LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 192 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Pressures given up on the first 3 drives of last night's game.

Kittle- 1
Kroft- 1
McKivitz- 2
Moore- 4

Burford had 1 holding call in pp

I counted 14 pass plays on the first 3 drives. Between Moore and McKivitz, they gave up 6 of the 8 pressures. All, I can say is that I really hope if MM isn't ready to go that Brunskill is come week 1. I have zero confidence in Moore and McKivitz. But to put it into perspective, most of the pressures came from the left and Trent Williams wasn't playing so...

Thanks for posting this. This kind of highlights the 'unit pass protection' issue that's permeated for a long time now. It's the collective group fail not just the 5 OL. We fell into that jail break mode again where the QB had nowhere to go. Trey had 2 sacks? 1 eliminated d/t a penalty? Constant pressure.

If this group continues like this, Trey is going to learn a lot of really bad habits. His first down to Malik Turner was an example where the pressure was in his head and he rushed his throw (didn't need to, IIRC) and it came out poorly and low. Feet/mechanics were poor.

I kept hearing MM saying McKivitz had his best camp and then I'd see the games and think, "He hasn't grown a bit. Why does he keep saying this and what is he seeing that I'm not?"

Super bummed about J.Moore.

Any ideas why they moved McKivitz to RT (from LT) and Moore from RT to LT coming off a hammy?

First, I would like to say that Kroft is probably not making the team and it is rare you see Kittle get beat like that in pass pro.

Yes. 2 sacks if you include the one erased by the off sides penalty. I would also like to say that Trey Lance seemed to have a difficult time finding his footing on that field.

I think this is the worst we will see of the O line unless TW or Brendel get injured and miss time.

I am not sure why they moved McKivitz to RT and put Moore in at LT.

I am not a religious man but at this point I am praying either MM or DB can fill that RT spot when the season starts.
Should we try and trade for Leatherwood in Vegas? He has been awful and they might trade him. #17 overall pick last year. Worth the tryout honestly since it worked with Tomlinson
Originally posted by Leathaface:
It's too late to find a new player. TC and the preseason are over. The team is stuck with whoever they got. LG/C/RG are a complete disaster.

Laken Tomlinson should've been resigned at the price he asked for. He never misses games and got a 3 year contract only from Detroit. If we have enough cap space for a 24 million dollar backup QB we should have enough for a Pro-Bowl LG. That's a big mistake by the front office.

I'm pretty sure they traded for Tomlinson the week of final cuts (August 31st).
First, I would like to say that Kroft is probably not making the team and it is rare you see Kittle get beat like that in pass pro.

Yes. 2 sacks if you include the one erased by the off sides penalty. I would also like to say that Trey Lance seemed to have a difficult time finding his footing on that field.

I think this is the worst we will see of the O line unless TW or Brendel get injured and miss time.

I am not a religious man but at this point I am praying either MM or DB can fill that RT spot when the season starts.

I didn't watch the game, how was Brendel? Reading the pressure numbers you put out....sounds like McKivitz and Moore were the real problem?
Originally posted by Brucey72:
Should we try and trade for Leatherwood in Vegas? He has been awful and they might trade him. #17 overall pick last year. Worth the tryout honestly since it worked with Tomlinson

I didn't watch the game, was it the IOL (starting IOL) that was the main issue? It sounds like McKivitz/Moore who played OT were a massive liability last night....neither guy will be starting, unless McG's injury is much worse. IF that's the case then I would try and get Wynn. He's a good starting RT and IMO would be a upgrade.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I didn't watch the game, how was Brendel? Reading the pressure numbers you put out....sounds like McKivitz and Moore were the real problem?

McKivitz and Moore were roasted on every play it seemed like. Brendel is capable. Banks and Burford looked lost but I think it was due to them trying to help the tackles.

I didn't watch the game, was it the IOL (starting IOL) that was the main issue? It sounds like McKivitz/Moore who played OT were a massive liability last night....neither guy will be starting, unless McG's injury is much worse. IF that's the case then I would try and get Wynn. He's a good starting RT and IMO would be a upgrade.

Banks and the Tackles are not very good. I like Burford but Banks is very inconsistent and allowed run plays to get ruined before the RB even got the ball

It was a jail break overall; just a matter of who got credited with the pressure first. Burford had 2 penalties, Banks struggled. Brendel seemed the most consistent and yeah, both T's and TE's struggled to help out. Just a rough night of Trey instantly running for his health. Kyle got him out pretty quickly.

There's very little doubt MM will not play week 1 so to YAC's point, we better pray Brunskill heals up from his hammy and can play RT at a reasonable level. Otherwise it'll be McKivitz starting there.
McKivitz and Moore were roasted on every play it seemed like. Brendel is capable. Banks and Burford looked lost but I think it was due to them trying to help the tackles.

Garbage, they got 2 weeks to fix this issue.

okay thanks, when I get a chance (hopefully this weekend) I will be able to watch. So our backup OTs are junk, our "rookie" OGs are playing like rookies and had zero help at the OT positions.

I think the real issue is if McG can't play for a while, we're in trouble. I really wish they would have left Brunskill at RT.

Originally posted by ChillninDaBay:

Garbage, they got 2 weeks to fix this issue.

Agreed we need to desperately find a swing tackle and a G. Banks is not a starter yet. I think LT, C, and RG is solidified. RT is injured.
[ Edited by Brucey72 on Aug 26, 2022 at 5:05 AM ]

Brendel is fine from what I have seen. He is much like Alex Mack in the fact that he is a solid pass blocker and an okay run blocker. Nothing I saw last night has changed my mind of that.

McKivitz was poor in pass pro and Moore was straight ass. When we finally see Trent play with the rest of the starters, I think we'll feel a whole lot better about the O line. If MM and DB are not going to be ready week 1, we should think about bringing someone else in to compete for that RT spot. If not, Trey is going to be running to the left a lot.
Originally posted by NCommand:
It was a jail break overall; just a matter of who got credited with the pressure first. Burford had 2 penalties, Banks struggled. Brendel seemed the most consistent and yeah, both T's and TE's struggled to help out. Just a rough night of Trey instantly running for his health. Kyle got him out pretty quickly.

There's very little doubt MM will not play week 1 so to YAC's point, we better pray Brunskill heals up from his hammy and can play RT at a reasonable level. Otherwise it'll be McKivitz starting there.

hmmmm welp that's not good.
Brendel is fine from what I have seen. He is much like Alex Mack in the fact that he is a solid pass blocker and an okay run blocker. Nothing I saw last night has changed my mind of that.

McKivitz was poor in pass pro and Moore was straight ass. When we finally see Trent play with the rest of the starters, I think we'll feel a whole lot better about the O line. If MM and DB are not going to be ready week 1, we should think about bringing someone else in to compete for that RT spot. If not, Trey is going to be running to the left a lot.

Wynn makes sense short-term and long-term IMO. They won't do that though with McG also on his 5th yr option.
  • da209
  • Veteran

Wynn makes sense short-term and long-term IMO. They won't do that though with McG also on his 5th yr option.

we need to make this move. McG is hurt and so is brunskill.
Share 49ersWebzone