There are 208 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by genus49:
What are you expecting them to do? And what the heck are you talking about?

Stack talent until the standard is met.

They specifically target these 5th-UDFA's plus no FA's except dudes like Tom Compton because they are cheap, won't threaten the starters in front of them and you can use them as get-by players for a game or two.

Despite your theory the team is more than just the OL. You can't just keep throwing picks/$ at OL non stop. You have to let some of these guys develop.

Oh I know. I get the team building aspect and balance, of course. Unfortunately this is the unit that makes everything go.

So...

Every house is stands on a foundation. True the whole house isn't the foundation, but no sound house has a weak foundation.

Yup. It's still football.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Now it's come to that? I'm just saying bud there were red flags galore. I pray we don't show up to Chicago (game I'm attending) like that.

I said you gotta see what you got with your young players first. For me it's all about McG and how bad his injury is. Can't be tossing Colton out there for any meaningful stretch.
Moore, Skule, Mckivitz simply can't play tackle in a game we need to win. At least right now
Originally posted by cciowa:
suddenly it appears some have work up to the shock and awe that we have a problem with the o line. the team did a very very poor job with this key aspect of the game in free agency and in the draft. the red flags were there going back to otas. but no.,.,. everyone just pinned their hopes on HOPING. when pre season began and before the draft i said we have one solid lineman in trent and then nothing after that.... nothing has changed.... and now we are in a reaction mode of well we better make trades.. hello.. where was this sense of urgency when the red flags were out all over the place earlier this summer. unless you were unwilling or unable to see them. even with trent being young.. this team had a solid 11 win potential.. with the current state of the line.... and i have no time for.. well it takes time for them to jell... you could be looking at 8 wins.

Good post!

I know it was pre-season yada, yada BUT it's a bleak picture if any of our starters get injured,

I really hope they'll scour the waiver wires or trade JG for a top tier OL guy.
pretty late to the party... hope you apologize to nc... he was right all along about this o line along with many of us as well

Excuse me?! All I said was you NEED to see the young players you spent time and picks on before you go a different route. My point was also prior to McG dealing with his current injury which we no nothing about….

don't make up s**t cc.

people are complaining mostly about backup OTs right now. If Colton has to play meaningful snaps this yr because of McG then yes they should look at trying to get better there via trade.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 26, 2022 at 8:25 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
pretty late to the party... hope you apologize to nc... he was right all along about this o line along with many of us as well

Excuse me?! All I said was you NEED to see the young players you spent time and picks on before you go a different route. My point was also prior to McG dealing with his current injury which we no nothing about….

don't make up s**t cc.

people are complaining mostly about backup OTs right now. If Colton has to play meaningful snaps this yr because of McG then yes they should look at trying to get better there via trade.

all you and others did was rip nc when he dared voice concern about the line.. so please do not act stupid.. uhm,, the so called starters like MM are in serious question to so stop with... oh.. our starters are fine.. because aside from trent.. no they are not.... good luck with trading for someone this late in the game. this line is what it is.. so much for hoping and praying and hoping that dreams come true
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post!

I know it was pre-season yada, yada BUT it's a bleak picture if any of our starters get injured,

i am sure there is no top line talent left because most teams in the nfl value the o line,. the best you can hope for is someone a titch better than what we already have... but knowing kyle and lynch.. they will just say. we like our guys as trey gets pile drived into the turf
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Brutal. He's setting up outside as if he has inside help from Banks. Nope. He's busy doubling down inside.

So you think that is a mental mistake by Banks?

That was so painful to watch.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good post!

i am sure there is no top line talent left because most teams in the nfl value the o line,. the best you can hope for is someone a titch better than what we already have... but knowing kyle and lynch.. they will just say. we like our guys as trey gets pile drived into the turf

So graphic. lol
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Aug 26, 2022 at 8:44 AM ]
Amongst other things, it was incredibly hard to follow what was happening with OL last nite when Banks, Poe, Moore, Burford Sutherland, Brendel went from LT to RG and center to LG to RT to LT and then back again. Moore has no business playing LT (#76) . As for the others, there is no way to truly estimate how each individual did, when many were playing out of position and sometimes 2 were playing out of position.

This game was really to place different OLs at different slots and see how they did. Ie, could they play at RT or LG, C, or whatever. And when you have one or two guys way out of position, it makes the guys next to him look bad also. This was just a plug and play and judge for the sheer act of finding out what different guys can do in different slots . One thing for sure…Moore cannot play LT. Aside from that, Sutherland appeared able to play C. Banks can play LG. Brendel can play C . Burford can play RG…and so can Poe. But good grief, aside from that what else could one learn from last nite with guys switching positions every series, and at times, even in same series?

we have talked about unit blocking both run and passing game. Well,, you get little if any sense from last nite's game as to what the "unit" can do when multiple players are continuing to switch positions each series. Last nite was an effort to see what individuals could do at multiple slots and any concept of unit blocking went bye the bye. I

Yes OL looked bad, sloppy,, but there was no effort to see what starters could do as a unit. Bad as it looked, this was to decide who to cut last nite, and no effort was made to make the OL look great as a "unit" in that there was never a unit. So for those who are panicked, cool it, let's wait til we see the best 5 guys out there, (RT being the real ???) And then we can move on from there. Our OL is not as bad as it looked last nite.

If nothing else, the Bears have no idea what our OL is capable of after last nite. That's not much solace, but it is some. Put Trent, Banks, Brendel, Burford and Poe/West/ Jeckelj,/ Brun/ or whoever else out there at RT and you will see a very different OL. Center looks decided but RT not so. It will be a lot easier to judge who to put there once the remainder of the OL is decided and in place.

yes it looked awful, but obviously KS./JL were still deciding who to keep and who not.

all you and others did was rip nc when he dared voice concern about the line.. so please do not act stupid.. uhm,, the so called starters like MM are in serious question to so stop with... oh.. our starters are fine.. because aside from trent.. no they are not.... good luck with trading for someone this late in the game. this line is what it is.. so much for hoping and praying and hoping that dreams come true

Oh cut the s**t! NC and I have different philosophies on OG. I said you don't have to spend elite money/picks there. OT/C absolutely. I said scheme and QB help with blocking, which is absolutely true and no one should say otherwise.

People like YOU misinterpret our debate clearly. I'm not gonna let you b******t my comments. I don't f**king think so.

NOW if McG is out long-term then yes go look for legit long-term starter. We had to see what we have in-house & it might not be good enough, but you had to see it first. Yeah your right SF has never traded for a OL this late before *cough Laken.

Lastly, it's preseason man. You're puffing up your chest over backup OTs. Give me a break.
We passed the ball 41 times last night and only ran the ball 24 times. I don't expect to see those types of splits again in any game this season.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Aug 26, 2022 at 8:56 AM ]
Relying on McGlinchey to come back from a tore quad. And then drafting luxury running backs in the 3rd round . These are the types of decisions that cripple a team. Yes I know that MM is likely to be ready for Week 1, but its not exactly inspiring. He had some irritation in his knee after like 3 snaps?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Amongst other things, it was incredibly hard to follow what was happening with OL last nite when Banks, Poe, Moore, Burford Sutherland, Brendel went from LT to RG and center to LG to RT to LT and then back again. Moore has no business playing LT (#76) . As for the others, there is no way to truly estimate how each individual did, when many were playing out of position and sometimes 2 were playing out of position.

This game was really to place different OLs at different slots and see how they did. Ie, could they play at RT or LG, C, or whatever. And when you have one or two guys way out of position, it makes the guys next to him look bad also. This was just a plug and play and judge for the sheer act of finding out what different guys can do in different slots . One thing for sure…Moore cannot play LT. Aside from that, Sutherland appeared able to play C. Banks can play LG. Brendel can play C . Burford can play RG…and so can Poe. But good grief, aside from that what else could one learn from last nite with guys switching positions every series, and at times, even in same series?

we have talked about unit blocking both run and passing game. Well,, you get little if any sense from last nite's game as to what the "unit" can do when multiple players are continuing to switch positions each series. Last nite was an effort to see what individuals could do at multiple slots and any concept of unit blocking went bye the bye. I

Yes OL looked bad, sloppy,, but there was no effort to see what starters could do as a unit. Bad as it looked, this was to decide who to cut last nite, and no effort was made to make the OL look great as a "unit" in that there was never a unit. So for those who are panicked, cool it, let's wait til we see the best 5 guys out there, (RT being the real ???) And then we can move on from there. Our OL is not as bad as it looked last nite.

If nothing else, the Bears have no idea what our OL is capable of after last nite. That's not much solace, but it is some. Put Trent, Banks, Brendel, Burford and Poe/West/ Jeckelj,/ Brun/ or whoever else out there at RT and you will see a very different OL. Center looks decided but RT not so. It will be a lot easier to judge who to put there once the remainder of the OL is decided and in place.

yes it looked awful, but obviously KS./JL were still deciding who to keep and who not.

You make some good points. It's one reason I never get concerned about pre season games. Even evaluating individual players, which is what pre season is all about is hard when players are shuffling in and out and sometimes playing a position other than their own. Then you have the fact that 2nd or 3rd stringers can be playing against starters or the starting backfield can be running behind a make shift line. No real game planning either.
We passed the ball 41 times last night and only ran the ball 24 times. I don't expect to see those types of splits again in any game this season.

Haha. So true. I don't care if we're down 17, Kyle probably isn't passing that much again.
Share 49ersWebzone