LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 206 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Brucey72:
McKivitz and Moore were roasted on every play it seemed like. Brendel is capable. Banks and Burford looked lost but I think it was due to them trying to help the tackles.

okay thanks, when I get a chance (hopefully this weekend) I will be able to watch. So our backup OTs are junk, our "rookie" OGs are playing like rookies and had zero help at the OT positions.

I think the real issue is if McG can't play for a while, we're in trouble. I really wish they would have left Brunskill at RT.

Same.
Another year and the same song is being played.
How's Andre Dillard been? I know he's on the trade block on Philly
I'm sure a lot of people are freaking out after yesterday and certainly I share some concern but let's be honest what OL looks great with the top 3 OTs out of the game?

We haven't seen our young/new IOL play with Trent in a game yet. We have just a few snaps of them playing with McGlinchey. Getting those guys out there will help tighten things up. So will Kyle's gameplanning and scheme.

I know everyone wants an OL which dominates in pass pro and run game every snap but that's not realistic with all the other talent we have and the people we have to pay. We went to the SB with these guys starting in that game

LT - Staley
LG - Tomlinson
C - Garland
RG - Person
RT - McGlinchey

This year we're looking at upgrades or same player(with hopefully improvement) at LT and RT so our questions are inside. Do we think Brendel and Burford can't replace Garland and Person?

The biggest question is Banks replacing Tomlinson but let's not forget when we brought in Tomlinson he was an August 31st trade guy who was a bust for Detroit. Banks certainly hasn't inspired a ton of confidence yet but he's still young and playing next to Trent will make him look better.

We just have to weather the early storm and hope the young guys learn quickly and keep improving.
They keep adding lower tiered talent instead of really investing in the o line. We have 2 NFL tackles on the roster. 2. They keep trying to make these non athletic guards tackles and it's not going to work. Brunskill isn't a tackle and neither is Burford. McKivitz and Moore stink. Brendal gets no push. They need to add some real tackles going forward and let guards be guards.
[ Edited by lamontb on Aug 26, 2022 at 6:15 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:

I remember Staley doing something like this too several years vet. Can't judge a Olineman with one bad play. It's like a LB missing a tackle, it happens to even the best HOF
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 26, 2022 at 6:28 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I remember Staley doing something like this too several years vet. Can't judge a Olineman with one bad play. It's like a LB missing a tackle, it happens to even the best HOF

Except that Moore gave up 4 pressures on the first 3 drives of the game. He looked horrible in pass pro.
Originally posted by lamontb:
They keep adding lower tiered talent instead of really investing in the o line. We have 2 NFL tackles on the roster. 2. They keep trying to make these non athletic guards tackles and it's not going to work. Brunskill isn't a tackle and neither is Burford. McKivitz and Moore stink. Brendal gets no push.

What are you expecting them to do? And what the heck are you talking about? You really complaining that our 4th/5th OTs aren't dominant or early round selections or big money free agents?

Our starting tackles are Trent Williams a top 5 pick and best LT in the game and Mike McGlinchey a top 10 pick. Brunskill btw played VERY well at LT and RT in 2019 when Staley and McGlinchey got hurt. Acting like he's not an NFL player is just stupid.

Burford is going to play at RG, not sure why you're talking about him being a tackle...though he did play that in college so why you think he can't play there if he had to is odd.

Complaining about the 49ers not investing higher tiered talent at OL when we have two top 10 draft picks, a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick as 4 of the 5 starters on the line while also having the talent we do at the other positions is just silly. You only have so many picks and cap space. You can't have high $ FAs or early draft picks at every spot.

Part of building a top tier team is finding spots where you get production above the $ or draft picks these guys get. We need Burford to be a player, he's showing good things early. It won't be perfect but he's a rookie and he went in the 4th round for a reason. Can't expect Quenton Nelson out there. I mean look that the Packers who have done a great job drafting OL talent over the years. Some of their best picks have come later in the draft Corey Linsley - 5th round pick, Bakhtiari - 4th round pick, Josh Sitton - 4th round pick.

You don't need to draft OL in the first round to guarantee success there. You just need to find guys who can be a scheme fit, can be coached up and work hard to improve their game.
Originally posted by genus49:
What are you expecting them to do? And what the heck are you talking about?

Stack talent until the standard is met.

They specifically target these 5th-UDFA's plus no FA's except dudes like Tom Compton because they are cheap, won't threaten the starters in front of them and you can use them as get-by players for a game or two.

Brutal. He's setting up outside as if he has inside help from Banks. Nope. He's busy doubling down inside.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Brutal. He's setting up outside as if he has inside help from Banks. Nope. He's busy doubling down inside.

So you think that is a mental mistake by Banks?
Originally posted by lamontb:
They keep adding lower tiered talent instead of really investing in the o line. We have 2 NFL tackles on the roster. 2. They keep trying to make these non athletic guards tackles and it's not going to work. Brunskill isn't a tackle and neither is Burford. McKivitz and Moore stink. Brendal gets no push. They need to add some real tackles going forward and let guards be guards.

Who's not athletic? I would say Brunskill is more of a OT then a OG.

I don't get what Burford has to do with your complaint? He's been playing RG since day 1. Clearly that was what he was drafted for.

Moore and McKivitz are both 5th rd picks. I'm not sure what you're expecting? They're depth and no doubt we wouldn't want them to be starters for a long period of time. Developmental players nothing more.

I hated the Banks pick. If your spending basically a top 50 pick on a guard, he HAS to be a stud day 1 starter imo.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChillninDaBay:
McKivitz and Moore were roasted on every play it seemed like. Brendel is capable. Banks and Burford looked lost but I think it was due to them trying to help the tackles.

Garbage, they got 2 weeks to fix this issue.

Agreed we need to desperately find a swing tackle and a G. Banks is not a starter yet. I think LT, C, and RG is solidified. RT is injured.

I think with Trent Williams and Brunskill back, you'll see better OT performance. At least I hope so. Texans really did a number on the zone blocking, if the 49ers would have shifted to some gap blocking (like some trap plays) i think the RBs would have had a better shot at getting yardage. The Texans were in the 49er backfield all night.
Originally posted by NCommand:

So you think that is a mental mistake by Banks?

Surely NC is not blaming a high OL pick for this cuz we know that's the only way to improve the OL!
Share 49ersWebzone