his ability and stuff, that he has the ability to at least start at that position. And then just having guys like Dan Brunskill, who's done it here for the last few years as a solid guy that we can rely on and put in there at any time if those guys aren't ready to go.

"And then I like some of these young guys who have been competing here since we've gotten them. It's still not settled yet. We'll see how this game ends up, how these next 17 days go, and hopefully, we'll get Mike [McGlinchey] back. And hopefully, Jaylon Moore will be healthy. And I'm hoping we'll have a group of nine guys that we know are going to have to help us throughout the year. But it's definitely nice having Trent there over on the left side."

Yup. I read that earlier too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:

I agree that moving relatively inexperienced players around is not ideal. Until proven otherwise, I'm going to go with the assumption that the staff has looked at enough tape, and seen enough in practice that they are confident the current positions are the best fit for these guys.

Burford would appear to be a forced exception if MMc is going to be on the shelf for a while. Brunskill has proven to be the best option at OT but has been playing other positions due to need. Of course, he is now out for a while as well.

All that having been said, I am a fan of cross-training. It allows each player to become more familiar with what the guy next to them is supposed to do and how to do it. So there is that...

Agree 💯%, it will slow their growth for a time, but I really believe if they really have talent, then they will eventually get better as they get more reps and experience. Them developing and being better at the end of the season is better than the opposit (starting great and ending bad). I think how a team ends the season is a stronger indication of playoff success than how they started.

Yup. I read that earlier too.

It sure sounds like he sees Brunskill as that key backup and he clearly recognizes the annual injury trend too. Both of these are good things. 👍
Well, JC Tretter announced his retirement so that door is now officially closed.
Share 49ersWebzone