LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 213 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Can't wait til we get the starters in and start game planning
In Eric Branch's article on tonight's game, he reported "the 49ers have recently made trade inquires to add an interior offensive lineman" with nothing imminent according to a "league source"
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
In Eric Branch's article on tonight's game, he reported "the 49ers have recently made trade inquires to add an interior offensive lineman" with nothing imminent according to a "league source"

Should have done this a long time ago.
  • thl408

Teams with some depth at backup OL would rather trade than cut. No idea who those teams are. Make those calls Lynch. Bargain shopping in the clearance aisle.
So…about that Isiah Wynn guy being available
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
I'm having a hard time evaluating anyone on offense because the line play has been so bad.

Could be this year's Achilles heel.

Lovie Smith is a good DC and the 49er Offensive Line got outplayed and dominated by the Texan Defensive line in the run game. Lovie's DLine was really shooting the gaps -- and I think the 49er Offensive Line didn't expect that kind of DLine play today - for some reason. It didn't help that Sermon didn't have a great game either. 2.5 yards per carry.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

Teams with some depth at backup OL would rather trade than cut. No idea who those teams are. Make those calls Lynch. Bargain shopping in the clearance aisle.

Hopefully there can be some developmental players they can pick up when teams go to the 53 man squad. As for now, unless there is a trade for an established veteran - the 49er OLine is what the 49er OLine is right now. Personally, I just don't think Kyle and Foerster adjusted well technique-wise to what the Texan DLine was doing - and I think the OLine is still fixable. I'm concerned, but not panicking yet.
It's too late to find a new player. TC and the preseason are over. The team is stuck with whoever they got. LG/C/RG are a complete disaster.

Laken Tomlinson should've been resigned at the price he asked for. He never misses games and got a 3 year contract only from Detroit. If we have enough cap space for a 24 million dollar backup QB we should have enough for a Pro-Bowl LG. That's a big mistake by the front office.
Its crazy that the players that defend the QB is called the offensive line..... we need to fix this asap! !!!
Pressures given up on the first 3 drives of last night's game.

Kittle- 1
Kroft- 1
McKivitz- 2
Moore- 4

Burford had 1 holding call in pp

I counted 14 pass plays on the first 3 drives. Between Moore and McKivitz, they gave up 6 of the 8 pressures. All, I can say is that I really hope if MM isn't ready to go that Brunskill is come week 1. I have zero confidence in Moore and McKivitz. But to put it into perspective, most of the pressures came from the left and Trent Williams wasn't playing so...

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
I'm having a hard time evaluating anyone on offense because the line play has been so bad.

Could be this year's Achilles heel.

Lovie Smith is a good DC and the 49er Offensive Line got outplayed and dominated by the Texan Defensive line in the run game. Lovie's DLine was really shooting the gaps -- and I think the 49er Offensive Line didn't expect that kind of DLine play today - for some reason. It didn't help that Sermon didn't have a great game either. 2.5 yards per carry.

How was Mason, TDP and Hasty compare to Sermon?
1.8, -0.8 and 0, so yeah o line sucks and the rest of the rbs behind Sermon isn't any better. People need to realize the 9er backup o line sucks and even the potential rookie starters are a work in progress and yes the Packers and Vickings 2nd and 3rd string defenders probably suck really bad vs the Texans 2nd and 3rd string defenders is most likely why Mason and Hasty did well rushing as oppose to Sermon aka every teams backup and 3rd string aren't the same as their starters aren't, that's the NFL for you, there are good teams and bad teams and at every level of any NFL roster and also coaching staff. Took a good team with good backups and 3rd stringers like Houston to expose Sudfeld, Purdy, Mason, the o line at how good they really are, not very good and not NFL starter level is why they are backups
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Aug 26, 2022 at 4:33 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Pressures given up on the first 3 drives of last night's game.

Kittle- 1
Kroft- 1
McKivitz- 2
Moore- 4

Burford had 1 holding call in pp

I counted 14 pass plays on the first 3 drives. Between Moore and McKivitz, they gave up 6 of the 8 pressures. All, I can say is that I really hope if MM isn't ready to go that Brunskill is come week 1. I have zero confidence in Moore and McKivitz. But to put it into perspective, most of the pressures came from the left and Trent Williams wasn't playing so...

Thanks for posting this. This kind of highlights the 'unit pass protection' issue that's permeated for a long time now. It's the collective group fail not just the 5 OL. We fell into that jail break mode again where the QB had nowhere to go. Trey had 2 sacks? 1 eliminated d/t a penalty? Constant pressure.

If this group continues like this, Trey is going to learn a lot of really bad habits. His first down to Malik Turner was an example where the pressure was in his head and he rushed his throw (didn't need to, IIRC) and it came out poorly and low. Feet/mechanics were poor.

I kept hearing MM saying McKivitz had his best camp and then I'd see the games and think, "He hasn't grown a bit. Why does he keep saying this and what is he seeing that I'm not?"

Super bummed about J.Moore.

Any ideas why they moved McKivitz to RT (from LT) and Moore from RT to LT coming off a hammy?
Originally posted by thl408:

It worked with Tomlinson. We traded for him on cut day, hopefully we can repeat that magic.
LMAO. This about sums it up.

Originally posted by Brucey72:
Lynch needs to get on the phone and start calling for lineman.

Yeah I think it's come to that. Make some trades do something.
Share 49ersWebzone