LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 200 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I will go against the grain here and say we have a very good line. Will eat crow if wrong but I won't be.

Could legit go either way. The flashes in the interior need to be more consistent and need health at the T position. If we dont have Trent and MM/Brunskill it's a tremendous problem. Same problem Dallas and Tampa will be facing and anyone else without their top tackles.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I will go against the grain here and say we have a very good line. Will eat crow if wrong but I won't be.

I think they can be good. I saw more mental mistakes than physical breakdowns. You can fix mental breakdowns, but if a guy doesn't have the strength physically block or arm to throw a five yard out, you can't fix those issues, you need a new guy.

I hope you are right. Maybe Banks and Burford will be solid with more playing time. I'm actually high on Burford. I am actually not concerned about Brendel. I just don't see Banks being anything other than a below average starter. If I'm wrong I will gladly eat Crow, just would need some dipping sauce
Originally posted by Brucey72:
I hope you are right. Maybe Banks and Burford will be solid with more playing time. I'm actually high on Burford. I am actually not concerned about Brendel. I just don't see Banks being anything other than a below average starter. If I'm wrong I will gladly eat Crow, just would need some dipping sauce

Why it's important to start playing Moore inside. He's not a tackle. Let him compete with Poe and Banks. Best man wins.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by lamontb:
They keep adding lower tiered talent instead of really investing in the o line. We have 2 NFL tackles on the roster. 2. They keep trying to make these non athletic guards tackles and it's not going to work. Brunskill isn't a tackle and neither is Burford. McKivitz and Moore stink. Brendal gets no push. They need to add some real tackles going forward and let guards be guards.

Who's not athletic? I would say Brunskill is more of a OT then a OG.

I don't get what Burford has to do with your complaint? He's been playing RG since day 1. Clearly that was what he was drafted for.

Moore and McKivitz are both 5th rd picks. I'm not sure what you're expecting? They're depth and no doubt we wouldn't want them to be starters for a long period of time. Developmental players nothing more.

I hated the Banks pick. If your spending basically a top 50 pick on a guard, he HAS to be a stud day 1 starter imo.

Moore and Mckivitz aren't athletic enough nor have the footwork to play tackle. They are guards plain and simple. Instead of forcing lower level guards to be back up tackles they need to invest in back up tackles. Brunskill has better footwork than both but I haven't seen enough of him at tackle. Gotta be better than what we seen from Moore and Mckivitz. I wasn't hype about the Banks pick either but I think he'll be fine. Just needs more reps. Hopefully some continuity gets going in the regular season and the pass pro becomes better
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Brutal. He's setting up outside as if he has inside help from Banks. Nope. He's busy doubling down inside.

So you think that is a mental mistake by Banks?

I wish I knew. This is why it's hard to accurately grade these guys. It could be either's fault OR even the C's with an incorrect protection call or not getting it communicated out to J.Moore there (or the RB). It could be the RB's fault too.
I wish I knew. This is why it's hard to accurately grade these guys. It could be either's fault OR even the C's with an incorrect protection call or not getting it communicated out to J.Moore there (or the RB). It could be the RB's fault too.

How the f**k sermon? Not giving Moore a pass, horrendous, but wtf is sermon doing lol
Originally posted by frenchmov:

How the f**k sermon? Not giving Moore a pass, horrendous, but wtf is sermon doing lol

Not much. "Unit pass protection." Everybody plays! LOL
Originally posted by frenchmov:

I bet Hasty would have picked that up.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Moore and Mckivitz aren't athletic enough nor have the footwork to play tackle. They are guards plain and simple. Instead of forcing lower level guards to be back up tackles they need to invest in back up tackles. Brunskill has better footwork than both but I haven't seen enough of him at tackle. Gotta be better than what we seen from Moore and Mckivitz. I wasn't hype about the Banks pick either but I think he'll be fine. Just needs more reps. Hopefully some continuity gets going in the regular season and the pass pro becomes better

I agree on Moore and McKivitz. They are out of position at OT. Keep them inside.

I have been a fan of Brunskill since Tim Ryan first pointed him out in the early days of his first TC. DB is a former TE and has the superior footwork of a TE over that of a guard. He is just a good athlete. However, as a bulked-up TE, he does not have the natural strength to play inside. I have watched him a lot in the times he has played OT and am convinced that is his best position.

My biggest concern is Banks. He is good when his opponent is right in front of him. He can use his size and bulk to win that battle all day long. His fatal flaw is a lack of quickness to follow stunts and recover if he is beaten early. The drop-off from Laken Tomlinson to Banks is catastrophic. I'm not ready to write him off but I have seen all I want to see from him until he can slim down and, hopefully, gain some quickness. As he is now, from what he demonstrated last night and earlier, he is not a starting guard in this league.

Pretty frustrating that this was obviously going to be a weak spot way back during the draft and just now they're coming to the, "oh s**t, maybe we should trade for another guy" realization. Seems pretty similar to the CB situation last year. Obvious issue early and didn't do enough to address it. If Trent or McG spend time on the IR this year we're proper f**ked.
You can't say he set up outside b/c he's expecting help from the guard. More than likely he's setting up on the outside b/c he's been beat multiple times to the outside. Which he was. He's trying to predict what Hughes will do next. Thus why the veteran pass rusher beat him with the quick inside move. Moore simply was put on skates all night by a better veteran defender.
Originally posted by dj43:
I agree on Moore and McKivitz. They are out of position at OT. Keep them inside.

I have been a fan of Brunskill since Tim Ryan first pointed him out in the early days of his first TC. DB is a former TE and has the superior footwork of a TE over that of a guard. He is just a good athlete. However, as a bulked-up TE, he does not have the natural strength to play inside. I have watched him a lot in the times he has played OT and am convinced that is his best position.

My biggest concern is Banks. He is good when his opponent is right in front of him. He can use his size and bulk to win that battle all day long. His fatal flaw is a lack of quickness to follow stunts and recover if he is beaten early. The drop-off from Laken Tomlinson to Banks is catastrophic. I'm not ready to write him off but I have seen all I want to see from him until he can slim down and, hopefully, gain some quickness. As he is now, from what he demonstrated last night and earlier, he is not a starting guard in this league.

While im no Banks fan that's basically the same write up for Laken.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by dj43:

While im no Banks fan that's basically the same write up for Laken.

I disagree on Laken...but he is gone so I'll let that sleeping dog lie.
Banks could turn out to be a below average guard but Tomlinson was straight trash in the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone